Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to buy a car from Canada?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: How to buy a car from Canada? Reply with quote

Anybody know about procedures to buy cars from Canada? Can I drive across the border and just drive back with it on a trailer? Fees? Rules? Licensing in the US?
flea

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm/entering_us/7importingyourcar.htm

It can certainly be done, but it might prove to be less hassle to just find the parts you need and import them as opposed to the whole car.

kidcamaro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it can be a pain in the ass also....when i moved here with my 84 i had a hell of a time tryin to get the paperwork straight so i could register it. they gave me a semi estimate on how much it would cost to get it legal for US standards and it was around 3500 bucks if i remember right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Whiskeychick

1987 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you cant just drive it over on a trailer unless its strictly a parts car.

You need to provide the boarder with the title and papers for the car and give them 72hrs to process the info.
If its less then 15years old you have 60 days (I believe) to get it through inspection. Over 15 you can take as much time as you want.
Also have to pay taxes, any enviro fees (air conditioning fee 100.00) etc

But if it is a canadian car it will meet all the emmision/bumper etc regulation. Just have to make sure the brakes, body, glass etc is all in perfect working order.

I brought a 79 Bronco the other way from the states to Canada. They can be kinda sticky on things but usually its not that big of a deal. But our dollar being on par, unless its one steal of a deal, would be better to find a car in the states right now.

kidcamaro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 84 was 17 yrs old when i brought it over...i didnt have to do the inspection on it but the thing i had to get up to standards was the emmisions...they said because it was a canandian car it wasnt built to US standards. they said i had to get it to standards or ship it back up...i couldnt even sell it to a junk yard for scrap down here because of it. they might have changed their rules by now as this was back on 2001.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: