Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Career change!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Career change!! Reply with quote

So I havent been around in a while, started driving truck in 09 when my wife was pregnant and just kind of lost all intrest in the camaro. Went thru a divorce, year of baching it, then back together with the wife. Life is good, trucking turned out to be something i really enjoyed, although it consumed every minute of life. I liked working on the truck and kind of pimping it out. Flat screen, wicked stereo, fridge, big inverter, coffee pot, ect, ect. After Jenn and I got back together at new years I've been debating starting a repair shop in the little rural town i grew up in, about 20 miles from Klamath Falls. Tractors, trucks, atv's. The last few years I put together a fully equipped service truck and there is a shop building out there I could get into. So come June 2, we're talking about starting this business on the side until theres enough work to quit driving.

June 2 is a sunday, I have to unload in Salt Lake City monday so I leave out about 4pm Sunday. Make it 3 hrs from home, just across the Nevada state line when I catch a slow moving RV. As I catch him at the bottom of a hill I move out to pass and maybe 100 feet from him realise he's slowing down fast. split second later he turns left right infront of the truck. I barely even hit the brakes, tried to miss him to the left but still hit him. Busted my passanger side tierod and the truck leaves the highway at about 60mph, hits soft ground and hooks hard back to the highway. Loaded at 80,000 with super slick laminated particle board, the truck rolled over on the drivers side, then upside down, finally stopping on the passenger side with me stuck upside down. It took 40 minutes to get enough help to drag me out. 40 minutes on my head just listening and hoping it didnt catch on fire( worrying about all my awesome electronics shorting out). My dog Holley, an 80 lb Rott, was asleep on the bed and I never heard a sound from her so I assumed she was dead back there. They finally get me out and I'm not really hurt, just some cuts, so start trying to dig into Holley. An hour after the wreck Holley came wandering in out of the sagebrush, unscratched but scared as shizzle!! After they pulled the truck back over I seen where it tore the roof off when it rolled and must have ejected her, lucky she missed the trailer and load that was going everywhere

So I'm done driving for now atleast! Just remember to be careful, shizzle can go wrong really fast. As for the old couple in the RV, camper tore up but not a scratch on them.
RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap! Thankfully no one was hurt. Who was at fault?
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy! Glad you and Holley are OK.
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Glad you are ok. Also happy to hear the family is whole.

I am sure you will do well no matter what line of work you take on. Take care Rod.

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude! Hammers weren't meant to fly.

Seriously glad you're okay. And that the family front is looking better. Can you use this to transition directly into the truck shop?

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy s**t, buddy. That's a hell of a roll.

Glad to see your alright, and that you've got something lined up to keep the cash coming in.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if my job tried to kill me like that, i'd change careers too! Glad to hear everyones ok and good luck with the new business.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an experience! Happy to hear everybody is okay (you and others). It's hard to start over and especially to take risk as a business owner. I admire you for doing that.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
Wow Rodney! What a spactacular wreck. I am so glad to hear you are ok! It's also nice to hear you and Jen are back together.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite the wreck, Rod.

Glad to hear you and Holley made it out okay, and that you and Jen patched things up.

You've had a serious couple years. Glad to hear you're still alive and kicking, buddy.

Starting a business is tough in an economy like ours, Sure hope it works out for ya.

Thumbs up
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, definitely nothing I care to ever experience again! Shop is off to a good start, scored a great deal on a 10k lb lift, its awesome. Probably going to be a tough winter, but right now it is so nice to get out of the rat race I've been in for 4 years. Might even do something with the Camaro, and I had started building a diesel powered 58 F100 last winter.
RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Olds!
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lift!
BigDaddyVu
12sec Club

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get a load from intermountain wood products?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: