Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My swap - begining to end
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brass rad? External balance....You building a '55?
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will work great Al. I have a 3 row brass radiator in my blue car.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a lot of the pros & cons each way after talking with the fist shop, since he's actually retired, he referred me to the shop (Bart Ward's Radiator Works) I ultimately made the deal with. Bart's a neat old fellow and backed up all that Arctic Radiator told me.

Aluminum is stronger and will support larger tubes, but harder to work with. In the brass/copper setup, heat transfer can be inhibited by the leaded solder used to connect the fins to the tubes. An all aluminum unit can have electrolysis issues. Aluminum can handle higher pressures.

I didn't care to have the plastic tanks any more, and a single core, though a wide one, I didn't think would be enough for the new motor.

For anyone in the Kitsap area who may be need of radiator service, here is his whole web site consisting of one page.
http://www.bartwardsradiator.com/bartwardsradiator/Welcome.html
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about using a fine cored intercooler for a rad. Weldable end tanks where ever I want...

I think you can even buy aluminum cores now just for that purpose. Plastic tanks blow! HAH yeah get it BLOW

Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the headers for the second time after install. This time to cut off the air tubes and remove the smog pump and all that stuff. Test fitted after taking the tubes off, I couldn't believe how much more of the motor I could see afterward Razz

I get to pick up my new radiator tomorrow, and hopefully my rebuilt throttle body. Then I can get to all the little stuff and get this swap complete.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headers are installed for the final time, I hope. Don't need to go through another set of gaskets without using them Embarassed AIR is all removed and the passenger side of the motor is no longer cluttered up Cool All the accessories are bolted on, radiator mounted and lower hose installed (parts store was out of the upper hose today). Power steering cooling lines attached to the lower radiator support, still need a couple of little o-rings at the steering box. Also have a little electrical to clean up on both sides of the motor.

Here's the passenger side after removing all the AIR stuff

And likewise, the driver side. Also note the EGR tube attached to the #7 primary.

Leejo2005

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, when are you planning on having it back on the road? I have a set of wire looms but I need some spacers for them as the bolts sit recessed a bit in my valve covers.
1967 Satellite Sport 383
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not soon enough!!! It's all these little details that are taking all the time. Although most aren't difficult in themselves, it's just that they need to be done with something else, or wait for another to be done first, for one I want to put the distributor on, but then I'd have to remove it to prime the motor after putting oil in.

Speaking of the distributor, I did stick it in today just to see where the wires go. I found that the ground point the harness was anchored to on the back of the driver side head made the ICM wires too short to reach the distributor. I undid the ground, moved the clamp on the harness and reattached to the head. I ended up with about 6" of slack for the ICM wires.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more progress this weekend. I have the TBI unit on, hooked up the throttle and cruise cables, the throttle cable has full movement on the lever, so the bracket appears to be in the correct position. Changed the connector for the TPS to the smaller round one to fit the new TBI.Connected as many vacuum lines as possible, still need to connect the brake booster and vacuum reservoir behind the TBI. I also put the air cleaner on to check hood clearance, looks like I'll be fine by this shot here, but if not, a smaller TBI spacer might do the trick...

rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll be fine there Al.
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you end up with for a throttle bracket Al? one of those aftermarket ones?

'88 FORMULA
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a combination of the stock piece and one made by Edelbrock for Vortec intakes and "Edelbrock carburetors." I cut the rear bolt hole off from the stock piece and bolted it to the part of the Edelbrock bracket, which is made for vertical intake bolts. I thought I was going to use the entire Edelbrock bracket, but the cruise cable wouldn't fit in either of the two remaining holes, and the throttle cable ended up in the wrong place. Ended up looking pretty nice IMO.

I used the half of this bracket to mount to the intake..

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/8032/10002/-1

Then bolted what was left of the stock piece to the coil mounting boss (as stock would be) and the side of the Edelbrock bracket.

From the front, you can see the bolts used for the coil and the intake to hold the brackets in place. I also used the bracket to hold my new EGR tube in place.

And from the passenger side, you can see where I cut the mounting ear off from the stock bracket, and the rear intake bolt to hold the bracket in place.

fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the pics, I may have to do something similar, I think I may be able to atleast hook up the throttle by just hacking up the stock piece and mounting on the coil boss... Then worry about the cruise later.
Speaking of which, does the coil need to mount to the intake? There is something in the back of my head saying it needs to be grounded to the engine, is that true? or can I remote mount it to get it out of the way?
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool just needs to be securely mounted. To metal that is grounded. Doesn't have to be engine.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with stupid

Ran mine on my metal heater box for years with no trouble.
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
I'm with stupid

Ran mine on my metal heater box for years with no trouble.

Ditto.

Mine has caused zero issues mounted to my metal heater box.

I didn't think it needed to be grounded? I ran it screwed into the fiberglass A/C box for a while and had no problems there either?

Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more progress, then a set-back. I put the drive shaft back in, filled the transmission and bolted the shifter in. Filled the power steering pump. Installed a new belt which might be an inch or so too short, this one is 96 5/8" and pulls the tensioner all the way past the tight indicator.

I started to add oil, and when I went to install the filter, I saw that there was something missing. Apparently, there is a piece that the filter mounts on like my V6 and there was no where to thread the filter on. Maybe something I should have taken from the 305? I really never noticed there was a piece between the filter and the block.

I can see what look to be mounting holes up in the cavity for the oil filter assy, but no place to thread the filter on.

Other that this, it's looking more like the motor it should. I need to finish up some vacuum lines, tighten up electrical connections at the starter, install and hook up battery, fill the motor with oil and water, prime, then install and connect the distributor before I start it for the first time.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's either a small aluminum piece that bolts there or the factory oil cooler.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it might have something to do with the oil cooler. Where can I get the aluminum piece that goes there?

Anyway, here's where I'm at, just a few little things to go and the motor minus distributor looks like so...

Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small piece that bolts there can come from any old smallblock.

I had the same thing missing when I replaced my shortblock, but luckily my old motor was sitting in the bed of the truck and I yanked it off there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: