Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

There is another...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my other confession. I like to collect swap parts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For James' sake I went out and took a better picture.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flea
Member


Joined: 25 Jul 2008
Posts: 1246
Location: Raymond WA

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
That's okay, B. I got the Cascade Crew drunks and my turbochargers to keep me company. Laughing


No A/C delete boxes??

Sad

_________________
Killing mailboxes since 2009
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
turbo_jimi
Member


Joined: 23 Feb 2004
Posts: 1206
Location: Tacoma

1985 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's better. Smile
_________________

1985 Z28 Crate 350, Hurst T-5, 3.23s, Flowmaster Under previous set-up: 143.82 rwhp 216.98 lbs. torque @4390 rpms 3/12/11
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flea wrote:
A/C delete boxes??(


I'm up to my eyes in A/C delete boxes! Take two, they're small!

turbo_jimi wrote:
That's better. Smile


The more you know. Wink

An update: I started tearing apart the Ford. I forgot what a fighter this truck is. Everything is overtightened and rusty and cramped and covered in soot.

The downpipe barely fits. I'm going to have to cut the current exhaust apart as I cannot get it out without removing the skidplate and that is a lot of work and somewhat dangerous to do alone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a skidplate. I think at some point in your trucks history it went through a construction zone and kicked up one of those giant metal sheets you drive over. It just got stuck.
_________________

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logical! LMAO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RSFreak
The other "John"


Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Posts: 2946
Location: Renton

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
Or maybe he wanted to see if you'd ever get the BBC running and then he died of old age. Razz


Laughing

_________________
'86 Trans Am - 5.0L TPI - LT1 cam - 700R4 - WS6
'85 Camaro Berlinetta - IROC clone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lest you think Ian a crazy person, this is the skid plate in question:


1/2" plate. Never weighed it but it takes a jack to get it up there, I physically cannot bench press it up there. Also note that while the previous owners were overbuilding they also installed dual 3" pipes. Yup, that's right, log manifolds into true 3" duals on a naturally aspirated diesel. Rolling Eyes The downpipe off the new turbo is only 3"! Laughing

Engine stripped down, fuel return crossover relocated, glowplug harness has fancy foil tubing: Laughing


There is a seam where the firewall meets the pan of the cab that has about a inch and a half lip right over the transmission tunnel. This is obviously no good for uppipe and downpipe installaion, so the Milwaukee went back to work. I actually had to cut out significantly more than shown here:


Hey! Pipes! Where do those go?


Ohh... that's where they go:


Please ignore my rigged up oil pressure sender. I was aiming to get this thing running tonight but the oil return tube was too short and it was getting dark so I gave up and ate dinner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbo the Mazder. Then you will have the trifecta. Laughing

Triforce-ed Induction.

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the rings in the Mazda don't have enough problems.

Besides, I already decided on what I am doing with that truck if I keep it. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That truck is going to feel like a new breed of animal with the turbo on it. Nice upgrade!

That "skid plate" doesn't have a single mark on it, does it? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
That "skid plate" doesn't have a single mark on it, does it?


Nope! Laughing At least no significant ones.

Whoever installed the overdrive unit was not very imaginative. Instead of moving the factory crossmember back, or building a new crossmember, they just cut the old one in half and welded it into that silly plate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IROCDave
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 957
Location: Snohomish WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that skid plate is stout. Looks alot like a light duty road plate......I can just picture a methead being pinned under your truck trying to swipe that plate for scrap.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
91RSVert
Member


Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 2736
Location: AR

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet you could get another 1-2 mpg leaving that thing off if you never take it off road. Holy crap!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

91RSVert wrote:
I bet you could get another 1-2 mpg leaving that thing off!


I get basically the same mileage towing as I do empty so I doubt that a couple hundred pounds of skidplate makes that much difference. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
91RSVert
Member


Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 2736
Location: AR

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
I get basically the same mileage towing as I do empty so I doubt that a couple hundred pounds of skidplate makes that much difference. Laughing


Wow, mine drops quickly with a load.
20-21 empty highway
16 highway with empty carhauler
14 highway with dodge intrepid on carhauler
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, Jay. If I could get 21 highway in my Ford I'd sell the Mazda! Laughing.

Mine is frighteningly consistent. The only way I can affect the economy is by romping on it when it's cold, or by running it above 2500rpm for any length of time.

I know I've mentioned it on here before, but when I drove the Ford down to Dyno 2011 I went down with myself and one other guy in the cab, a sway bar in the bed and whatever miscellaneous tools behind the seat. I got 12.9mpg. On the way back up I had two guys plus myself in the cab, a complete 9-bolt axle in the bed, and this was following us. I got 12.1. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
91RSVert
Member


Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 2736
Location: AR

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still havent figured out what it gets in town. But I know its scary. Also on the cold days, it gets worse, thats for sure.

I guess something else to factor in was that I was driving thru the delta on flat roads on all of the figures. Same route, different times. Where your mostly hills I'm guessing??


Here was my setup on the one. https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/166682_10150090229538030_3161546_n.jpg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I-5 through here is all long low hills. I'm curious what gearing you're running.

My ratios are screwed up because of my non-locking torque converter, but at 2500rpm on flat ground with the 2-speed in high gear I am at 65mph. When I get to a hill the rpm stays the same but the speed drops due to converter slip. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group