Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Piss poor planning is going around lately.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The T5 was apparently swapped in sometime in 2001 according to the previous owner who had owned it since 1998.

Then it was rebuilt by an AAMCO employee after hours as a favor in 2004 and broke within a couple hundred miles.

2.77 is a little low for a T5, I agree. Very Happy

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the rear deck on the motor to see if it's actually a 5.7L.



My old car had the 5.7 badges and RPO code for it and sticker under the hood..... but it was a 305.


Just sayin'.

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
fiveoformula
Member


Joined: 08 Aug 2007
Posts: 1799
Location: OR

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was selling auto parts there was a customer who told me he had an IROC with a tuned port 350, he said the dealer told him it was a 305 but he said he knew it was a 350 because it took a 350 dizzy cap. Rolling Eyes
_________________


'88 FORMULA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
Check the rear deck on the motor to see if it's actually a 5.7L.

My old car had the 5.7 badges and RPO code for it and sticker under the hood..... but it was a 305.

Just sayin'.


I tried to check. Can't see diddly back there due to like 5 wiring harnesses and the VIN stamp is under the A/C bracket so I can't match that either.

If I get bored one day I will try harder to see the rear deck stamp. Its unlikely that it would be a 305, but you are right; you never know.

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good flashlight and mirror is your friend :O)
_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I saw a bit of rust behind the driver's door rub strip so I pulled it off gently and a bunch of paint came off revealing even more surface rust. Sad I might start looking for a new door. It had a bit of crash damage (really just a bump) anyway which is what started the rust. The rest of the car is solid, even if the clearcoat is a little worn.

This thing might get a Maaco special and new IROC decals after it's on the road to make it look nicer.

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I've slept on it, I think a new door is the way to go. That's part of how I talked the guy down, you could see rust bubbling under the red paint on the door right at the rub strip under the door handle. I was a little discouraged by how much was actually there, but I knew it needed to be done anyway.

On this specific picture you can see how the rear end of the rub strip on the door is kind of pulling away and you can also see the rust starting to form right above it. You can also see the only two noticeable dents on the car, one on the front fender lip and one right in front of the gas door.


Regardless of cosmetic issues, step 1 is to get it on the road (with all gears!). I will be working on that through this weekend.

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a DA? If it's doomed to be repainted and can't be touched up then I would buzz down any areas to see how bad they are before you do any work. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for max value it is doomed to be repainted. It literally has no clearcoat on the hood, fender tops, roof or rear deck. That's a hard sell at the price I'm thinking I would like to get eventually. Wink

I don't have a DA. I can borrow one from my dad when it gets to that point though.

I was gonna block with 80 grit on some areas before I decide if it's worth painting.
I will look closer tonight but as far as I have seen it's the factory original paint everywhere else on the car so there shouldn't be any repaired damage.

Not gonna lie, I got pretty pissed when I peeled the strip back and a bunch of paint came with it. Laughing

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
jchaussee
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 1318
Location: renton


PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least they should be easy dents to fix.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jchaussee wrote:
At least they should be easy dents to fix.


True, I could do this kind of bodywork with one hand tied behind my back but the rust is aggravating. I was hoping to get away with not painting it and just leaving the clearcoat issues alone since it doesn't look that bad with dull paint. Now the only way I am gonna get away with not painting it is if I can find another straight, good bright red door somewhere (and maybe a front fender to replace the dented one).

If and when I end up at the paint point I will probably do most of the prep myself then take it to Maaco for a quickie. I don't want to get upside down on this car at all since resale and profit are forefront in my mind. An '89 IROC with a nice cheap Maaco job and a new decal kit combined with a well-running 350TPI and 5-speed should still be worth a decent amount when it's all said and done.

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
jchaussee
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 1318
Location: renton


PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should hopefully push her into the 5 grand range. I used to have a guy who would respray for 200 bucks , but have since lost contact
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I used a mirror and a bright flashlight and it is a 5.7 still. Very Happy No 305 nonsense in this engine bay!
_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
RSFreak
The other "John"


Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Posts: 2946
Location: Renton

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphius wrote:
Paul, I used a mirror and a bright flashlight and it is a 5.7 still. Very Happy No 305 nonsense in this engine bay!


But 2.72s! Razz

_________________
'86 Trans Am - 5.0L TPI - LT1 cam - 700R4 - WS6
'85 Camaro Berlinetta - IROC clone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSFreak wrote:
But 2.72s! Razz


Well, to be fair, 2.77s.

Perfect for a low-end torque highway cruiser! Very Happy

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellente!
_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1850 RPM at 70MPH with the .73 fifth trans that is in there now.
If I can't fix the trans, I'll throw in my spare one with the .63 fifth and only be spinning 1600 RPM at 70. It's like a poor man's T56! Laughing

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TPI curve + 700R4 ratios (3.07 first, 0.70 fourth) mean the 2.77's make perfect sense for a normal car.

Good to hear it is a genuine L98. Thumbs up
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
TPI curve + 700R4 ratios (3.07 first, 0.70 fourth) mean the 2.77's make perfect sense for a normal car.


This is very true.

I'm hoping it will be livable with the 2.95 T5 first gear. Starting out in second is a horrible experience but I am assured that when first works it is perfectly livable.

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
RSFreak
The other "John"


Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Posts: 2946
Location: Renton

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
TPI curve + 700R4 ratios (3.07 first, 0.70 fourth) mean the 2.77's make perfect sense for a normal car.

Good to hear it is a genuine L98. Thumbs up


"Normal"? Laughing Why pay the premium for the L98 if you want an automatic and low rear end ratio? I would have ordered the LB9 with T5 and 3.23s. Seems like it would be much more fun. Wink

_________________
'86 Trans Am - 5.0L TPI - LT1 cam - 700R4 - WS6
'85 Camaro Berlinetta - IROC clone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group