Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice or opinions
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, I thought the 5.3L tahoe motor was a LS? Just iron block?
_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's LS based but LS1/2/3/4/6/7/9 are just the codes for the motor. The 5.3 truck engine is most commonly LM7 (what I have). Also could be L33, L59, LH6 and a host of other ones depending on year, iron/alum, flex fuel capable, DOD/AFM/VVT, etc.
_________________

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
Wait, I thought the 5.3L tahoe motor was a LS? Just iron block?


Sounds like you've had too much TGO, Paul! Razz Laughing

They share the same design, and some parts will physically interchange, but they share no actual components and the dimensions are wrong (4.8 and 5.3 are smaller bore). Guys like Ian who do the swap are basically building an LM/LS hybrid. That's why I said all he would be buying is the longblock.

BTW, you got PM, Paul.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jchaussee
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 1318
Location: renton


PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I offered,him 150. If he says yes ill buy it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jchaussee
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 1318
Location: renton


PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon. When you,say 5k is that just engine and accesories ? Or is that other associated items?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's to get the car driving.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would toss in that the ECM software is not cheap either. It was running $200 for a license, don't know what it costs now adays. I would also agree with Jon that a 4L60E will be far more consistant and equally fun to drive. Plus you can tune it and run flappy paddles (if you're into that kind of thing).
_________________
E30
86 RS - 7.4L V8 SOLD
89 RS - 3.25L V6 REMOVED
89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jchaussee
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 1318
Location: renton


PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking at,autos now more cause I may want to turbo it later. The softwarei was looking at was about 400 or so. But well worth it for futire upgrades. Also,if you,use painless wiring kit they will flash ecm for free.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painless Wiring is one of the highest cost rip-off options you can find. A stock engine harness and fuse center is better.

If you want a cheap tune that's close enough then do a mail order tune from Texas Speed. Painless doesn't know jack crap about custom tuning. I bet they just put a stock tune on it, and every ECM you get will have a stock tune already.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jchaussee
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 1318
Location: renton


PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard you got to have it flashed first to get rid of all the anti theft crap and stuff like that. Also on I side note ill be in f town tomorow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for Painless being anything but painless. Granted, all the wires are there, but the install is very PAINFUL. The harness I had a hand in doing was for a carbureted motor, so should have been easy, but nooo.
_________________
92 Camaro
89 Camaro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third-ed.

Painless is garbage. Very overpriced, quality lacking, any semblance of logical design lacking as well. Modify the stock stuff or build your own.

Back on topic: If you have a stock ECM then you can do the HPTuners jazz for around $400, or go MegaSquirt for about the same price if you don't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jchaussee
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 1318
Location: renton


PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id like megasquirt but dont kniw if I am smart enougj
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense but if you don't feel you're smart enough to get an MS setup going then you're probably not going to be able to modify a stock harness, get it properly installed in the car, and then tune the factory ECM with HPTuner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jchaussee
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 1318
Location: renton


PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tune a ecm. I cant build one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy it built from DIYEFI.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jchaussee
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 1318
Location: renton


PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya. I've been looking. One thing though that appealed to me while reading gabes thread was the do everything yourself aspect. I may give it a shot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The factory PCM is really good and has all the safety features and diagnostics built in. I wouldn't built a Mega Squirt unless that's your idea of fun.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group