Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where can I find out how much c4 IRS is worth?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's auto-xing the car.

But I agree with you. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the lesser powered 1st gen rx7s with the Live rear axle smoke the more powerful IRS 2nd gens on the autox. Weight difference should be comparable to power.
_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
I'll throw down with a picture of the garage right now if you do the same. I'm honestly curious. Laughing


Laughing Alright, let's see it!

Only 19x19 so not a lot of room to work with. I can clear that floor space pretty easy. Hoist goes in left front corner out of sight, transmissions go on shelves to the right, and engine goes back on rolling stand. When floor is clear it looks more like bottom picture.

Left side...


Right side...


Things put away...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
That doesn't look very strong as far as mounting goes....


Obviously that wasn't finalized. Very Happy

DBL_TKE wrote:
What, have you been keeping tabs on me lately? The idea for a C4 IRS swap has been spinning in my mind for the past couple months. Does he have a D44?


Pfft. IRS has been bouncing around my head since I found out about c6/c6 cars rear transaxle setup. Would be great to help balance the car.

Twilightoptics wrote:
I just don't see the gains in a IRS vs Live axle on any street car. Plus a 9" or 12 bolt holds any power we want in our street cars.


I could almost agree with you if you had said track car and not street car. The gain in composure over unbalanced and rutted roads alone would sway me to do it. Shrug

aaron_sK wrote:
Ian, I was referring to the upper point like so:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w178/1meanz/vette%20IRS/IRSswap105.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w178/1meanz/pix%20summer%202010/groceryhauler003.jpg

Which now that I look at it seems like it would clear the vert decklid just fine. Doh!


Oh the pinion support? Yeah, he's got a specific mount which I could mimic or just put a factory style'd cbeam in there.

aaron_sK wrote:
I watched him build that entire thing and was not terribly impressed with the amount of labor for the gain. If you're going to put that much work into a backhalf you should start with a better car than a thirdgen. *devils advocate* Wink


Honestly, for a suspension swap it doesn't look like a lot of work. Time, yes. But not a ton of effort was expended? And there are tons of "better" cars out there but I enjoy my trans am much more than just having the fastest car out there. Hell, I don't even have a roof on my car!

_________________

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You look like a guy who stops to clean up after each project. I go for more of a paleontological layering thing with a nice topping of scattered wires from the Camaro rewire project. Wink

Bench that still has Mazda EFI and Ford turbo parts covering it, rollaway is to the right of the bench, GTA seats holding t-tops so I can get some light while I work on the dash harness, wire everywhere:



Around the front we have the bench that used to just be for work tools till it got covered in car parts and wire, the new/old compressor, the old/old compressor, the front clip that really should go back on the car, the flammables cabinet that isn't fireproof, some ladder racks for cargo vans (don't ask Razz) and a bunch of wire everywhere:



On the far side we've got the hoist, engine stand, lawnmower, drill press, two cutoff saws (Paul's fault Razz) the scrap metal pile(s) a chopsaw stand and a bunch more wire!!!



As a nice bonus here's a picture of the mostly complete (believe it or not) body harness:

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You 2 are beginners! Razz Though there's a few nicer pieces then I have mixed in there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, we're still at the shop full of crap level and have yet to upgrade to the barn full of crap. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfft. I got me a barn full of crap in a garage!



Street bike on the left, dirt bike on the right. Two v8 engines, one turbo 4banger engine, a couple tool boxes and at least a thirdgen load of parts!

I hope to get it organized when I finish the bird.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

_________________

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap, Ian! Laughing What's even more impressive is that you can fill 3 large garbage cans every week and still have all that stuff.

Aaron, we're just mere amateurs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group