Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weight
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jchaussee wrote:
I guy on TGO redid his whole front end. I don't know how much wieght he loss though


I browsed around and couldnt find anything. Could you post a link?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search fail. Razz

Roundy-round car:
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/fabrication/526926-3rd-gen-camaro-street.html

This guy built one in a drag car. His pictures are kinda crappy and scattered throughout his album:
http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad302/rayjr389/

Another drag car:
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/posts/organized-drag-racing-autocross/500471-post-pics-third-gen/3974818-post123.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fuel for the fire. Thanks Aaron! Buried in all those posts, I found some really good stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how much a bare stripped chassis weights?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1150lbs

Wink

That was without:

Engine
Trans
Axle
Gas tank
Front spindles
Springs
Shocks/Struts
Hood
Hatch glass

These are some horrendously overbuilt pigs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did that include hood nose fenders doors and front glass? I assume so but i just want to check. That is pretty heavy. Any idea where most of that weight hides? I'm guessing the inner cabin area. I see lots of layered material in the pillars, roof, and rear passenger area.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
91RSVert
Member


Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 2736
Location: AR

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Tons of layered areas. Quite a bit of it on the rear body panel as well.

I wish someone made aluminum hoods and fenders for our cars rather then fiberglass.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish some one made light fiberglass panels. The front fenders dont weight much, its that damn outer hood skin! Ive seen people say the nose is light but i disagree. By the time you add the headlight bar and all the other goodies its quite heavy and at the worst point for weight.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I delivered the nose cone with headlight bar and brackets to Dewey it seemed like it was easily 30 lbs, but not too much more. I should have weighed it while I had it.
_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i got a quote from a steel place here. For 1.75" 0.120 wall DOM, it is $7.83/ft. Does that seem right? Should i use a different size for a cage type material? The SCCA lists 1.5" 0.120" for vehicles over x weight. This of course isnt inside the cabin but to avoid problems i want to copy that format. This will not be nhra approved, just scca.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
RSFreak
The other "John"


Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Posts: 2946
Location: Renton

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever laid that bike down, you'd be dead! Or missing a leg at the very least! Shocked
_________________
'86 Trans Am - 5.0L TPI - LT1 cam - 700R4 - WS6
'85 Camaro Berlinetta - IROC clone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorcycles? Not for me. This is to brace my car.

And scca says 1.75 0.095 can be used instead of 1.5 .120". I will see what a quote for that is. Should be a little lighter. All DOM, of course.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My scale weight included:

Fenders
Crash bar
Nose cover
All glass except hatch

No hood

I desperatly need to get a scale in my shop. I go through so many cars and parts and I would love to start recording this stuff. Anyone got an old bathroom scale they're tired of? Laughing


The entire center of the chassis is all folded sheet; origami BS.

There is a lot of weight in that, and not a lot you can do about it. I have read that there is as much weight in a t-top bar as their is in a hardtop roof skin, and having cut out the t-top bar I believe it.

Front fenders are light as f***, and the knockoff fenders from a wrecked car are even lighter if you don't care about how crappy they look full of dents and waves.

Crossfire hood is not a whole ton lighter than the steel hood. I'm thinking an aftermarket flat glass hood is probably what I will go with on mine. Hard to find; everyone wants cowls because of their small d***s. Rolling Eyes

Headlight bar doesn't weigh a lot, it is glass. The skin is not too heavy either.

The crash bar is pretty hefty. 40-50lbs. maybe? Look for an aluminum one or build one.

To be honest with you the biggest single weight removal I got was the carpet and front two cylinders of the engine. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 4417
Location: Gresham, OR

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
...everyone wants cowls because of their small d***s. Rolling Eyes


Hey now! LOL

Laughing

-Schultzy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jchaussee
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 1318
Location: renton


PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be packin a pea shooter, cause I just bought a cowl hood
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2580 me and a full tank of fuel (16gal)
2380 car with fuel
2284 car



;0)

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
2580 me and a full tank of fuel (16gal)
2380 car with fuel
2284 car
;0)

If you did that in an f-body, please tell me how you did it.

aaronSK wrote:
Crossfire hood is not a whole ton lighter than the steel hood. I'm thinking an aftermarket flat glass hood is probably what I will go with on mine. Hard to find


I can't seem to find a light one either. When I gutted my old flat steel hood I quickly realized that the weight is in the skin. It was like trying to fillet a salmon on a sheet of plastic and a huge pain if you had a slight breeze.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
91RSVert
Member


Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 2736
Location: AR

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my old s10 hood, made a mold of the skin with the carbon fiber I bought. Cut the skin off, layered the back of the cf with 1 layer of fiberglass cloth, then attached it to the hood bracing. Talk about light, but fugly!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heheh yeah..... my F-body was 3950 with me and a full tank.
_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
2580 me and a full tank of fuel (16gal)
2380 car with fuel
2284 car


Quiet, you!!

Laughing

If you're worried about hood weight start looking at a flat pin-on and do the dzus thing like the cool kids.

While the hinge and latch assembly itself does not weigh a lot, the reinforcement needed in a glass unit to make it usable as a hinged hood adds the weight.

I guess where I'm going with these weight reduction ramblings is that you need to decide how streetable you want your car. I am planning to actually drive this thing around so I want to keep the functionality of the hood and hatch, I want to keep the door bars and crash bumpers, it will have a radio, ect. I know that this caveat will keep me above a ton and a half but I'm okay with that in this car.

If you are serious about killing the weight and you really want to go nuts on your rig start looking at things like a fixed lexan hatch, pin-on hood, gutted doors with fixed lexan, removing the cargo well behind the tank.

I will also say that I never suspected the guy with the big block would be joining in with me in this weight reduction madness. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group