Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HID kits
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DBL_TKE
Member


Joined: 28 Feb 2007
Posts: 1505
Location: Aloha, OR

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
I come across projector housings all the time. They are for big rigs, but I could keep a few of them if you guys want to dissect them. They use a HB3 2 wire style bulb, but are clearly projection lenses.


4x6 projector housings? I'd definitely be interested. I plan on doing an FX-R projector retrofit sometime this year. I've been going back and forth about whether I want to do it into 4x6 housing or E36 housings.

_________________
Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphius wrote:
I was under the distinct impression that halogen projectors (which my Impreza had factory) were different than actual HID projectors.

This supports my case. The differences are small, but they will lead to a non-optimal light pattern.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?16902-HID-Projector-vs.-Halogen-Projector-differences&s=0e526b6b56d23dab207ad19637d7ac02&p=161287&viewfull=1#post161287

At this point I feel I'm being pretty pedantic though. Laughing I'm really nitpicking but I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row on this. I'm sure you understand.


Oh I realize they're "different" but it's kind of the same way factory 'vette L98s and fbody L98s differ. Their output varies SLIGHTLY, the construction varies a bit in some places but their function is almost identical. HID projectors are just nice because then you can use and off the shelf D2S/D2R/D4R/D1R/D1S/whatever capsule.

Twilightoptics wrote:
I come across projector housings all the time. They are for big rigs, but I could keep a few of them if you guys want to dissect them. They use a HB3 2 wire style bulb, but are clearly projection lenses.


Dibs! Laughing

DBL_TKE wrote:
Twilightoptics wrote:
I come across projector housings all the time. They are for big rigs, but I could keep a few of them if you guys want to dissect them. They use a HB3 2 wire style bulb, but are clearly projection lenses.


4x6 projector housings? I'd definitely be interested. I plan on doing an FX-R projector retrofit sometime this year. I've been going back and forth about whether I want to do it into 4x6 housing or E36 housings.


I'm pretty sure he just means the projectors themselves. Not a retro setup.

_________________

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
Oh I realize they're "different" but it's kind of the same way factory 'vette L98s and fbody L98s differ. Their output varies SLIGHTLY, the construction varies a bit in some places but their function is almost identical. HID projectors are just nice because then you can use and off the shelf D2S/D2R/D4R/D1R/D1S/whatever capsule.


Agreed. Just for the sake of clarity and correct information.

You've got me seriously considering the benefits of HIDs on the Subie.

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are molded to the hood housings. Not even close to 4x6.

I'm sure you could fab the projector into an e-code housing.

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, if you get a chance I'd love to get a couple of those from you and play around with them.

Are they just discarded and replaced at your work or something?

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Usually they get replaced from accidents or the common yellow fog of the outer lens.

I'll grab some the next time I see some through. Usually get a few every month.

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
jchaussee
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 1318
Location: renton


PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if anybody wants to go the cheap route with me, I am sure if there are a few of us I could get him down to 150 for all four lights
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group