Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I know Im post Whoring, but I missed ya'll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
STEEL

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xophertony wrote:
uhh... does it allready have roller tipped rockers? "retro" in this case refers to retro-fit. as in to install newer technology where it once was not. if you want to put rollers on a non roller block you will need retro rollers. gm did not install roller tipped rockers until 1987. thus all 1987+ SBCs are "roller blocks", and everything pre 1987 is a "non-roller" block.

I was referring to a retro kit for the roller lifters, but now it looks like i mis-read something somewhere on TGO about doing this...

*re-searches*
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly....I can think of no reason to try to retrofit rollers into a flat tappet block.

If you want a roller cam, find an 87+ block and start with that. Much cheaper in the long run.

Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quasi-Traction wrote:
honestly....I can think of no reason to try to retrofit rollers into a flat tappet block.

If you want a roller cam, find an 87+ block and start with that. Much cheaper in the long run.

Unless your block is a 4 bolt and you can't readily find a roller block and it's counterpart flywheel.

I say go solid lifter flat tappet. It's the best of both worlds... except for that hole crappy oil out there problem.
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xophertony wrote:
uhh... does it allready have roller tipped rockers? "retro" in this case refers to retro-fit. as in to install newer technology where it once was not. if you want to put rollers on a non roller block you will need retro rollers. gm did not install roller tipped rockers until 1987. thus all 1987+ SBCs are "roller blocks", and everything pre 1987 is a "non-roller" block.

Umm, you got your rockers and your lifters backwards Tony. Smack!
STEEL

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcgee wrote:
Xophertony wrote:

Umm, you got your rockers and your lifters backwards Tony. Smack!
Ok, my home keyboard died, so I am on from school.

I had miss-read a post on TGO and thought that my block was old enough I DIDNT need to use a retro kit, however, I was mistaken. I also read about using V6 lifters, and that seems like a solid idea, but I KNOW I do not have the experience to attempt such a thing.

Hydraulic flat tappet it is! (I dont really know the difference between the hydraulic and the solid, but I know that a hydraulic is cheaper) So, I am planning on running some Nitrous injection, and it seems summit has some great Nitrous cams for only $50, I am just worried about possibly going too extreme and not being able to drive it to work, I still need it to be decently streetable.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM%2D1105&autoview=sku

Or the more extreme

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM%2D1107&autoview=sku

Are these good for what I am thinking? Am I on the correct track?
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FT Mechanical (solid) lifter cams are typically cheaper than the Hydro's IIRC. Although there are quite a bit more FT Hydraulic cam grinds out there for just about anything.

Isky and Comp make some good cuts for solid cams. Isky's are a little more for the full out racing motor.

Last edited by Quasi-Traction on Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
STEEL

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but roller cams on this engine are WAY expensive....
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam selection should depend a lot on what kind of Dynamic compression Ratio your running, Octane of Fuel, Quench distance, headflow, etc....

If you're using any kind of stock SBC head that isn't getting major valve and port work, I'd go with the first cam.

Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the lifters have the roller on them?
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xophertony wrote:
so the lifters have the roller on them?

Yes.

Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh. i have heard peaple say "roller rockers" so much i always assumed the roller was on the rocker. why don't people say roller-lifters?
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xophertony wrote:
huh. i have heard peaple say "roller rockers" so much i always assumed the roller was on the rocker. why don't people say roller-lifters?

There are both. Roller rockers, are rockers with a bearing fulcrum, and rollers on the tips. Roller Tipped Rockers, are stock style bolt in rokers, with a roller tip where it hits the valve stem. Roller Lifters, are what go with "roller cams", they are lifters with a roller where the lifter meets the cam.

--John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for dropping the tech john. Smile
Sellmanb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you do your homework on cams before you buy one, Steel. You can get an old-style cam w/ almost no R&D involved in it's production for next to nothing. The more expensive cams will be a lot more streetable, and you'll be able to get more power out of them than the cheap-o cams. I'd look into either Lunati Voodoo series, or Comp cams. Lunati is who makes most of GM's camshafts, and so I guess that speaks for their reliability (just look at the LS7 for instance, 505hp and almost 30mpg hwy)
STEEL

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have decided to go with this cam: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM%2D1105&autoview=sku

Looked it up on TGO, and people say its good stuff, and it fits the bill. What I keep hearing over and over is HEADS HEADS HEADS.
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STEEL wrote:
Well, I have decided to go with this cam: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM%2D1105&autoview=sku

Looked it up on TGO, and people say its good stuff, and it fits the bill. What I keep hearing over and over is HEADS HEADS HEADS.

Personally I would save the money that your spending on the stroker kit and reuse your 350 crank and rods. Then get a set of good heads and a cam that doesn't suck. Something like a Comp XE or the Voodoo cams that aren't a copy of a 40 year old grind. You'll make more power with a good heads and cam 350 then you will with a smog headed/ generic cammed 383.

Just my 2 cents
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xophertony wrote:
... thus all 1987+ SBCs are "roller blocks", and everything pre 1987 is a "non-roller" block.

Sorry dude. Not true. GM continued to make flat tappet SBC engines well past the 80's.

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually got a 93 pickup motor that is non roller. It has the blanks for the spider bolts, but does not have the top of the lifter bores machined flat for the dogbones.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owned!

Flat tappet cames go for about the same price either hydro or solid.
STEEL

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcgee wrote:
STEEL wrote:

Personally I would save the money that your spending on the stroker kit and reuse your 350 crank and rods. Then get a set of good heads and a cam that doesn't suck. Something like a Comp XE or the Voodoo cams that aren't a copy of a 40 year old grind. You'll make more power with a good heads and cam 350 then you will with a smog headed/ generic cammed 383.

Just my 2 cents

I would do this, but if you had seen the rotating assembly that came out, you would understand, the crank MIGHT have been ok, but the rest of it was BAD. My theory is that If I have to buy connecting rods, pistons, and lifters, clean the block, and everything else ANYWAY, might as well go big.

I might have been better getting a running 350, but even still, this is FUN. I dont want to do something easy, I wouldnt learn as much!

As far as HEADS. Have any of you used "World Products Sportsman II Heads"? Will these allow for some good breathing on my 383 with some nitrous injection?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: