| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
blue89 Member

Joined: 23 May 2006 Posts: 3482 Location: Bellingham/Eugene
1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:30 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| jchaussee wrote: | | I guy on TGO redid his whole front end. I don't know how much wieght he loss though |
I browsed around and couldnt find anything. Could you post a link? |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
blue89 Member

Joined: 23 May 2006 Posts: 3482 Location: Bellingham/Eugene
1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:21 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Just fuel for the fire. Thanks Aaron! Buried in all those posts, I found some really good stuff. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
blue89 Member

Joined: 23 May 2006 Posts: 3482 Location: Bellingham/Eugene
1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:05 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Does anyone know how much a bare stripped chassis weights? |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:07 pm Post subject: |
|
|
1150lbs
That was without:
Engine
Trans
Axle
Gas tank
Front spindles
Springs
Shocks/Struts
Hood
Hatch glass
These are some horrendously overbuilt pigs. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
blue89 Member

Joined: 23 May 2006 Posts: 3482 Location: Bellingham/Eugene
1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:05 am Post subject: |
|
|
| Did that include hood nose fenders doors and front glass? I assume so but i just want to check. That is pretty heavy. Any idea where most of that weight hides? I'm guessing the inner cabin area. I see lots of layered material in the pillars, roof, and rear passenger area. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
91RSVert Member
Joined: 16 May 2007 Posts: 2736 Location: AR
1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:08 am Post subject: |
|
|
I agree. Tons of layered areas. Quite a bit of it on the rear body panel as well.
I wish someone made aluminum hoods and fenders for our cars rather then fiberglass. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
blue89 Member

Joined: 23 May 2006 Posts: 3482 Location: Bellingham/Eugene
1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:26 am Post subject: |
|
|
| I wish some one made light fiberglass panels. The front fenders dont weight much, its that damn outer hood skin! Ive seen people say the nose is light but i disagree. By the time you add the headlight bar and all the other goodies its quite heavy and at the worst point for weight. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Alphius Peanut

Joined: 05 Sep 2006 Posts: 2429 Location: Grand Mound
1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:18 am Post subject: |
|
|
When I delivered the nose cone with headlight bar and brackets to Dewey it seemed like it was easily 30 lbs, but not too much more. I should have weighed it while I had it. _________________ 84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
blue89 Member

Joined: 23 May 2006 Posts: 3482 Location: Bellingham/Eugene
1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:35 am Post subject: |
|
|
| So i got a quote from a steel place here. For 1.75" 0.120 wall DOM, it is $7.83/ft. Does that seem right? Should i use a different size for a cage type material? The SCCA lists 1.5" 0.120" for vehicles over x weight. This of course isnt inside the cabin but to avoid problems i want to copy that format. This will not be nhra approved, just scca. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
RSFreak The other "John"

Joined: 23 Jan 2004 Posts: 2946 Location: Renton
1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:59 pm Post subject: |
|
|
If you ever laid that bike down, you'd be dead! Or missing a leg at the very least!  _________________ '86 Trans Am - 5.0L TPI - LT1 cam - 700R4 - WS6
'85 Camaro Berlinetta - IROC clone
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
blue89 Member

Joined: 23 May 2006 Posts: 3482 Location: Bellingham/Eugene
1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:47 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Motorcycles? Not for me. This is to brace my car.
And scca says 1.75 0.095 can be used instead of 1.5 .120". I will see what a quote for that is. Should be a little lighter. All DOM, of course. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:32 pm Post subject: |
|
|
My scale weight included:
Fenders
Crash bar
Nose cover
All glass except hatch
No hood
I desperatly need to get a scale in my shop. I go through so many cars and parts and I would love to start recording this stuff. Anyone got an old bathroom scale they're tired of?
The entire center of the chassis is all folded sheet; origami BS.
There is a lot of weight in that, and not a lot you can do about it. I have read that there is as much weight in a t-top bar as their is in a hardtop roof skin, and having cut out the t-top bar I believe it.
Front fenders are light as f***, and the knockoff fenders from a wrecked car are even lighter if you don't care about how crappy they look full of dents and waves.
Crossfire hood is not a whole ton lighter than the steel hood. I'm thinking an aftermarket flat glass hood is probably what I will go with on mine. Hard to find; everyone wants cowls because of their small d***s.
Headlight bar doesn't weigh a lot, it is glass. The skin is not too heavy either.
The crash bar is pretty hefty. 40-50lbs. maybe? Look for an aluminum one or build one.
To be honest with you the biggest single weight removal I got was the carpet and front two cylinders of the engine.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Schultzy89GTA M.R.A. (11sec Club)

Joined: 08 Jan 2004 Posts: 4417 Location: Gresham, OR
1989 Pontiac GTA
|
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:54 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| aaron_sK wrote: | ...everyone wants cowls because of their small d***s. |
Hey now! LOL
-Schultzy |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
jchaussee Member
Joined: 14 Nov 2010 Posts: 1318 Location: renton
|
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:44 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| I must be packin a pea shooter, cause I just bought a cowl hood |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:42 pm Post subject: |
|
|
2580 me and a full tank of fuel (16gal)
2380 car with fuel
2284 car
;0) _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
blue89 Member

Joined: 23 May 2006 Posts: 3482 Location: Bellingham/Eugene
1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:59 am Post subject: |
|
|
| Twilightoptics wrote: | 2580 me and a full tank of fuel (16gal)
2380 car with fuel
2284 car
;0) |
If you did that in an f-body, please tell me how you did it.
| aaronSK wrote: | | Crossfire hood is not a whole ton lighter than the steel hood. I'm thinking an aftermarket flat glass hood is probably what I will go with on mine. Hard to find |
I can't seem to find a light one either. When I gutted my old flat steel hood I quickly realized that the weight is in the skin. It was like trying to fillet a salmon on a sheet of plastic and a huge pain if you had a slight breeze. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
91RSVert Member
Joined: 16 May 2007 Posts: 2736 Location: AR
1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:25 am Post subject: |
|
|
| I took my old s10 hood, made a mold of the skin with the carbon fiber I bought. Cut the skin off, layered the back of the cf with 1 layer of fiberglass cloth, then attached it to the hood bracing. Talk about light, but fugly!! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:31 am Post subject: |
|
|
Heheh yeah..... my F-body was 3950 with me and a full tank. _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:37 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Twilightoptics wrote: | 2580 me and a full tank of fuel (16gal)
2380 car with fuel
2284 car |
Quiet, you!!
If you're worried about hood weight start looking at a flat pin-on and do the dzus thing like the cool kids.
While the hinge and latch assembly itself does not weigh a lot, the reinforcement needed in a glass unit to make it usable as a hinged hood adds the weight.
I guess where I'm going with these weight reduction ramblings is that you need to decide how streetable you want your car. I am planning to actually drive this thing around so I want to keep the functionality of the hood and hatch, I want to keep the door bars and crash bumpers, it will have a radio, ect. I know that this caveat will keep me above a ton and a half but I'm okay with that in this car.
If you are serious about killing the weight and you really want to go nuts on your rig start looking at things like a fixed lexan hatch, pin-on hood, gutted doors with fixed lexan, removing the cargo well behind the tank.
I will also say that I never suspected the guy with the big block would be joining in with me in this weight reduction madness.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|