| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:33 pm Post subject: |
|
|
He's auto-xing the car.
But I agree with you.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:23 pm Post subject: |
|
|
And the lesser powered 1st gen rx7s with the Live rear axle smoke the more powerful IRS 2nd gens on the autox. Weight difference should be comparable to power. _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:50 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| aaron_sK wrote: | I'll throw down with a picture of the garage right now if you do the same. I'm honestly curious.  |
Alright, let's see it!
Only 19x19 so not a lot of room to work with. I can clear that floor space pretty easy. Hoist goes in left front corner out of sight, transmissions go on shelves to the right, and engine goes back on rolling stand. When floor is clear it looks more like bottom picture.
Left side...
Right side...
Things put away...
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
iansane Member

Joined: 16 Jan 2004 Posts: 5742 Location: Bothell
1991 Pontiac Trans Am
|
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:22 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Twilightoptics wrote: | | That doesn't look very strong as far as mounting goes.... |
Obviously that wasn't finalized.
| DBL_TKE wrote: | | What, have you been keeping tabs on me lately? The idea for a C4 IRS swap has been spinning in my mind for the past couple months. Does he have a D44? |
Pfft. IRS has been bouncing around my head since I found out about c6/c6 cars rear transaxle setup. Would be great to help balance the car.
| Twilightoptics wrote: | | I just don't see the gains in a IRS vs Live axle on any street car. Plus a 9" or 12 bolt holds any power we want in our street cars. |
I could almost agree with you if you had said track car and not street car. The gain in composure over unbalanced and rutted roads alone would sway me to do it.
Oh the pinion support? Yeah, he's got a specific mount which I could mimic or just put a factory style'd cbeam in there.
| aaron_sK wrote: | I watched him build that entire thing and was not terribly impressed with the amount of labor for the gain. If you're going to put that much work into a backhalf you should start with a better car than a thirdgen. *devils advocate*  |
Honestly, for a suspension swap it doesn't look like a lot of work. Time, yes. But not a ton of effort was expended? And there are tons of "better" cars out there but I enjoy my trans am much more than just having the fastest car out there. Hell, I don't even have a roof on my car! _________________
| Quote: | | Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth. |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:24 pm Post subject: |
|
|
You look like a guy who stops to clean up after each project. I go for more of a paleontological layering thing with a nice topping of scattered wires from the Camaro rewire project.
Bench that still has Mazda EFI and Ford turbo parts covering it, rollaway is to the right of the bench, GTA seats holding t-tops so I can get some light while I work on the dash harness, wire everywhere:
Around the front we have the bench that used to just be for work tools till it got covered in car parts and wire, the new/old compressor, the old/old compressor, the front clip that really should go back on the car, the flammables cabinet that isn't fireproof, some ladder racks for cargo vans (don't ask ) and a bunch of wire everywhere:
On the far side we've got the hoist, engine stand, lawnmower, drill press, two cutoff saws (Paul's fault ) the scrap metal pile(s) a chopsaw stand and a bunch more wire!!!
As a nice bonus here's a picture of the mostly complete (believe it or not) body harness:
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
chevymad Master B
Joined: 11 Jan 2004 Posts: 5477
1987 Pontiac Formula
|
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:37 pm Post subject: |
|
|
You 2 are beginners! Though there's a few nicer pieces then I have mixed in there. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:39 pm Post subject: |
|
|
I know, we're still at the shop full of crap level and have yet to upgrade to the barn full of crap.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
iansane Member

Joined: 16 Jan 2004 Posts: 5742 Location: Bothell
1991 Pontiac Trans Am
|
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:43 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Pfft. I got me a barn full of crap in a garage!
Street bike on the left, dirt bike on the right. Two v8 engines, one turbo 4banger engine, a couple tool boxes and at least a thirdgen load of parts!
I hope to get it organized when I finish the bird.
 _________________
| Quote: | | Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth. |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:46 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Holy crap, Ian! What's even more impressive is that you can fill 3 large garbage cans every week and still have all that stuff.
Aaron, we're just mere amateurs. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|