| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:07 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| That's my other confession. I like to collect swap parts. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:59 pm Post subject: |
|
|
For James' sake I went out and took a better picture.
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
flea Member

Joined: 25 Jul 2008 Posts: 1246 Location: Raymond WA
1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:49 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| aaron_sK wrote: | That's okay, B. I got the Cascade Crew drunks and my turbochargers to keep me company.  |
No A/C delete boxes??
 _________________ Killing mailboxes since 2009 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
turbo_jimi Member

Joined: 23 Feb 2004 Posts: 1206 Location: Tacoma
1985 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:27 pm Post subject: |
|
|
That's better.  _________________
1985 Z28 Crate 350, Hurst T-5, 3.23s, Flowmaster Under previous set-up: 143.82 rwhp 216.98 lbs. torque @4390 rpms 3/12/11 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:09 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| flea wrote: | | A/C delete boxes??( |
I'm up to my eyes in A/C delete boxes! Take two, they're small!
| turbo_jimi wrote: | That's better.  |
The more you know.
An update: I started tearing apart the Ford. I forgot what a fighter this truck is. Everything is overtightened and rusty and cramped and covered in soot.
The downpipe barely fits. I'm going to have to cut the current exhaust apart as I cannot get it out without removing the skidplate and that is a lot of work and somewhat dangerous to do alone. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
iansane Member

Joined: 16 Jan 2004 Posts: 5742 Location: Bothell
1991 Pontiac Trans Am
|
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:56 pm Post subject: |
|
|
That's not a skidplate. I think at some point in your trucks history it went through a construction zone and kicked up one of those giant metal sheets you drive over. It just got stuck. _________________
| Quote: | | Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth. |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:57 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Logical!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
RSFreak The other "John"

Joined: 23 Jan 2004 Posts: 2946 Location: Renton
1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:56 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| aaron_sK wrote: | Or maybe he wanted to see if you'd ever get the BBC running and then he died of old age.  |
 _________________ '86 Trans Am - 5.0L TPI - LT1 cam - 700R4 - WS6
'85 Camaro Berlinetta - IROC clone
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:15 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Lest you think Ian a crazy person, this is the skid plate in question:
1/2" plate. Never weighed it but it takes a jack to get it up there, I physically cannot bench press it up there. Also note that while the previous owners were overbuilding they also installed dual 3" pipes. Yup, that's right, log manifolds into true 3" duals on a naturally aspirated diesel. The downpipe off the new turbo is only 3"!
Engine stripped down, fuel return crossover relocated, glowplug harness has fancy foil tubing:
There is a seam where the firewall meets the pan of the cab that has about a inch and a half lip right over the transmission tunnel. This is obviously no good for uppipe and downpipe installaion, so the Milwaukee went back to work. I actually had to cut out significantly more than shown here:
Hey! Pipes! Where do those go?
Ohh... that's where they go:
Please ignore my rigged up oil pressure sender. I was aiming to get this thing running tonight but the oil return tube was too short and it was getting dark so I gave up and ate dinner. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Alphius Peanut

Joined: 05 Sep 2006 Posts: 2429 Location: Grand Mound
1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:25 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Turbo the Mazder. Then you will have the trifecta.
Triforce-ed Induction. _________________ 84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:08 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Because the rings in the Mazda don't have enough problems.
Besides, I already decided on what I am doing with that truck if I keep it.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:21 am Post subject: |
|
|
That truck is going to feel like a new breed of animal with the turbo on it. Nice upgrade!
That "skid plate" doesn't have a single mark on it, does it?  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:31 am Post subject: |
|
|
| QwkTrip wrote: | | That "skid plate" doesn't have a single mark on it, does it? |
Nope! At least no significant ones.
Whoever installed the overdrive unit was not very imaginative. Instead of moving the factory crossmember back, or building a new crossmember, they just cut the old one in half and welded it into that silly plate. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
IROCDave Member
Joined: 16 Jan 2010 Posts: 957 Location: Snohomish WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:17 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Man that skid plate is stout. Looks alot like a light duty road plate......I can just picture a methead being pinned under your truck trying to swipe that plate for scrap. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
91RSVert Member
Joined: 16 May 2007 Posts: 2736 Location: AR
1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:23 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| I bet you could get another 1-2 mpg leaving that thing off if you never take it off road. Holy crap!!! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:28 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| 91RSVert wrote: | | I bet you could get another 1-2 mpg leaving that thing off! |
I get basically the same mileage towing as I do empty so I doubt that a couple hundred pounds of skidplate makes that much difference.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
91RSVert Member
Joined: 16 May 2007 Posts: 2736 Location: AR
1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:38 am Post subject: |
|
|
| aaron_sK wrote: | I get basically the same mileage towing as I do empty so I doubt that a couple hundred pounds of skidplate makes that much difference.  |
Wow, mine drops quickly with a load.
20-21 empty highway
16 highway with empty carhauler
14 highway with dodge intrepid on carhauler |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:45 am Post subject: |
|
|
Jesus, Jay. If I could get 21 highway in my Ford I'd sell the Mazda! .
Mine is frighteningly consistent. The only way I can affect the economy is by romping on it when it's cold, or by running it above 2500rpm for any length of time.
I know I've mentioned it on here before, but when I drove the Ford down to Dyno 2011 I went down with myself and one other guy in the cab, a sway bar in the bed and whatever miscellaneous tools behind the seat. I got 12.9mpg. On the way back up I had two guys plus myself in the cab, a complete 9-bolt axle in the bed, and this was following us. I got 12.1.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
91RSVert Member
Joined: 16 May 2007 Posts: 2736 Location: AR
1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:11 am Post subject: |
|
|
I still havent figured out what it gets in town. But I know its scary. Also on the cold days, it gets worse, thats for sure.
I guess something else to factor in was that I was driving thru the delta on flat roads on all of the figures. Same route, different times. Where your mostly hills I'm guessing??
Here was my setup on the one. https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/166682_10150090229538030_3161546_n.jpg |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:40 am Post subject: |
|
|
I-5 through here is all long low hills. I'm curious what gearing you're running.
My ratios are screwed up because of my non-locking torque converter, but at 2500rpm on flat ground with the 2-speed in high gear I am at 65mph. When I get to a hill the rpm stays the same but the speed drops due to converter slip.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|