| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:09 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Wait, I thought the 5.3L tahoe motor was a LS? Just iron block? _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
iansane Member

Joined: 16 Jan 2004 Posts: 5742 Location: Bothell
1991 Pontiac Trans Am
|
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:37 pm Post subject: |
|
|
It's LS based but LS1/2/3/4/6/7/9 are just the codes for the motor. The 5.3 truck engine is most commonly LM7 (what I have). Also could be L33, L59, LH6 and a host of other ones depending on year, iron/alum, flex fuel capable, DOD/AFM/VVT, etc. _________________
| Quote: | | Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth. |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:11 am Post subject: |
|
|
| Twilightoptics wrote: | | Wait, I thought the 5.3L tahoe motor was a LS? Just iron block? |
Sounds like you've had too much TGO, Paul!
They share the same design, and some parts will physically interchange, but they share no actual components and the dimensions are wrong (4.8 and 5.3 are smaller bore). Guys like Ian who do the swap are basically building an LM/LS hybrid. That's why I said all he would be buying is the longblock.
BTW, you got PM, Paul. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
jchaussee Member
Joined: 14 Nov 2010 Posts: 1318 Location: renton
|
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:49 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| I offered,him 150. If he says yes ill buy it. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
jchaussee Member
Joined: 14 Nov 2010 Posts: 1318 Location: renton
|
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:53 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Jon. When you,say 5k is that just engine and accesories ? Or is that other associated items? |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:41 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| That's to get the car driving. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
blue89 Member

Joined: 23 May 2006 Posts: 3482 Location: Bellingham/Eugene
1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:33 pm Post subject: |
|
|
I thought I would toss in that the ECM software is not cheap either. It was running $200 for a license, don't know what it costs now adays. I would also agree with Jon that a 4L60E will be far more consistant and equally fun to drive. Plus you can tune it and run flappy paddles (if you're into that kind of thing). _________________ E30
86 RS - 7.4L V8 SOLD
89 RS - 3.25L V6 REMOVED
89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
jchaussee Member
Joined: 14 Nov 2010 Posts: 1318 Location: renton
|
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:56 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| I have been looking at,autos now more cause I may want to turbo it later. The softwarei was looking at was about 400 or so. But well worth it for futire upgrades. Also,if you,use painless wiring kit they will flash ecm for free. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:05 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Painless Wiring is one of the highest cost rip-off options you can find. A stock engine harness and fuse center is better.
If you want a cheap tune that's close enough then do a mail order tune from Texas Speed. Painless doesn't know jack crap about custom tuning. I bet they just put a stock tune on it, and every ECM you get will have a stock tune already. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
jchaussee Member
Joined: 14 Nov 2010 Posts: 1318 Location: renton
|
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:24 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| I heard you got to have it flashed first to get rid of all the anti theft crap and stuff like that. Also on I side note ill be in f town tomorow. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Al Hasse Member

Joined: 19 Nov 2005 Posts: 4379 Location: Bremerton, WA
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:05 pm Post subject: |
|
|
I can vouch for Painless being anything but painless. Granted, all the wires are there, but the install is very PAINFUL. The harness I had a hand in doing was for a carbureted motor, so should have been easy, but nooo. _________________ 92 Camaro
89 Camaro
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:13 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Third-ed.
Painless is garbage. Very overpriced, quality lacking, any semblance of logical design lacking as well. Modify the stock stuff or build your own.
Back on topic: If you have a stock ECM then you can do the HPTuners jazz for around $400, or go MegaSquirt for about the same price if you don't. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
jchaussee Member
Joined: 14 Nov 2010 Posts: 1318 Location: renton
|
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:26 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Id like megasquirt but dont kniw if I am smart enougj |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:38 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| No offense but if you don't feel you're smart enough to get an MS setup going then you're probably not going to be able to modify a stock harness, get it properly installed in the car, and then tune the factory ECM with HPTuner. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
jchaussee Member
Joined: 14 Nov 2010 Posts: 1318 Location: renton
|
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:39 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| I can tune a ecm. I cant build one. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:52 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Buy it built from DIYEFI. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
jchaussee Member
Joined: 14 Nov 2010 Posts: 1318 Location: renton
|
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:56 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Ya. I've been looking. One thing though that appealed to me while reading gabes thread was the do everything yourself aspect. I may give it a shot. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:33 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| The factory PCM is really good and has all the safety features and diagnostics built in. I wouldn't built a Mega Squirt unless that's your idea of fun. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|