Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google updating its info?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Google updating its info? Reply with quote

Anyone know how long it takes google to update its info?

I'm trying to relocate and find a job. I read a "tips" thing and it basically said to make your self invisible on the net, or as much as you can. So when typing in my info, Ive found a few things. Not bad, but still dont want to show up. Ive edited/removed/deleted. But after 6 days its still showing. I know thats to soon, but just wondering.

I removed my website 7 months ago, it no longer shows up Laughing
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no hard and fast rule, and Google itself doesn't make known what it's criteria is. It's based on a lot of things like interlinking and popularity of sites.

Reindexing will probably take place for most of your stuff within a few weeks, but that's nothing more than a network administrator's educated guess and personal experience speaking.

Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type on info, some stuff is really hard to remove from searches, even if you take it offline based on site linking, and other stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of it was a link I put in several post on TGO. I edited each post removing the link.

1 post is over at some other v6 site that I dont even remember my info to go in and edit if it would allow. I dont even remember going to that site, but all looks like stuff I would type. That shows up under bing search, but not google.

Only other thing thats really showing up is my ebay account. Which I'm fine with. It shows 100% feedback.

:edit:
1. Ive had I think 4 websites over time. The only things linking me to any of them are the links I removed from TGO. The site is loonnggg gone.
2. I did just do a search on my old user name. Holy crap lots of info still out there on it. But none appears to be linked to my current name.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is sort of the thing that sucks, which is that you are sort of at the mercy of those other sites. You HOPE they get re-indexed, and that for some reason the forums haven't been modified in a way that google doesn't read that you removed the link.

I would think that if you edited the posts, and removed the old website, even if they do find it, it won't mean anything to them.

The other thing to be concerned about is if they look at the archive.org site for historic refrences to your site. But, honestly, do you really think the new employer will go that far in their research?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt know about that site, time to sniff more.

Best thing for me, I'm not that agressive and never really got into any pissing matches open to public, I usually take them to private.
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, that site had my photography site, but didnt keep many of the pictures.
had 1 of my car sites, but just the main page, not any info or pics

I did post my old email on TGO a few times Sad But the post are so old I cant go in and edit them to remove it. ugh.
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is stuff connected to your name from forums? Don't you just go by a username?
cdoyle

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most employers will do a quick google/bing searchw of your name and also check out your FB page.

Did you use your real name in your TGO threads? If not, unless you're going for a high position most employers won't go any further than the FB and quick search by your name.

QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's Facebook? Wink

Ya, I don't have anything like that. Useless. Well... unless you're an employer. Laughing
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used several user names over the years. The main one is actually part of my real name. My main user name, is also my email. Hince they will have that and could easily search on it.

My FB page is locked down fairly hard. Not because of work, but because of my hobby. Plus anyone who is not my friend, doesnt need to know whats going on in my life. Which is partly the reason I want to move. But I have double checked it and cleaned a few things out JIC.
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this back up.

Its been 2 months, and some of the stuff has been reindexed including part of TGO. Smile

Still no luck on job hunting. My field is quickly becoming obsolete.
DBL_TKE

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as Facebook goes, it doesn't matter how "private" you make everything, many employers have the resources to view everything.
Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jchaussee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya. I gave up trying to hide. Google my name and a bunch of stuff comes up
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google my name and you most likely get info on the Prime Minister of Rhodesia in the 60s. Laughing

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: