| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
Xophertony Rodeo Queen

Joined: 13 Oct 2005 Posts: 5306 Location: Portland, Oregon.
1988 Pontiac GTA
|
Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:20 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| thats how mine were sitting. Out of square. I found thinner washers and was able to get them alot closer. I will have to see how this set of pads wears. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Xophertony Rodeo Queen

Joined: 13 Oct 2005 Posts: 5306 Location: Portland, Oregon.
1988 Pontiac GTA
|
Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:30 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Got the brakes in and bled. they stop NICE. i have not done any hard stopes yet, nor have i adjusted the proportioning valve. Should be real nice once i get it dialed in.
On Saturday i did the left side, took me 6 hours with 3 tripes to the parts store. Did the second side this morning, took 1.5 hours with no trips to the parts store.
I am using some used pads that came with the calipers, i would like to throw some new pads on soon, but i think i would like to shake everything down first and make sure it's all OK. I also realized after I assembled everything that i forgot the grease seals on the back of the hubs. Will this be a problem? _________________ 86' firebird (Junked in 2015). 88' GTA (sold in 2020).
| aaron_sK wrote: | | Hell, Tony drove his GTA to Cows a few years back with the pickup coil that came out in pieces. |
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:29 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Big problem.
Those seals do two things.
A: Keep dust/grime out
B: Keep the grease in
When you're at freeway speeds long enough the grease gets much less viscous and will easily flow out without seals.
Put them back before you drive the car again and toast your wheel bearings. Trust me, it doesn't take long. My trailer killed a seal and in 20miles the entire spindle was shot. _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Xophertony Rodeo Queen

Joined: 13 Oct 2005 Posts: 5306 Location: Portland, Oregon.
1988 Pontiac GTA
|
Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:20 am Post subject: |
|
|
Noted.
Also, is white lithium the appropriate grease to have used in assembly? |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:32 am Post subject: |
|
|
No. You need good chassis grease packed in the bearings. White lithium is way too thin. _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Xophertony Rodeo Queen

Joined: 13 Oct 2005 Posts: 5306 Location: Portland, Oregon.
1988 Pontiac GTA
|
Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:57 am Post subject: |
|
|
shizzle.. I am buing new bearings and seals because I am scared now. I put about 50 miles on this setup.
off to the parts store.... |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Xophertony Rodeo Queen

Joined: 13 Oct 2005 Posts: 5306 Location: Portland, Oregon.
1988 Pontiac GTA
|
Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:41 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Ok, HJow the hell do you get bearing rings out of the hub? That metal ring they ride on? I have whacked it from the back side with a sledge, i have BROKEN my two jaw slide hammer puller, what do i have to do? do i need a press? what would it even press on?
Please help  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Xophertony Rodeo Queen

Joined: 13 Oct 2005 Posts: 5306 Location: Portland, Oregon.
1988 Pontiac GTA
|
Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:50 pm Post subject: |
|
|
YAY research. Races have to be pressed in with a press. And there is not a machine shop in existence that is open on a Saturday. This leads me to an interesting question, why would a bearing come with a new race if you are not suposed to change the race with the bearing.
I wonder how bad I have screwed up this race. I think i'll try to re-use it and see what happens.
Man, I don't turna wrench for over a year and forget EVERYTHING about how to work on my own car. I must have changed wheel bearings half a dozen times before, i have never tried to take out a race, nor have i ever used the wrong grease. What the hell is wrong with me? |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
iansane Member

Joined: 16 Jan 2004 Posts: 5742 Location: Bothell
1991 Pontiac Trans Am
|
Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:48 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Tony, you don't need a press. Do you have a BFH and a punch/drift? Flip the hub over and go from the other side. There should be just enough of a lip on the old race that you can rest the tip of a punch on it. Whack. Hard. Turn 150* and whack again. Hard. Repeat until race is off. To install, press old race against new race and tap gently in.
 _________________
| Quote: | | Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth. |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
chevymad Master B
Joined: 11 Jan 2004 Posts: 5477
1987 Pontiac Formula
|
Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:00 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Punch and a hammer. Go around and around has to go in and out evenly, or it will cock and jam. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Xophertony Rodeo Queen

Joined: 13 Oct 2005 Posts: 5306 Location: Portland, Oregon.
1988 Pontiac GTA
|
Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:15 pm Post subject: |
|
|
So i Examined the damage to the race.. You guys ever see that movie "Independance Day"? I was reminded of that scene where they nuke one of the alien ships, and when the pilot reports back after the dust settles his CO asks for the status of the target. "Negative command, target remains. Repeat target remains".
All of my attempts, sweat, and effort.. And you can't even tell I tried anything.
So the new bearings are in and everything is awesome. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|