Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible engine donor dilema
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy does have to make a profit... But still thats cheap!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
IROCDave
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 957
Location: Snohomish WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not like I am buying it from an anonymous sorce. The guy that runs our yard is a car guy. See the pictures of my works car show, he is building that primered black, chromed BBC slammed Dodge coupe with the suicide doors and air bag suspension. The company would like the trucks to go to people that will use them, not clean them up and sell for a profit.

If I could pick up several of them I would, and pass on the good deal to the crew members. I am fortunate to still be working and times are tough for lots of people today. I feel awkward even discussing this. Buying a vehicle way below it's value and pulling out parts to put into something that is a hobby vehicle when alot of people would drive the wheels of of it.

If it was wrecked it would be a different story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel guilty. You're being smart with your money. Take opportunities when they rise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dewey316
The Lama


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 7295
Location: Bringing the tech

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you are getting a great deal, go for it. If I could come across a 6.0L for that price, I would have it in the garage by now, no questions asked.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IROCDave wrote:
when alot of people would drive the wheels of of it.


Have you tried to sell a work truck lately? And I mean a real work truck, not a fourby, not a shortbox/half-ton/supercab/girlmobile, but a real work truck? Can't give those things away. All the unemployed carpenters took the bottom out of that market. I would scrap 'em in a heartbeat.

I would also like to note, in the interest of full disclosure, that if any of those trucks get sent down the road and have a headache rack on them I would be very interested in some measurements to see if they would fit on my Ford. Very Happy


Last edited by aaron_sK on Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with stupid
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IROCDave
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 957
Location: Snohomish WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, the truck I gave my dad had a tubular rack on it. The rack that was on his old truck was made of rectangular steel. He tracked the guy down and got the rack back, cut it apart and rewelded it back together so that it would fit the newer bed.

He sold the other rack on Cl for 250.00.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, you guys are running full-length lumber racks, huh? I'm looking for just a vertical headache rack to keep crap from smacking into the back window.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IROCDave wrote:
Well, it's not like I am buying it from an anonymous sorce. The guy that runs our yard is a car guy. See the pictures of my works car show, he is building that primered black, chromed BBC slammed Dodge coupe with the suicide doors and air bag suspension. The company would like the trucks to go to people that will use them, not clean them up and sell for a profit.

If I could pick up several of them I would, and pass on the good deal to the crew members. I am fortunate to still be working and times are tough for lots of people today. I feel awkward even discussing this. Buying a vehicle way below it's value and pulling out parts to put into something that is a hobby vehicle when alot of people would drive the wheels of of it.

If it was wrecked it would be a different story.


As aaron said, it's difficult to even give away actual work trucks. Profit is hardly what it'd be called. Breaking even is more likely. Dave, you're a smart guy and regardless of how bad the job market is, you've put yourself in the career position you're in because of the decisions you've made. Good ones. If you can afford to play a bit and make your free time more fun, do it. No one is going to look down on you for wrenching. With that being said, buying a pair of trucks to beat on for awhile and then have 6.0 motors for both your cars wouldn't be a bad investment at all.

I know I'm interested to see what you'll do. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is this still a dilemma or did you buy it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group