Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1LE Resto time!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How wide are you going, or are you just re-offsetting them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
charlie6178

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going 17x9.5 with a 5.5" BS with a 275/40/17 tire all the way around. I was hoping for a little more lip, but whatever. It will work! Look stock, and sit way flush. Should look pretty clean aslong as everything works as I plan lol like I said that's just the first rough draft. I figure I'll have to cut, and re tack it numerous times before I actually figure out exactly how I'm gonna make all 4, the simplest, strongest, and most sanitary design. But roughly, that's what it'll look like. But the face will have a fresh, remachined finish, and they will be clear coated.
DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can definitely have a bigger lip, just go wider. 10" will be pushing it in the front for a 17" diameter wheel but will be doable if you still use a 275 wide tire and just go with an 11" wide rear wheel. If it were me I'd make it a 3 piece wheel in an 18" diameter.
Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
charlie6178

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going wider will just push the barrel further into the wheel well, it won't give you any more lip. once the lip is at the edge of the fender, and the center is bolted down, it doesn't matter how wide you make the wheel, the lip is still going to be in the same place.

the original plan was to build the wheels at a 3 piece, and i still haven't 100% ruled that out as a last resort. if i do it as a 3 piece wheel, i'll hide the bolts on the back side like Fikse does tho.

the reason i like the 17x9.5 all the way around is the availablity, and price of the 275/40/17 tires, and i like the idea of the same size tire on all 4 corners. i wouldn't hate 18's, but i think 17's are a little more reasonable, and i already had a few 17's to cut up lol

DBL_TKE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If possible, you could cut out the mounting pad and make it a lot shallower, that way the face of the wheel sits inbard more, essentially allowing you to have a larger dish.
Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
charlie6178

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is 100% accurate. But... Easier said than done. I looked at that. Not absolutely impossible, but it will be ALOT more work to do. I wanted to start on my set of wheels this weekend, but I have a dog show to go to with my lovely girlfriend, so probly gonna have to wait til next weekend.
charlie6178

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

back from the dead! so after a breif break from the third gen, i spent a few hours pushing parts towards the car last week, put a new battery in it, and fired it up! not necessarily to drive it, but to get some solid motivation to GET IT DONE FOR SUMMER!!!!!

i got all of the painted parts atleast on the car. everything still needs a few more screws, and to me all aligned and tightened, but none the less, it's all there! i went though my parts pile for it, and separated, tossed out, and organized everything for the car. i'm going to go through and make a list of what all i need left to get it dont this week, and try to keep progress going on it. it's pretty damn close to being on the road!

as far as the wheel delimma... i decided to go with a wheel that was an off the shelf wheel for now. most of you will be suprised to see it on a gen 3 car.. TT2's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what?!?!?! original??? yes... i know. but i had the front wheels, then i scored the rer 17x11's with brand new 315 DR's for dirt cheap, so what the heck? through them on!

i think realistically i'm probably only about $1500-$2000 away from it being 100% done and ready to hit the streets!

i've just been lurking for a bit, and collecting parts, and working crazy hours at work, so i haven't had a moment to even think about the car recently.

i did score a pair or 113 casting aluminum heads, another 92 L98 roller block, and some bits and pieces to stash away for a motor build on the car later on down the road. i'd love to find a good deal on a TPIS mini ram, and a pair of the factory cast alumninum L98 corvette valvecovers to throw in the pile with those pieces!

Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. Old friend had those wheels on a '88 white formula rose and it looked sweet.
jchaussee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always liked the newer torque thrusts on these cars.
charlie6178

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it doesn't look bad at all. i went 17x9 front with a 5" BS and 17x11 rear with the 7" BS so the lips and fit are identical front t rear. 255 front tire and 315 rear. i'm DEF doing to be putting some sportlines in it before it hits the road!
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 17x8 and 17x9.5 TTIIs with 245 fronts and 275 rears on my Z28 for a while. They're not a bad looking wheel, and I got mine basically free so there is that. Laughing

The car is looking real good man.

91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good, glad to see it coming back together.
charlie6178

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i got the rest of my deals and window felts, i'm going to pull the car into the middle of the shop, and put it up in the air so it's in my way every day until it's done! dyno day is the goal to have it on the road!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: