Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So this is what 900 Horsepower looks like?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
I do right now.


Haha... I can see where this is going. Laughing

At least you LSx/LQx guys can flip them. Some engineers apparently didn't think that was too important.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you were going SBC you could clip them as well. Buuut.... Very Happy
_________________

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
iansane wrote:
I do right now.


Haha... I can see where this is going. Laughing

At least you LSx/LQx guys can flip them. Some engineers apparently didn't think that was too important.


What engineer, when designing an affordable, reliable family car engine, thinks about someone flipping the manifolds to run turbos? That's crazy talk! Very Happy

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flipped a header to the other side of the engine. The turbo hit the block. So I spun the turbo around 180 degrees on the mounting pad. I think it's too low to go around the fender wells.

Looking at my Camaro I wouldn't be able to have air conditioning and I'd have to lose the stock water pump. Not sure if an electric water pump would clear either.


Last edited by QwkTrip on Thu May 19, 2011 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dewey316
The Lama


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 7295
Location: Bringing the tech

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about switching headers, so it high mounts the turbo? Where they are sitting, It would likely be TIGHT with the fender, it might not drain very well unless you built a sump, but the downpipe would be easy!

What accessories are you going to be running?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it up high first. It was far above the intake manifold. There is no way it would clear the hood.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dewey316
The Lama


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 7295
Location: Bringing the tech

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
I tried it up high first. It was far above the intake manifold. There is no way it would clear the hood.


You might be suprised, the LSx sits really low compared to a small block. It should be easy to measure the height form the oil-pan to the top of the turbo, then measure from the k-member on the car.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some info from the build invoice. Heads are ported and polished 317. I assumed 71 cc head chamber not knowing what else to use. I'm coming up with 9.2 compression ratio. Anybody think I made a mistake?

Eagle 4340 LS1 3.900 Crankshaft
Scat 4340 LS1 H-Beam 6.100 (0 offset)
Wiseco CA-21181-9827 LS1 27cc Pistons 4.020 Bore for .047,.047,3mm GF Rings 1.185 Comp. Height
Wiseco GF .047 Piston Rings
Misc. Parts 6.0 turbo heads ported by Greg Good
GM 6.0 MLS Head Gaskets #12589227
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I got a bit of an education by a guy on LS1tech.com

8.4:1 compression ratio with the following assumptions.

4.020 bore
3.9 stroke
6.100 rod
1.185 compression height
-27cc piston dish
71cc comb. chaimber
.048 gasket thickness (im pretty sure thats how thick they are)
head gasket bore 4.100
9.240 deck height

This motor is waaaaaay too low compression to ever think about running naturally aspirated. I either keep it a boost motor or sell it. I'm thinking about selling if I can trade the short block to somebody with a nice 408/427 short block.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the heck.... that just can't be right. 27 cc dish???? I found the same piston p/n sold by TSP and they call it a 8 cc dish.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it in the bird. What is the hold up?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
Wiseco CA-21181-9827


Doesn't come up in the Wiseco catalog... Confused

http://www.wiseco.com/Catalogs/Automotive/CompleteCatalog.pdf

You want pages 7 through 10 specifically. They list dish sizes up to -32cc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dewey316
The Lama


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 7295
Location: Bringing the tech

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
What the heck.... that just can't be right. 27 cc dish???? I found the same piston p/n sold by TSP and they call it a 8 cc dish.


google showed the only reference on the interweb to the wiesco part number you listed is a post by you. Wink That post said your invoice had K394F3 as the part number. That shows in Wiseco's catelog as a -8cc dish.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. Google is fast, isn't it? Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the original owner at LS1tech.com. I've been able to piece together a story now from my paperwork and his postings at the forum.

Engine was built Jan 2005. The owner was sent to Japan Jan 2006 and sold the car immediately after returning to the States in Sept 2009. The car was in military storage those years and run occasionally. In the year it was driven he put 5000 miles on the engine, mostly with a Vortech supercharger. He put the turbo kit on late 2005. He was able to drive it for a few weeks before going overseas but never got it sorted out.

The turbo system is a CAS kit that has been highly modified. Now I know what I've got. That helps.

The 12 bolt must be pretty spankin' new because he had a stock rear as far as I can tell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group