Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The plot thickens
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IROCDave wrote:
Iansane: dude, seriously you friggin procrastinator, GET YOUR EBRAKE FIXED BEFORE YOU KILL SOME POOR LITTLE OLD LADY!!!!


Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
IROCDave
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 957
Location: Snohomish WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
Hey, thanks for the help. I've heard a lot of good things about your GTO. Dave just can't stop talking about it. Laughing

I have to decide what intake I'm going to use. I have a FAST 102 that I bought a couple months ago just because it was too good a deal to pass up. Tonight I bought a complete LS3 intake with fuel rails and injectors. I can use the fuel rails and injectors on either intake. I need to look into what it takes to install the FAST and how much the final cost will come out to. The LS3 would probably be good enough, but if it's pretty much the same cost for either throttle body I'll probably just use the FAST.


Sticks n Stones here: thanks for the compliments, didn't know Dave was talking up my car. Laughing

on the intake side: the LS3 or LS3 based fast is the only intakes that will work on LS3/l92 heads. LS1 and LS2 intakes don't fit (LS3 is rectangular port while LS1/2/6 is cathedral port).

I can't count the number of threads I've read where guys compared the various FAST LS3 intakes to ported LS3/L76 intakes and the results were marginal to say the least - talking ported LS3 intakes made more power in a couple dyno shootouts, and the others it was only 2-3rwhp difference with the LS3 based intakes making (always) more low and midrange torque. FAST took 3 years to finally make a intake that could compete against a stock LS3 intake: and even with all that studying and engineering, once ported, the stock LS3 still flows better then a stock FAST LS3 intake. It's amazing how good a job that GM did with that low clearance stock LS3 intake.

FAST finally made a legitimate badass intake that beats the LS3 intake on all fronts, but it is there LSXR truck intake and will not fit under even a GTO's higher hood.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is the LSXR 102. I'm guessing the better one you talk about is the LSXRT 102? How much extra power do those make?

I looked up throttle bodies last night and it costs the same whether FAST or LS3. I could sell the FAST intake for $550 more than the LS3 so it comes down to a decision whether the FAST LSXR is worth $550 to me.

I'm looking at the Nick Williams cable throttle bodies. Seems to be the best value out there for a high quality product. What do you think? I know about the GodSpeed throttle bodies, but it just screams of made in China crap. Even if it's not crap I am not selling out our country over $100. Buy American and support our future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rjmcgee
The Hammer


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 2328



PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
Even if it's not crap I am not selling out our country over $100. Buy American and support our future.


USA

I wish a few more would figure this out too. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much confidence Americans will ever figure that out until it is too late. We're too consumed with personal pleasure and governance of personal rights to suit ourselves.

Wealth is created by taking raw material and turning it into goods that are sold. Each time we buy something from China we transfer our wealth to them. Every millionaire and billionaire in Asia owes it all to each one of us individually. What will we do when our currency is no longer valued? What will we do when our wallets run dry? What will we do when (not if) we have to fight a hard war and can't supply our military machine?

Sad thing is, I don't know what we will do by then. Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IROCDave
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 957
Location: Snohomish WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
Mine is the LSXR 102. I'm guessing the better one you talk about is the LSXRT 102? How much extra power do those make?

I looked up throttle bodies last night and it costs the same whether FAST or LS3. I could sell the FAST intake for $550 more than the LS3 so it comes down to a decision whether the FAST LSXR is worth $550 to me.

I'm looking at the Nick Williams cable throttle bodies. Seems to be the best value out there for a high quality product. What do you think? I know about the GodSpeed throttle bodies, but it just screams of made in China crap. Even if it's not crap I am not selling out our country over $100. Buy American and support our future.


Sticks here again: Nick Williams is very popular, I'd go with that myself. And oddly enough, the intake I was referring to (rectangular port truck) isn't listed on there site yet. They came out with it a couple months ago and it seemed like there was 10+ comparisons on ls1gto over it in the first 3 weeks.

The regular FAST 102 rectangular port intake is a waste of money unless you are going with port nitrous injection.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one? That is pretty tall.

http://www.fuelairspark.com/1/FS/Intake/Default.aspx
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine arrived the other day and when I unwrapped it at home I could see the shipping company dumped and rolled it. Just my luck.

Made an claim on insurance. We'll see how this goes. I'm anticipating I will not be treated fairly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whiskeychick
Member


Joined: 19 Sep 2010
Posts: 225
Location: Penticton BC

1987 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch. Hope they dont to the "you should check it before you accept it" BS
_________________
1987 - Trans am GTA, hooker headers, Borla catback, Cat delete, CAI, 9.6 @ 75mph 1/8mile
1978 - Trans am 6.6/TA, Gold bird. Workin on it
2008 - Mini Cooper Clubman S, Hot Chocolate on Hot Chocolate Lounge Leather Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are looking up! I'm getting all my money back. Not from insurance though.... from the engine builder.

427 LSx part deuce coming in a few weeks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance paid out and I'm going to pick up my new 427 engine tomorrow. No shipping companies! (they even denied my claim those a$$holes) I'm meeting the engine builder part way between Kansas and Illinois.

It's got a brand new block and brand new heads. This time I went a little further and bought a set of Texas Speed LS3 ported heads. I figured if I'm going to do it then do it right. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dewey316
The Lama


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 7295
Location: Bringing the tech

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jealous. Can't wait to see the red bird finally on the road! I've been watching your build for something like 12 years now, and haven't actually seen the car move yet. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally! I have an engine home safe and sound! I couldn't resist mocking up the FAST 102 and Stainless Works headers. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group