| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
1987_sportcoupe Member
Joined: 08 Jul 2011 Posts: 246 Location: Tacoma, WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro
|
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:49 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Alright will do. The cylinders have already been bored .30 over but not sure when so ill just have a machinists check over everything. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:57 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Ideally, cylinders are measured for initial size. If they need to be bored over, you don't just Bore 0.030" over factory. You choose the pistons you are going to run, purchase them, measure them, then bore the engine according to the piston manufacturers spec above the measurement.
If it's just bored to 4.030 then some pistons may need a smaller or larger hole depending.
You also just bore the motor until there is about 0.005" left before your target, then you hone the 5 thou out with yet another machine that takes out less metal but is an art. _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:57 pm Post subject: |
|
|
You should also pick up a SBC book. It'll fill you in alot too. _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
1987_sportcoupe Member
Joined: 08 Jul 2011 Posts: 246 Location: Tacoma, WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro
|
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:01 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Yea I picked up a book called how to rebuild your sbc that goes through the entire assembly process. Any suggestions on some good pistons for a decent price? |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:39 pm Post subject: |
|
|
You get what you pay for.
TRW are strong as hell but heavy.
Ross, JE, Weisco, Eagle, Scat.
Scat is on the lower end, JE on the high end.
And dozens of others.
You need to decide what you're building before you start talking pistons. AND you need to have the engine decked after the rod/pistons have arrived and been assembled. _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
1987_sportcoupe Member
Joined: 08 Jul 2011 Posts: 246 Location: Tacoma, WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro
|
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:48 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| I want this motor to be reliable and have a little bit of power. I know I'm not building a race car just a solid 350. Shooting for about 310 HP. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
BluFbdy Member
Joined: 16 Jul 2010 Posts: 915 Location: Port Orchard WA
1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:23 pm Post subject: |
|
|
It depends what you want to do with it, cast are strong ish hyper pistons are light but weak and forged are solid but pricey as hell lol ask me how I know, I believe we went over this a few months back...... moral of the story is if forged isn't in your budget and you don't plan on boosting it hyper pistons are the affordable choice, make sure you get them from a company, a legit one, no house brands. Found out the hard way house brands are not matched for weight and they won't balance well _________________ If you expect a kick to the balls and get a slap to the face its still a victory
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
izcain 9sec Club
Joined: 09 Sep 2006 Posts: 1306 Location: Port Angeles WA
1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:42 am Post subject: |
|
|
Weight is all in the design of the piston, some hypers are alot heavier then forged......... Hypers are also extremly strong but cannot take a ping well. Forged are "softer" in a sense and so they absorb the ping better without shattering.
I dont mean the metal is softer I just mean the material cushions better without shattering.
Look up pictures of piston failures and normally you will see a hyper piston shattered in the bore from being pushed past the limits. Forged you will see something melt or bend in some way instead of the pistons blown to bits. _________________
1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
1987_sportcoupe Member
Joined: 08 Jul 2011 Posts: 246 Location: Tacoma, WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro
|
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:52 am Post subject: |
|
|
| Alright I have another question, I talked to Paul at Pacific Machine Shop and he gave me a list of what I need to bring in to have my motor balanced which included the flywheel and pressure plate. So my question is what flywheel should I go with here? I'm going to be running a WC T-5. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Alphius Peanut

Joined: 05 Sep 2006 Posts: 2429 Location: Grand Mound
1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:54 am Post subject: |
|
|
2-piece RMS 153-tooth flywheel. You can get one at a parts store by telling them you have an '83-'85 V8 Camaro with a T5. _________________ 84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
1987_sportcoupe Member
Joined: 08 Jul 2011 Posts: 246 Location: Tacoma, WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro
|
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:04 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Ok thanks but now my question is what to do about a starter? I have a 70s 350 and so I hear I'm going to have problems with a starter that works |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:54 pm Post subject: |
|
|
153 tooth starter works with 153 tooth flywheel.
I have a SFI Hayes flywheel, 2 piece rear main 153 tooth. I think I was asking $50 for it if you want it. Real good shape. You can still see the turn marks in it. _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
1987_sportcoupe Member
Joined: 08 Jul 2011 Posts: 246 Location: Tacoma, WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro
|
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:05 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Oh now I see the price lol. Ill take it. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|