Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manual Transmission Swap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
popballz

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Manual Transmission Swap Reply with quote

It is from a "GM 1985 Camaro/Firebird 2.8 V6" should I even consider putting it in my v8 305?
Or have a shop rebuild it with stronger parts?

Are these directions and list of items correct?
http://www.thirdgen.org/f-body-auto-tranny-manual-tranny-swap

All I have right now is the transmission.. and I am planning on getting "slave cylinder and set of pedals" from Kurfbird!

All 5-speed manual transmission are the same for both v6/v8?
I have read:
"Changing of the speedometer gear is a definite requirement when installing a transmission and V-8 unit in a 6-cylinder, and vice versa. "
and
"Although the V-6 and 4-cylinder input shafts are 14-spline and will fit with the proper clutch disc, they are not recommended for V-8 applications. They do not have the higher torque ratings required for the V-8 units without upgrading the internals."

Does this look like the right parts? I have never seen a "clutch" but the title is "New Clutch Kit 1983-92 5.0L Pontiac Firebird, Trans Am" Wink
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Clutch-Kit-1983-92-5-0L-Pontiac-Firebird-Trans-Am-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1dba6dc1fQQitemZ7980112927QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#shId

Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a basically stock 305, the V6 tranny will probably be able to handle the power. Only problem is the Clutch/Pressure plate. You'd have to find a way to take a V8 clutch Disc and respline the disc so it has the 14 spline count for the V6.

I may be wrong but I think the inputs are also a different diameter, and I think the tranny-to-bellhousing bolt pattern is different. Someone like Paul or Brandon could tell ya for sure about that.

That being said, it would probably be easier and potentially cheaper to just find a V8 transmission.

T56 Elitist

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at what I just posted.

http://www.cascadecrew.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7287

www.t5cablespeedometer.com
www.t56cablespeedometer.com

Ronald Reagan: "Most of us wonder if our lives made any difference. Marines don't have that problem."
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't use the V6 trans behind a V8. The gear ratios are way different and the v8 power causes the case to flex and cause failure.

Bellhousing to trans mounting is the same. The V6 case is Identical to the v8.

V8/2.8 V6 bellhousings are different. 4.3L bell is the same as v8

You can take a v6disc and v8disc to a friction supply store and they can change the v6 hub into the v8 friction. It's like $75 usually... you'll have to do that everytime you get a clutch. If the tranny survives that long.

Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like they are saying, you can do it but it'll be kind of a lame solution. Should work out alright behind a stock 305 if you're really nice to it.

My contribution to this thread is a gear ratio reference.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/transmissions-drivetrain/162853-t-5-transmission-cross.html

Here are the two sets of ratios it could be based on the 1985 V6 info:
................First...........Second...Third.......Fourth......Reverse
T5P..........4.03...........2.37.......1.49........1.1............3.76 Fifth .76
T5S..........3.50...........2.14.......1.39........1.1............3.39 Fifth .73

The 4.03 first would suck. The 3.50 not quite as bad. But compared to an actual V8 trans they're pretty bad:

T5U..........2.95...........1.94.......1.34........1.1............2.76

I can't imagine driving my car with a 4.03 first. It would be horrible.

aaron_sK

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphius wrote:
I can't imagine driving my car with a 4.03 first. It would be horrible.

It's a truck tranny if it's got those ratios... I think. The T5 I had in my S10 had 4.03 first. It was a half-assed granny, but it let you tow stuff with the veesix.
popballz

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are all the 700r4 transmissions the same?

Would this easily fit?
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/1732866418.html

chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That won't fit, cause its not actually a 700r4.. Its a 4l60e. About 93 gm changed the 700s into 4l60e's which are nearly the same.. except they're computer controlled electronic shifted.

Best 700s will be 88-92. There are some internal differences that make these stronger. V/8 and v/6 trannies are different as well., except for the 4.3. Which will bolt up to a v/8, but doesnt have as many clutches inside. You want one from any 2wd vehicle, but if its not an fbody you'll need to swap the tailshaft housing in order to have the torque arm mounting holes.
popballz

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
That won't fit, cause its not actually a 700r4.. Its a 4l60e. About 93 gm changed the 700s into 4l60e's which are nearly the same.. except they're computer controlled electronic shifted.

Best 700s will be 88-92. There are some internal differences that make these stronger. V/8 and v/6 trannies are different as well., except for the 4.3. Which will bolt up to a v/8, but doesnt have as many clutches inside. You want one from any 2wd vehicle, but if its not an fbody you'll need to swap the tailshaft housing in order to have the torque arm mounting holes.

Ok so any thirdgen v8, the auto tranny should fit right into my car?!?!
But if it is after 88 it will be stronger?!?!

Ima go to the junkyard tomorrow then!

Also it should be a petty fast job (like a day) if I just swap n another auto transmission, right??

DBL_TKE

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have all the tools, parts and know what your doing it can be done in a couple hours. To be safe just plan a weekend for it.
Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: