Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MSD 6AL swap
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spikeophant

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: MSD 6AL swap Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Just picked up my new carb last night, Carter AFB Competition series 650CFM 4bbl, picking up my new intake tonight. Next I'm going to grap an MSD-6AL box, and ditch the computer controlled carb, and, well, the computer as a whole on this car. Any advice? Will my fans still work, or do I need to do something there? Any other things I should worry about not working after the swap? Any advice is much appreciated..

aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need a distributor.

Fan is easy, just buy this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-890017/

Wire it up correctly with a relay. You can also jump a toggle switch into the relay ground circuit to manually override the automatic switch.
Spikeophant

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just really started looking into timing on this, I hadn't thought about that before. Will I have to swap out my distributor for somthing with vacuum advance, I'm reading on MSD's site, and I don't see anything to control timing? I'm kinda new to this, I've always ran stock electronic ignitions on my other cars, they're pre computer controls, so I have always just used vacuum advanced dists.
Spikeophant

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I should just pick up the MSD billet distributor with vacuum and mechanical advance, and then see which works better?
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get that MSD dizzy. I've seen two personally where when the vacuum advance is hooked up, it does WEIRD things to the spark, backfires out the carb, etc. WEIRD and junk.

Any dizzy with Mechanical advance and Vacuum advance beyond that will work fine.

You're ditching the CPU that means everything is now "mechanical."

aaron_sK

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSD distributors are overpriced anyhow. Get a stock dizzy out of a junkyard car, then buy a recurve kit and play with it to dial the curve in.

I've been very happy with the stock Duraspark dizzy I have in the Monterey. It's paired with an older MSD box, and a new MSD Blaster coil. Spark is the least of that car's problems. Razz

You don't want a mechanical-only distrubutor in a street car. Drag only. No vacuum advance will result in a loss of power and fuel mileage in any situation but WOT.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a comment on the recurve kit, if you buy one don't use the weights. Use only the springs. The weights are not shaped or hardened correctly.

A stock HEI distributor will work real well. There's a chinese version on ebay that comes complete very cheap. On a couple of car boards I visit people seem to be having luck with them.
Spikeophant

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I'll pick up a stock distributor and an MSD blaster coil to go with it. I think I need to run those heat boots on my plug wires now too, I noticed a miss start, and checked, #8 has a slightly melted boot, and I don't even have headers. :\ What do you guys use to keep your wires routed cleanly? I have nothing stock left for that, of course, and was thinking about using these silicone wire holders my buddy has on his 383 in his cuda. They don't actually screw in, just hold the wires down and out of the way. Any advice for what works well in this engine bay would be appreciated.

While I have it apart, anything else cheap and quick I should do to grab a few more hp? I have an Edelbrock intake, Carter AFB comp series carb, msd 6AL box, with the add on for rev limiting, gonna pick up a distributor soonish. Maybe swap cams out while I'm in here? I'm running the LG4 heads, so my compression should be up around 9.5:1, since I'm running flat top pistons. From what I've read, they're decent heads, should do fine for a daily driven street car.... What's a good rpm to limit this engine at? I was thinking I'd limit it at 5k, but I'm used to my old mopars, which don't spin out well without some bottom end work.

Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spikeophant wrote:
What do you guys use to keep your wires routed cleanly?

What's a good rpm to limit this engine at?

1. Zip ties. Very Happy

2. Run mine out to 6000 easily. Power peaks around 5600-5700 for me so I shift it right back into the power peak.

Spikeophant

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I'm running zip ties right now, wanted something a bit cleaner looking. I'll figure something out, might build something to hold them in the right spot. Is 6k safe for a non roller motor? No valvetrain float? That's what I'm really worried about going over 5k. I know my truck will float much over 4500, sadly. But it's old and has weak springs. Dunno how the springs are in these heads, I'm worried they didn't rebuild the heads when tey put the 350 under them.
Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spikeophant wrote:
Heh, I'm running zip ties right now, wanted something a bit cleaner looking. I'll figure something out, might build something to hold them in the right spot. Is 6k safe for a non roller motor? No valvetrain float? That's what I'm really worried about going over 5k. I know my truck will float much over 4500, sadly. But it's old and has weak springs. Dunno how the springs are in these heads, I'm worried they didn't rebuild the heads when tey put the 350 under them.

Black zip ties. Razz Seriously though, they do make universal spark plug wire holder things that you can buy at some autoparts stores or pretty much anywhere on the internet, like Summit Racing.

No way of knowing what'll float your valves until you try. I'd say you're leaving a ton of power on the table with a 5k rev limit. My heads have new valvesprings but I'm still flat tappet and I've seen a datalogged 6500 RPM with no valve float. I was absolutely out of power by then, but I've done it. Wouldn't spin a mostly stock motor that high regularly but it is an example.

Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revs depend on peak hp, valve train build, bottom end build, etc.

I've had mine to 7500 a few times. It's pointless because peak power is at 6k.

Though I've got all aftermarket beefy valve train, fully balanced bottom end with arp hardware.

It's not just a matter of valve springs either... rockers and pushrods need to be able to handle it.

Look what your cam is spec-ed at and build the rest to it. I've never floated a valve in my motor audibly, even at 7500.

Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or are we talking about maximum allowable engine speed before something comes apart?

Put her in first, engine off. Let a train push you until something comes apart.

You'll need a Honda tach for this one.

Spikeophant

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the tips guys. I'll post some pics of my new underhood look once I get everything installed, gonna wait till my other car is back on the road, meaning when I get the trunk floor welded back in, and engine/trans installed in it. Shouldn't be too long now, pretty close...
Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
Or are we talking about maximum allowable engine speed before something comes apart?

Put her in first, engine off. Let a train push you until something comes apart.

You'll need a Honda tach for this one.

It is now my life's goal to try this with the next junker car with intact motor that falls into my lap.

aaron_sK

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphius wrote:
Black zip ties. Razz

Heh. Trick with zipties on plug wires is knowing how to do it. Especially on a V8 since you don't want pairs tied together. You need to make a linked chain out of the ties so that every other tie has a wire through it. This will give a good grip on the wire, and keep the wires apart.

If you want clips, and run 7 or 8mm wires, go to the junkyard and pick a bunch up.

If you want to throw money at the problem (and face it, you do, because you restored a Dodge Dart) Taylor makes a very nice set. I used two clip sets and a set of custom cut Taylor wires on the IROC, and was very pleased with it.
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
Especially on a V8 since you don't want pairs tied together.

Razz

I zip tied 1&3, 5&7, 2&4, and 6&8 together about 3 inches above the boot. Keeps them off the header tubes.
redlava

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been running mine like the hammer for quite a while now, only way i've been able to save the wires from getting burnt.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcgee wrote:
aaron_sK wrote:
Especially on a V8 since you don't want pairs tied together.

Razz

I zip tied 1&3, 5&7, 2&4, and 6&8 together about 3 inches above the boot. Keeps them off the header tubes.

Yup yup Did the same thing.

Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And who says rednecks dont own camaros!! Razz Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: