Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2001 Z06 engine for sale...
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
rjmcgee
The Hammer


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 2328



PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
If you say, "handling" then you should think strongly about a 4th gen. By starting with a 4th gen you'll have less money into the car overall and it will handle better then anything you can do to that 3rd gen.



I strongly disagree. Question
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod, you and I aren't the next in line to be national champions so I'm not sure it matters what we drive. Very Happy

One thing about living in the midwest is I meet a lot of car guys at my work place. I know an autocross national champion, three driving instructors, and several others that race competitively. It just blows their mind that I'm keeping the 3rd gen and selling the 4th gen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xophertony wrote:
another thing to consider is how pig ugly 4th gens are. Laughing


It's easier to make a thirdgen fast than it is to make a fourthgen look good. Very Happy

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
One thing about living in the midwest is I meet a lot of car guys at my work place. I know an autocross national champion, three driving instructors, and several others that race competitively. It just blows their mind that I'm keeping the 3rd gen and selling the 4th gen.


That kind of comment surprises me. When it comes down to actually effort, it doesn't take any more work to make a thirdgen handle well vs a fourthgen (relatively speaking). Their handling flaws are just different. And you already have a great chassis to start with it seems logical to use it. About the only pros fourthgens have over thirdgens is the obviously better motor factory and the greater chance of the car not being clapped out since they're all newer. And I'm not just saying this because I love thirdgens more than fourthgens, I can appreciate a great handling car no matter what it is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
d00012
Member


Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 679
Location: Granite Falls

2007 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xophertony wrote:
another thing to consider is how pig ugly 4th gens are. Laughing


I love my 4th gen Crying or Very sad


QwkTrip wrote:
Then you and I are traveling the same road, my friend! We can share stories when it is all done.


That we will have to do.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"


Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 3873
Location: stumptown

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I love my 4th gen


until my clutch hydro's went out, I loved the reliability of my 4th gen, actually, I still do. :)

I still dig my 3rd gen though. There are a few things that need to get sorted out (like bigger brakes, an electric choke, and how to keep the alt/wp/crank belt from tossing out over hard throttle blasts).

And the interior is WAAAY nicer than my 4th gen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put 4th gen seats and console in my car to fix that problem. Wink

Frankly, I like the dash in my Firebird. I really dig the gauge pods.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen


Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 5306
Location: Portland, Oregon.

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that. love the birdie dash.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
RSFreak
The other "John"


Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Posts: 2946
Location: Renton

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xophertony wrote:
Amen to that. love the birdie dash.


Probably my favorite thing about my 'Bird! Cool

_________________
'86 Trans Am - 5.0L TPI - LT1 cam - 700R4 - WS6
'85 Camaro Berlinetta - IROC clone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group