| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
chevymad Master B
Joined: 11 Jan 2004 Posts: 5477
1987 Pontiac Formula
|
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:37 am Post subject: |
|
|
| A guy does have to make a profit... But still thats cheap! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
IROCDave Member
Joined: 16 Jan 2010 Posts: 957 Location: Snohomish WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:54 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Well, it's not like I am buying it from an anonymous sorce. The guy that runs our yard is a car guy. See the pictures of my works car show, he is building that primered black, chromed BBC slammed Dodge coupe with the suicide doors and air bag suspension. The company would like the trucks to go to people that will use them, not clean them up and sell for a profit.
If I could pick up several of them I would, and pass on the good deal to the crew members. I am fortunate to still be working and times are tough for lots of people today. I feel awkward even discussing this. Buying a vehicle way below it's value and pulling out parts to put into something that is a hobby vehicle when alot of people would drive the wheels of of it.
If it was wrecked it would be a different story. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:28 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Don't feel guilty. You're being smart with your money. Take opportunities when they rise. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Dewey316 The Lama

Joined: 08 Jan 2004 Posts: 7295 Location: Bringing the tech
1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:26 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Yeah, you are getting a great deal, go for it. If I could come across a 6.0L for that price, I would have it in the garage by now, no questions asked. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:35 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| IROCDave wrote: | | when alot of people would drive the wheels of of it. |
Have you tried to sell a work truck lately? And I mean a real work truck, not a fourby, not a shortbox/half-ton/supercab/girlmobile, but a real work truck? Can't give those things away. All the unemployed carpenters took the bottom out of that market. I would scrap 'em in a heartbeat.
I would also like to note, in the interest of full disclosure, that if any of those trucks get sent down the road and have a headache rack on them I would be very interested in some measurements to see if they would fit on my Ford. 
Last edited by aaron_sK on Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:01 pm; edited 2 times in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:55 pm Post subject: |
|
|
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
IROCDave Member
Joined: 16 Jan 2010 Posts: 957 Location: Snohomish WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:26 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Lol, the truck I gave my dad had a tubular rack on it. The rack that was on his old truck was made of rectangular steel. He tracked the guy down and got the rack back, cut it apart and rewelded it back together so that it would fit the newer bed.
He sold the other rack on Cl for 250.00. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:31 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Ahh, you guys are running full-length lumber racks, huh? I'm looking for just a vertical headache rack to keep crap from smacking into the back window. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
iansane Member

Joined: 16 Jan 2004 Posts: 5742 Location: Bothell
1991 Pontiac Trans Am
|
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:15 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| IROCDave wrote: | Well, it's not like I am buying it from an anonymous sorce. The guy that runs our yard is a car guy. See the pictures of my works car show, he is building that primered black, chromed BBC slammed Dodge coupe with the suicide doors and air bag suspension. The company would like the trucks to go to people that will use them, not clean them up and sell for a profit.
If I could pick up several of them I would, and pass on the good deal to the crew members. I am fortunate to still be working and times are tough for lots of people today. I feel awkward even discussing this. Buying a vehicle way below it's value and pulling out parts to put into something that is a hobby vehicle when alot of people would drive the wheels of of it.
If it was wrecked it would be a different story. |
As aaron said, it's difficult to even give away actual work trucks. Profit is hardly what it'd be called. Breaking even is more likely. Dave, you're a smart guy and regardless of how bad the job market is, you've put yourself in the career position you're in because of the decisions you've made. Good ones. If you can afford to play a bit and make your free time more fun, do it. No one is going to look down on you for wrenching. With that being said, buying a pair of trucks to beat on for awhile and then have 6.0 motors for both your cars wouldn't be a bad investment at all.
I know I'm interested to see what you'll do.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:16 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| So is this still a dilemma or did you buy it? |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|