Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Head Swap is happening!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just reading about how many cc's a valve job adds. It will be slightly less for a chevy due to the smaller valves, but a pontiac adds 3cc per 0.0019 of seat removal.

Just interesting trivia at this point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
That's a pretty small relief.

What is your exact bore size? What math are you using to compute compression?

You also have to keep in mind the cam. What cam is in there? Static Compression really means nothing. It's all about the dynamic compression.

Also the bore of your old head gasket?

Going to use the std Felpro Shim? Make sure you coat bothsides with copper coat.

Here are the specs on my old motor.
Cyl: 8
Bore: 4.032
Stroke: 3.48
CC: 66
Head Gasket: .015
Head Gasket Bore: 4.1
Deck Height: .025
Flat Pistons: 8.65

Quench: .04
CU IN: 355.47
Liters: 5.825
Static Compression: 9.75



Running the numbers with 64cc heads, and the steel shim, I'm coming up with 10.1:1 for you and a 0.050 quench. And without properly CCing the heads, you can only assume the advertised chamber. Mine were '64 cc heads, but measured out at 66. If there's ever been a valve job, or any chamber work, it increases CC more than you'd think. For instance if your heads were only 2 cc larger, CR drops .2 points to 9.9

How are you measuring your deck height? It's not as easy as you'd think to get it exact. The way you're supposed to do it, is with a dial indicator with a flat platform for the gauge itself to zero out on the head surface, then slide over the piston, and rotate the motor to the lowest reading.

Mine were Speed Pro Hyper pistons with stock rods they were in the hole 0.25 which is most common. No one deck's a block for pistons that far down the hole. The block might have been surfaced, but the term "decked block" really refers to zero deck height. Otherwise it's just surfacing for a cleaner sealing surface for the head gasket.


Old headgasket was 4.125 bore and .039 thickness.

I am going to run the rubberized coating .015 steel shim, Fel-Pro 1094. Fel-Pro recommends not using copper sealant on them, especially with Al heads. I will be installing them dry. If it leaks, I can always remove and try again.

The relief size I found on several websites is for the part number imprinted on the pistons. They're .020 less compression height than standard. 1.54 vs 1.56, so deck height would be up around .045 or more if the block wasn't "decked" (or whatever word describes a block milled down to an equal deck height on every bore). Speed Pro Hypers like you had are 1.56 comp. height and the cast which I have are 1.54. Every one measures at .035 with a straightedge and feeler gauges, so my machinist must have surfaced it down to that. I don't have the setup to measure for sure, but even if I am +-.002 that's only a .1 difference in CR. I have been very meticulous in measuring but I accept that feeler gauges are not the most accurate device for the task.

Block: 4.030 and +-.004 or so only changes compression minutely. I don't have a setup to measure the bore exactly.
Stroke: 3.48
Heads: adv. at 64cc, but I was going to get a burette and cc each chamber individually. They've never had a valve job so hopefully they are close to advertised.
Head Gasket: .015
Head Gasket Bore: 4.100
Deck Height: .035
Piston CC: 5

SCR of 10.14
DCR of 8.15 with my cam; right in the sweet spot.
Quench: .050


This is largely academic, since no matter if I'm off a bit on the measuring of anything, the only gasket I can run and expect to have a reasonable motor is the .015 shim. Nothing here being changed will affect my gasket choice, and I'm happy guessing large on the clearances and rounding my CR down to 10:1 Wink What I "think" my CR is won't make a bit of difference in how it runs since I can't easily change the major variables.

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so you're coming up with 10.1 now. That seems more reasonable than 10.5


As for that gasket. That's the gasket I used for YEARS and NEVER had a leak. Always used copper coat because the rubber is mostly there to keep the gasket for rusting, it doesn't seal imperfections as well as the composite gaskets. When I was toying with the idea of a set of aluminum brodix heads, I asked some big names like Mike Lewis of Lewis Racing Engines about gaskets, since I had pistons in the hole like you did. He said most DEFINITELY run copper coat on the shim gasket. See, the shim again doesn't have give to accommodate the difference in metal expansion between the iron block and aluminum head, the copper coat bridges that gap. And also, to torque the head down from 35lbs in 5lb increments to the bolt/stud desired torque.

I know you cannot use them on aluminum blocks with steel liners. Even Jegs has copper coat as a recommended accessory.

I had my heads off 3 times, and used the same method described by Mike L. and never had a leak and it's still going strong today.

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you misread my first post about CR. I said it calculated out to 10.15 not 10.5 but I see how you got confused. Wink

If you ran the rubber/steel with copper coat and had no problems I think I will too. It's just that I've had no experience with it and you have, while everything I've read says copper coat on a rubberized shim causes big problems. Reading things isn't the end all be all I know, but that's why I created this thread, so I could get help with the things I don't have any experience with. Theory is great and all, but experience is better. Wink

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh yeah must have misread. Phones are great for that.

Like I always say, engine's don't read books.

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
Like I always say, engine's don't read books.


You're right about that.

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I started putting everything together. I got my head gaskets copper coated then torqued my heads down. I assembled all of my rocker studs and guideplates. Then I went and bought an 8" digital caliper and checked/measured for pushrods. The correct measurement ended up being a stock length of 7.800". I ordered up a set of Trick Flow chromoly pushrods (since I used the trick flow measuring tool) and they should be here next week, so at that point I can resume assembly.
_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 2083
Location: Aloha

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, i bet you are getting excited!
_________________
1983 Z-28 5.7 LT1, T56, Headman headers, BW 9 Bolt Posi Disc, WS6 suspension
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you measure for pushrods with calipers?

You can't possibly turn the motor over to.check the contact patch with calipers

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my checking pushrod and marked the valve and checked the pattern at a few different lengths until I found the best length, then I removed the checking pushrod and measured it with the calipers because that's the recommended procedure? The Trick Flow pushrod checker isn't marked for length, you're supposed to measure it with calipers.
_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You used a pushrod length checker, that's good.

It sounded like you just threw calipers in there some how.

The good pushrod length checkers have marks on them to tell you what length to order. Each rotation is X length.

If I remember correctly, pushrods are NOT measured tip to tip. That's why the checker has a all the way down it's XX.XX and each turn makes it X longer. Then order the length from the manufacturer that made the checker.

IE if you want comp pushrods, you should use a comp checker. I know at one time Crane and Comp measured their lengths differently. There is no standardization.



Needless to say, when you get your new pushrods, recheck the contact pattern with a sharpie to verify. It's also best do use a solid lifter for checking.

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I ordered the Trick Flow length checker I thought it was one of those "X rotations=X length" ones but when it got here I was sadly disappointed. So I made the best of the situation and measured it with calipers like they said to do. I will be measuring the ones that I ordered and re-checking the pattern with them as well.

I did order Trick Flow pushrods to match the Trick Flow length checker, so hopefully all is well when they arrive tomorrow.

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers
_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group