Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tuning: Spark Map

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Tuning: Spark Map Reply with quote

Those of you who do tuning, could I ask to see your spark maps for comparison to mine? Even a stock spark map could be helpful for the information. Fuel maps are easy with the wideband, but spark is hard to tune on the street. It seems like fumbling around in the dark looking for max torque without hurting my motor.

I have one map from someone else Megasquirted I think I'll try, but it seems a little conservative, but very smooth. It's from a bone stock 70's 350 with a TBI on top:

Then there's my map, which seems to run good and not detonate, but also looks uglier than sin Rolling Eyes:

Any tips or pointers? Should I use the new, smooth pretty map or my old one that seems like it's all over the place?

You know, after looking at this post and my 3D maps, I kow at least one improvement to my table would be for sure smoothing the upper kPa range, so it doesn't spike at 100 kPa. Don't know what I was thinking with the tuning then, but it looks like I just focused on getting 100 kPa to max timing with no knock and ignored the 90 kPa and down bins. I haven't even looked at timing in quite a bit, I've been focusing on VE recently.

If you have a map to share, even from a stock ECU or another aftermarket ECU, I'd really appreciate it.

By the way, my motor is about 9.3:1 compression with flattop pistons and mildly ported smog era truck heads. Don't rib me too much about the heads, an upgrade is in the works. Wink

aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This table sucks, I'll be the first to admit it. It's what I was running in the IROC when I sold it. It needs much more at cruise, and at high rpm WOT. Looking at it now it's obvious I was leaving quite a lot on the table.

It's not the one I was running at dyno. I can't find that file but it was a little more aggressive.
Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
This table sucks, I'll be the first to admit it. It's what I was running in the IROC when I sold it. It needs much more at cruise, and at high rpm WOT. Looking at it now it's obvious I was leaving quite a lot on the table.

It's not the one I was running at dyno. I can't find that file but it was a little more aggressive.

Thanks Aaron. I was hoping you'd chime in here. Wink

I can tell yours is at least leaving a bit of power on the table at higher load. The LV8 Load Average is laid out with higher numerical values representing more load, right?

As far as cruise goes, I seem to recall mine started bucking if I set my cruise ranges up above 38 degrees or so. I'll give the higher numbers another try in my table under cruise because I did have my coil dwell time and max spark length values all jacked up and I just fixed them the other day. Laughing

The problem I'm chasing since I changed my spark table to the new one the other day is that now I'm misfiring once or twice every couple seconds under cruise at any speed. As soon as my load increases or decreases (accel or decel), it doesn't miss though. Cruise AFRs look decent, but it still could be a fuel table problem since changing my spark table as drastically as I did kind of messed up my VE table values as well.

Cool thing about tuning with MegaSquirt and a wideband, is the program I'm using (TunerStudio MS) has a "VE Analyze Live" function that works really well. It automagically tunes my VE table as I drive based on O2 feedback and a Target AFR table. Very Happy Then all I have to do is go back in after it tunes my table and smooth the funny-looking areas out. It makes for a really good fuel table.

I love MegaSquirt. Get down and Boogie! I'm switching to an upgraded third-party firmware that enhances a lot of the features of my base firmware as well as adding new features such as 2-step launch control, flat foot shifting, boost/nitrous control and a lot of other stuff.

I'm glad I decided to go for fuel injection with the MegaSquirt. Silly carburetors. Pokey pokey

Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you add a little 'juice pack' or is that future plans?

-Schultzy

12.73 @ 109.39, 1.793 60 \ 11.794 @ 121.16, 1.62 60 (old combo)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be much more interested in this stuff in about a month. Laughing I'm working on switching over to a EFI setup based on a modded TBI unit.

A little off topic Gabe, What did it take to run MegaSquirt? is it a new ECM or is there much more that needs to be done?

~JAKE

Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schultzy89GTA wrote:
Did you add a little 'juice pack' or is that future plans?

No juice yet, but I am considering it as an interim fun addon while I save and plan for some form of turbocharger/supercharger boost. Megasquirt can control a nitrous solenoid progressively like your Jacobs controller can, as well as inject extra fuel along with the nitrous. Juice would be fun... Gotta get my hands on the stuff for a system without spending too much.

83Z28BlackBetty wrote:
A little off topic Gabe, What did it take to run MegaSquirt? is it a new ECM or is there much more that needs to be done?

I don't mind the offtopic-ness. MS is very much a DIY solution, there are pre-assembled MS controllers available to buy, but the way I did it was more fun. In the mail, I got a box full of electrical components like resistors, capacitors, diodes etc. that needed to be soldered into a board and assembled into a case. It was, however, very much a "follow the directions" type of build.

After you get it assembled, then you build the wire harness (or salvage a harness from something else fuel injected) to connect to all your sensors and injectors. You can keep your mechanical distributor to control spark and use the MS as a fuel-only controller to make it a little simpler. Then get it running, and start tuning!

DIY Kit for MS2 (What I have) runs about $247, but there's an MS1 Kit for around $130 that has a little slower processor and a few less features, but would still work good. I also got an Innovate wideband for $229, but you can tune with a standard narrowband sensor, just not as precisely. I bought a 12' pigtail bare-end wiring harness for $60 and hacked up a TPI harness for the sensor connectors.

It's a big project. You would maybe be better off with a TBI computer and harness from a GM just to make it simple. If you were still living up here I'd for sure spend a weekend helping you set it up, but you're a little far away now. Razz

d00012

2007 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the EBL flash that works well with TBI. Basically, it's plug'n'play. It's pricier and easier than the MS. $350. If you're swapping to TBI, you will need the tbi harness and specify what year/vehicle it came from.

I'll be getting one for the 3.4 once it's all built.
Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EBL looks really cool. If I had a car to run it on and some extra money I'd love to try it out. For me, MS was the way to go, but it's definitely not for everyone.

One reason I love MS is the flexibility. For example, someday not too far away I want to convert my engine to distributorless ignition with wasted spark, and I can do that with MS. Wink

83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats awesome! For now I have a tbi harness and computer to get it on the road and running, but am looking for something with a little more bells and whistles for the future. And every time you post something else MS does, it makes me VERY curious.

Oh you know you want to make a trip down here sometime! Laughing I'll tell you it does make for one EPIC road trip. with plenty of open road to test those WOT and top speed runs...
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll want to tune real quick Jake.

Did you get a 7747 ECM with a 350 setup?

You definitely don't want 305 tbi stuff on there. (yours is 350 right?)

Map based EFI is less forgiving of non stock calibrations than MAF setups.

EBL is the way to go with TBI. The stock TBI "live" data stream is slower than 70's PONG. It's rediculous. You can't really see O2 trends or glitches.

I'll fire up my laptop this weekend and get you a screenshot of my timing.

I'm running about 45 at cruise 1700-2400 in the 40-60kpa range.

Basically take your original map, tweak it, and add 10degrees everywhere but 94-100kpa. I don't recall what heads you have, if they are a vortec heart shaped chamber 34degrees wot at 3000rpm sustained is the way to go. I tuned my HSR on the dyno with 30-32-34-36-38 and noticed no noticable gains or decreases so I chose 34 as a good number.

Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

83Z28BlackBetty wrote:
Thats awesome! For now I have a tbi harness and computer to get it on the road and running, but am looking for something with a little more bells and whistles for the future. And every time you post something else MS does, it makes me VERY curious.

Oh you know you want to make a trip down here sometime! Laughing I'll tell you it does make for one EPIC road trip. with plenty of open road to test those WOT and top speed runs...

If you already have a TBI harness/computer you could build a short little adapter harness for the MS and use it or the GM computer depending on your mood. Razz That way you could build a Megasquirt and still drive the car on the TBI computer, not to mention swap the TBI back in if your car won't run right. Or if you ran spark with the old mech. distributor and fuel only with MS, you could just unbolt your TBI and slap an adapter/carb on it to get around if it ever breaks. Very Happy

I know you like the DIY stuff... I still marvel at your exhaust system even after seeing it just once. That took a lot of work. Your paint job too. Maybe a DIY Megasquirt would be a fun project for you. Wink EBL sounds more painless to set up, however.

Seriously, I would love to take a couple weeks and road trip to Texas. That would be an experience for sure. Sadly, work can't do without me for that long. Sad

83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHA thanks Gabe, I definitely like the DIY stuff for sure, but the more i read about the EBL the more i like it. With a 2 bar MAP sensor it car control boost, N2O, and the tune on the fly flash stuff sounds sick.

But i'm getting WAY ahead of myself here... For now i'm just swapping in stock TBI to get it to run right. Laughing its from a 91 305, which should work fine in stock form on my 305 for now. But you are right Paul, i want to start tuning already!

~JAKE
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so... to revive an old thread. I have started tuning now an am starting to figure out these spark tables. My original table in the chip i've been using was SO CONSERVATIVE. It was like 19* at WOT and 24 at cruize?! wtf. So the past few days i've been messing with that and it has helped a ton! but now i have to redo all my fueling because i'm super lean now...

Aaron, what else would you change about your graph, because i'm totally copying it. HAHA

~JAKE

Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure you zero out the other spark adder tables, and only use the main table.

The only exception to that, is the coolant temp spark modifiers, i would leave those to pull some timing out if you start to run hot, just as a saftey mechanism.

And, of course, watch the knock counts closely as you make the timing changes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has so many different tables depending on what "mode" its in, I dont know which one is the one running mine. Mine is obd2 also, so dont know if it would help?
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey316 wrote:
The only exception to that, is the coolant temp spark modifiers, i would leave those to pull some timing out if you start to run hot, just as a saftey mechanism.

Yup yup

Those are the tables you gotta watch too. Some of them have an offset modifier (which is changeable) so that 0* on the table is actually -20* (or whatever the offset modifier is). You can essentially "zero" the table by setting all the values to 20*, then setting hot values (above 220-ish) at a decaying rate.

83Z28BlackBetty wrote:
Aaron, what else would you change about your graph

For starters make sure you have the right XDF for your BIN. Something sounds way off on yours.

You've got a 700R4; that chip was burned for a stick car. So where the idle timing (along the bottom edge) starts to drop off, bring it back up so it only drops to about 20* and leave it flat. With an auto car you should never have 100% load at 400rpm because of the converter. On a stick car that dip acts as a stall-saver if you dump the clutch to fast.

I was running 32*, all in by 2200, which is a little conservative, but not bad to start out with until you start datalogging and can tune to the car.

The big problem on that particular table was the cruise bump. I was leaving a lot on the table there, as I was getting weird knock counts at cruise which I was trying to eliminate. As it turned out the Flowtechs were setting off the knock sensor. Rolling Eyes Paul's idea of reducing knock sensor sensitivity worked great for that, but I never got around to reseting cruise timing.

Your heads, pistons, and compression ratio dictate your timing. As I recall you're running a smogger truck motor with a mild cam, so you should be able to get away with a lot more timing, especially at cruise, than my L98 could.

Also note that after you run TunerPro's smoothing tool on the table, you need to go back and set all nine idle cells to the same value (bottom left corner, three up and three wide). This will help get rid of wavering idle issues.
Alphius
Peanut

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good tips Aaron. I will proceed to echo your sentiments.

I have smogger truck heads and I run 36 degrees at full throttle all in by 2800. Any less and my butt-o-meter complains, too much more and I get a slight detonation rattle sometimes.

For idle make sure you set all the cells around where you idle to the same value or it will hunt an idle pretty bad at times. Like Aaron said.

Under cruise, try to set it as advanced as you can without feeling it miss or buck. And watch your knock sensor counts closely. Smooth the table down everywhere outside of cruise. It's been a while since I looked at my spark map I ended up with (not posted in the thread), but here's some values:

36 all in by 2800 for full load
38 under cruise, but there's room for up to 42-44 I think
22ish at idle

aaron_sK

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran as high as 45* at cruise for the trip to cows '08. It did surge though, so I dialed it back.

I found the L98 really liked 24* at idle. That is all about cam and compression though. And transmission. Idle is not as important for an auto car. With a stick you need the engine to have some balls at around 800rpm so you can engage the clutch. An auto car has the advantage of torque multiplication at that point.

BTW, that one change to the idle timing made passing idle CO emissions in that car a LOT easier. Which is weird because usually the opposite is true. Shrug
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less timing helps emissions.

I run 28 at idle, 34 WOT, 41 cruise

A good modern combustion chamber and 32-34 is all you need. Smogger stuff should be as much as possible without detonation.

Jake, others touched on the important part. Research and figure out how to make all other tables (save hot temp) set to not affect the main table.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: