Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP with altenator QUICK!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IROC-stangs

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: HELP with altenator QUICK! Reply with quote

ok so for a while now my camaro hasnt been running and its either (hopefully) the battery or starter since the altenator is 100% fine. anyhow so im trying to recconect the alt. and i need to know where does the negative bat cable go connecting to the alt? i need to try to get this done tonight and recharge battery since when i had it tested they said it was extremely low and if it still wont start then i will know its the starter. sorry bout the spelling im in a rush.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Negative battery cable goes to the alternator bracket, power steering bracket (depending on the position of various accessories) or the block.
IROC-stangs

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well i just figured out my prob with that is i cant find the bolt. haha and also im trying to but the belt back on everything but i cant get it back on everything. i must be missing something.
IROC-stangs

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well i got the neg batt cable attached (was trying the wrong bolt hole Doh!

anyhow i still cant figure out how to get the belt on and what bolt is it that i use to tighten/loosen the belt?
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be two 13mm. Might be one 13mm and one 9/16 or some BS; GM was weird about that in the 80's.

Loosen the upper and lower alt bolts so the alt can be pulled back and forth, but not easily.

Find a big bar or something and use it to rock the alt outward (don't go crazy and over-tighten the belt). Hold the bar with one hand, and tighten the upper bolt. Then release the bar and tighten the lower bolt.
IROC-stangs

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
Should be two 13mm. Might be one 13mm and one 9/16 or some BS; GM was weird about that in the 80's.

Loosen the upper and lower alt bolts so the alt can be pulled back and forth, but not easily.

Find a big bar or something and use it to rock the alt outward (don't go crazy and over-tighten the belt). Hold the bar with one hand, and tighten the upper bolt. Then release the bar and tighten the lower bolt.

thanks i'll check it out and try the method. so all the hundreds of diffrent bolts is just on 80's gm vehicles? thank god because its gets really annyoing having to keep switch sockets and all for pretty much every little thing.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No dude, all cars have different sizes of bolts. Smack! Comes from different bolts having to hold different things.

What I was referring to was GM's tendency to mix standard and metric sizes, and even put standard sized heads on bolts with metric thread patterns.

Putting a water pump in a '91 Century drove me crazy. Bolt looked like a 10mm so I grabbed a 10, no go. Tried an 11mm, nothing. Tried a 3/8", viola. One bolt was chewed up so I went to the bin to get another one. Found a standard 3/16" or whatever that had a 3/8" head; wont thread. WTF? Turns out GM put a standard head on a metric bolt. Solely to piss me off, I'm sure. Razz
IROC-stangs

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
No dude, all cars have different sizes of bolts. Smack! Comes from different bolts having to hold different things.

What I was referring to was GM's tendency to mix standard and metric sizes, and even put standard sized heads on bolts with metric thread patterns.

Putting a water pump in a '91 Century drove me crazy. Bolt looked like a 10mm so I grabbed a 10, no go. Tried an 11mm, nothing. Tried a 3/8", viola. One bolt was chewed up so I went to the bin to get another one. Found a standard 3/16" or whatever that had a 3/8" head; wont thread. WTF? Turns out GM put a standard head on a metric bolt. Solely to piss me off, I'm sure. Razz

ok dam it stills annoys me though that everything gotta be diffrent sizes. if actually had this problem but more like trying diffent sockets and then finally at the end of your socket collection you get the right one or you just have to rig one up to the bolt, strong sockets and hammers for the win!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: