| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
BluFbdy Member
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 Posts: 915 Location: Port Orchard WA
1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:31 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Beyond this one I've worked on one other v6 lol everyone I know has a v8 with a few crewbies being the exception my tinkering is on hold til Thursday, I got absolutely screwed at work and I close every night, attempted working on it today and I was a half hour late to work I pulled out some 4 gauge wire and a fuse, followed by a 200amp stinger circuit breaker less than 12 inches away... Apparently they wanted to protect the 200 amp breaker with a 60 amp fuse.... _________________ If you expect a kick to the balls and get a slap to the face its still a victory
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
BluFbdy Member
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 Posts: 915 Location: Port Orchard WA
1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:13 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Checked the timing on the proper cylinder and it was still spot on at 10*.... So idk wtf is up with that, readjusted the tps it was reading .60 at rest and then reset minimum air, checked the firing order and #6 and#3 were backwards. Runs a lot better now but its still just loud lol anything I can do to give this thing some more torque? Without major modifications _________________ If you expect a kick to the balls and get a slap to the face its still a victory
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm Post subject: |
|
|
If you timed it with the drivers side to 10deg BTDC, and you put the light on the front passenger side, it shouldn't have been at 10deg BTDC. _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Alphius Peanut

Joined: 05 Sep 2006 Posts: 2429 Location: Grand Mound
1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:59 pm Post subject: |
|
|
700R4 or T5? I'd like to hear some performance metrics so we can evaluate whether you're seeing a normal amount of power or not. You could just be not used to a 2.8.  _________________ 84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
BluFbdy Member
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 Posts: 915 Location: Port Orchard WA
1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:17 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Honest to god Paul it was at 10* without adjustment, the distributor hold down was also loose when I got it and I just tightened it down.
It's got a 700r4 on it I'm sure its the not being used to it thing, I just wish it had some power of any kind lol I'd do a t5 swap but its my wifes car and we bought it for the auto lol _________________ If you expect a kick to the balls and get a slap to the face its still a victory
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:10 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Twilightoptics wrote: | | If you timed it with the drivers side to 10deg BTDC, and you put the light on the front passenger side, it shouldn't have been at 10deg BTDC. |
Now that's some solid reasoning.
But I totally agree, something seems fishy here. Are you 100% certain that you have the right mark on the balancer, the right mark on the timing pointer and the EST unhooked? |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
BluFbdy Member
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 Posts: 915 Location: Port Orchard WA
1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:33 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Is hope there's only one mark on the balancer, the est was unhooked and I had trouble with the timing tab because I couldn't see the numbers unless I wiped it with a wrt rag, they'd fade once it dried so I made a mark with my hook tool at 10, I may have sscrewed up the first time around d but its running pretty damn smooth now and no sluggish response _________________ If you expect a kick to the balls and get a slap to the face its still a victory
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
91RSVert Member
Joined: 16 May 2007 Posts: 2736 Location: AR
1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:45 pm Post subject: |
|
|
There is only 1 mark on the v6 bal. But I have heard several storys of them spinning. If you have time, set the thing manually to 1TDC and see where your balancer mark is. Also, the v6 is known for eating timing chains, see how much slop is in that chain. They are to be replaced at 30-40k.
The 700r4 just robs power on that v6. I swapped to a t5 and it was like night and day!!!
Otherwise, your trying to move a giant brick with 125hp, and 160?? tq. Imagine what the few with the iron duke 4cyl feels like. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:47 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| 91RSVert wrote: | There is only 1 mark on the v6 bal. But I have heard several storys of them spinning. If you have time, set the thing manually to 1TDC and see where your balancer mark is. Also, the v6 is known for eating timing chains, see how much slop is in that chain. They are to be replaced at 30-40k.
The 700r4 just robs power on that v6. I swapped to a t5 and it was like night and day!!!
Otherwise, your trying to move a giant brick with 125hp, and 160?? tq. Imagine what the few with the iron duke 4cyl feels like. |
Yup. _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:57 pm Post subject: |
|
|
IIRC it's the timing chain tensioner that fails on those motors.
I'll 100% agree with the weight and the 700R4 issue. I could blow my brother's 3.1/700R4 Firebird out of the water with my 2.8/5-speed Cavalier. 2700lbs vs. 3600lbs.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Al Hasse Member

Joined: 19 Nov 2005 Posts: 4379 Location: Bremerton, WA
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:12 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| For my 3.1, it was the nylon tips on the gears that wore down and let the chain fall off. This was a few thousand miles before the thrust bearing went away and the motor ultimately replaced. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
BluFbdy Member
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 Posts: 915 Location: Port Orchard WA
1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:12 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Balls. It never gets easy does it? Lol so what all is involved with checking/ replacingthe chain on this thing? I need to replace the valve guides on it but I'm afraid to do it without someone's help who knows what they're doing, I've always just had hem replaced when I get the heads worked but I wanna do it on the motor, I know there's a possibility that the valve can drop in but I wanna do the string trick _________________ If you expect a kick to the balls and get a slap to the face its still a victory
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:41 pm Post subject: |
|
|
You absolutely cannot replace valve guides on the engine.
Seals yes, but you'll want an air compressor, spark plug fitting for compressor, valve spring compressor for your native motor.
Timing chain? I can't remember if the pan has to come off, but the whole from the of the motor to pull the timing cover off. _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
BluFbdy Member
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 Posts: 915 Location: Port Orchard WA
1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:32 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Twilightoptics wrote: | You absolutely cannot replace valve guides on the engine.
Seals yes, but you'll want an air compressor, spark plug fitting for compressor, valve spring compressor for your native motor.
Timing chain? I can't remember if the pan has to come off, but the whole from the of the motor to pull the timing cover off. |
You understood what I meant lol I'm not liking the burning oil, that I can do at the house with some spare time but I'm not entirely sure I'm ready to tackle the chain ill check to see if it slipped but if its not I'm sweeping that under the rug for now lol _________________ If you expect a kick to the balls and get a slap to the face its still a victory
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
blue89 Member

Joined: 23 May 2006 Posts: 3482 Location: Bellingham/Eugene
1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:07 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| When you say it doesn't go anywhere, is it downshifting correctly? If the kickdown cable isn't adjust right it will hang at high WOT and not down shift. If you lift a little it will down shift and you will be on your way again. Just a thought. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
BluFbdy Member
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 Posts: 915 Location: Port Orchard WA
1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:47 pm Post subject: |
|
|
I'd like to readjust both cables the cable to shift it into gear is out of adjustment I have to shove it into park to get it to actually go into park lol it seems to downshift ok, I've only driven down the street, Monday its going into work with me so ill have a longer drive to actually evaluate its problems _________________ If you expect a kick to the balls and get a slap to the face its still a victory
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
91RSVert Member
Joined: 16 May 2007 Posts: 2736 Location: AR
1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:54 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| aaron_sK wrote: | IIRC it's the timing chain tensioner that fails on those motors.
|
There is no tensioner, just a guide. And when the chain gets sloppy, it chips the nylon off the guide. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
BluFbdy Member
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 Posts: 915 Location: Port Orchard WA
1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:15 pm Post subject: |
|
|
So I never checked the chain yet but I did drive it into work today, got the windshield replaced and a deck in it, carpets and seats are drying because I detailed it. The damn carpet was green O.o in any case on the drive it was hesitating under load, cruising at 45 through burley I had it steady and it was fluctating the rpms a bit, maybe 50-75, enough to hear it and slightly feel it _________________ If you expect a kick to the balls and get a slap to the face its still a victory
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:37 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Could be fuel, could be O2, could be vacuum leak. _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
BluFbdy Member
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 Posts: 915 Location: Port Orchard WA
1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:39 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Well I found out there's no thermostat. And it takes forever and a day to warm up, not seeing the fan kick on either idk if its just jot getting hot enough or if its screwed also. The pigtail for the gauge is totally jacked so I have no idea what the temp is.
Gotta fix the pigtail and do more t shooting, I'm not throwing anycodes for anything I checked after every drive today I guess I can check fuel pressure for the hell of it, _________________ If you expect a kick to the balls and get a slap to the face its still a victory
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|