| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
iansane Member

Joined: 16 Jan 2004 Posts: 5742 Location: Bothell
1991 Pontiac Trans Am
|
Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:54 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| IROCDave wrote: | | Iansane: dude, seriously you friggin procrastinator, GET YOUR EBRAKE FIXED BEFORE YOU KILL SOME POOR LITTLE OLD LADY!!!! |
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
IROCDave Member
Joined: 16 Jan 2010 Posts: 957 Location: Snohomish WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:30 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| QwkTrip wrote: | Hey, thanks for the help. I've heard a lot of good things about your GTO. Dave just can't stop talking about it.
I have to decide what intake I'm going to use. I have a FAST 102 that I bought a couple months ago just because it was too good a deal to pass up. Tonight I bought a complete LS3 intake with fuel rails and injectors. I can use the fuel rails and injectors on either intake. I need to look into what it takes to install the FAST and how much the final cost will come out to. The LS3 would probably be good enough, but if it's pretty much the same cost for either throttle body I'll probably just use the FAST. |
Sticks n Stones here: thanks for the compliments, didn't know Dave was talking up my car.
on the intake side: the LS3 or LS3 based fast is the only intakes that will work on LS3/l92 heads. LS1 and LS2 intakes don't fit (LS3 is rectangular port while LS1/2/6 is cathedral port).
I can't count the number of threads I've read where guys compared the various FAST LS3 intakes to ported LS3/L76 intakes and the results were marginal to say the least - talking ported LS3 intakes made more power in a couple dyno shootouts, and the others it was only 2-3rwhp difference with the LS3 based intakes making (always) more low and midrange torque. FAST took 3 years to finally make a intake that could compete against a stock LS3 intake: and even with all that studying and engineering, once ported, the stock LS3 still flows better then a stock FAST LS3 intake. It's amazing how good a job that GM did with that low clearance stock LS3 intake.
FAST finally made a legitimate badass intake that beats the LS3 intake on all fronts, but it is there LSXR truck intake and will not fit under even a GTO's higher hood. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:58 am Post subject: |
|
|
Mine is the LSXR 102. I'm guessing the better one you talk about is the LSXRT 102? How much extra power do those make?
I looked up throttle bodies last night and it costs the same whether FAST or LS3. I could sell the FAST intake for $550 more than the LS3 so it comes down to a decision whether the FAST LSXR is worth $550 to me.
I'm looking at the Nick Williams cable throttle bodies. Seems to be the best value out there for a high quality product. What do you think? I know about the GodSpeed throttle bodies, but it just screams of made in China crap. Even if it's not crap I am not selling out our country over $100. Buy American and support our future. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
rjmcgee The Hammer

Joined: 08 Jan 2004 Posts: 2328
|
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:17 am Post subject: |
|
|
| QwkTrip wrote: | | Even if it's not crap I am not selling out our country over $100. Buy American and support our future. |
I wish a few more would figure this out too.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:46 am Post subject: |
|
|
I don't have much confidence Americans will ever figure that out until it is too late. We're too consumed with personal pleasure and governance of personal rights to suit ourselves.
Wealth is created by taking raw material and turning it into goods that are sold. Each time we buy something from China we transfer our wealth to them. Every millionaire and billionaire in Asia owes it all to each one of us individually. What will we do when our currency is no longer valued? What will we do when our wallets run dry? What will we do when (not if) we have to fight a hard war and can't supply our military machine?
Sad thing is, I don't know what we will do by then.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
IROCDave Member
Joined: 16 Jan 2010 Posts: 957 Location: Snohomish WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:10 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| QwkTrip wrote: | Mine is the LSXR 102. I'm guessing the better one you talk about is the LSXRT 102? How much extra power do those make?
I looked up throttle bodies last night and it costs the same whether FAST or LS3. I could sell the FAST intake for $550 more than the LS3 so it comes down to a decision whether the FAST LSXR is worth $550 to me.
I'm looking at the Nick Williams cable throttle bodies. Seems to be the best value out there for a high quality product. What do you think? I know about the GodSpeed throttle bodies, but it just screams of made in China crap. Even if it's not crap I am not selling out our country over $100. Buy American and support our future. |
Sticks here again: Nick Williams is very popular, I'd go with that myself. And oddly enough, the intake I was referring to (rectangular port truck) isn't listed on there site yet. They came out with it a couple months ago and it seemed like there was 10+ comparisons on ls1gto over it in the first 3 weeks.
The regular FAST 102 rectangular port intake is a waste of money unless you are going with port nitrous injection. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Engine arrived the other day and when I unwrapped it at home I could see the shipping company dumped and rolled it. Just my luck.
Made an claim on insurance. We'll see how this goes. I'm anticipating I will not be treated fairly. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Whiskeychick Member

Joined: 19 Sep 2010 Posts: 225 Location: Penticton BC
1987 Pontiac GTA
|
Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:48 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Ouch. Hope they dont to the "you should check it before you accept it" BS _________________ 1987 - Trans am GTA, hooker headers, Borla catback, Cat delete, CAI, 9.6 @ 75mph 1/8mile
1978 - Trans am 6.6/TA, Gold bird. Workin on it
2008 - Mini Cooper Clubman S, Hot Chocolate on Hot Chocolate Lounge Leather  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:52 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Things are looking up! I'm getting all my money back. Not from insurance though.... from the engine builder.
427 LSx part deuce coming in a few weeks. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:29 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Insurance paid out and I'm going to pick up my new 427 engine tomorrow. No shipping companies! (they even denied my claim those a$$holes) I'm meeting the engine builder part way between Kansas and Illinois.
It's got a brand new block and brand new heads. This time I went a little further and bought a set of Texas Speed LS3 ported heads. I figured if I'm going to do it then do it right.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Dewey316 The Lama

Joined: 08 Jan 2004 Posts: 7295 Location: Bringing the tech
1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:29 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Jealous. Can't wait to see the red bird finally on the road! I've been watching your build for something like 12 years now, and haven't actually seen the car move yet.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
QwkTrip 11sec Club

Joined: 17 Feb 2004 Posts: 3942 Location: Peoria, IL
1989 Pontiac Firebird
|
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:09 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Finally! I have an engine home safe and sound! I couldn't resist mocking up the FAST 102 and Stainless Works headers.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|