Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

which cam should i get

View previous topic :: View next topic  
91camaro_rs

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: which cam should i get Reply with quote

ok so im turning my LG4 motor into a TPI motor, im trying to figure out which cam to get.

some people on TGO recommended this one for somebody:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts.aspx?sku=SUM-K1104

but another guy said that that cam will only create power at high rpm's or something,

i want a cam that will give me a better idle sound but also give more power, since im going TPI should i get one that will make more low end torque/power

91camaro_rs

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another recommended one seems to be the comp cams xe268...has anyone here cammed a 305?
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K1103/:
This is the cam I have in my 355 right now, it made 270HP and 320TQ with the torque curve flat as a table. Over 300tq from 2000 to 6000. It would be too big for your smaller motor.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K1101/:
Since you have a smaller motor with a TPI intake, it'll be good to play your cam selection towards the strength of your motor, which is low end torque. I am of the opinion that both of those cams you are considering are a little too big for your 305. I'd try the K1101 cam I linked above. Don't worry about how dinky the specs look, the stock LG4 cam is even tinier. You don't want to go too big with a stock torque converter.

Stock LG4:

.350 lift intake
.385 lift exhaust

178* dur @.050 intake
194* dur @.050 exhaust

109* LSA

For those who don't trust Summit cams, I've been running them for over 4 years in my Camaro and never had a problem. Razz

Luke, your motor will probably make a little bit more power than a stock TPI 305 if you buy headers, do exhaust, (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9005/) and have the TPI with that K1101 cam above. Too bad it's not a roller motor so you could get better ramp up rates.

I'm sure you could get a better cam for more money, but I know you're on a budget, and it would be way better to afford to get the headers and exhaust than a better "name-brand" cam.

aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditta what Gabe said. Not worth running a cam rated past 4500 with a TPI. It's tapped out by then.

If you're going to change the cam, go ahead and get set up to tune custom chips. You'll also probably want to find a cam that can live at peace with the computer.
Leejo2005

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a XE-262H in my LG4. It seemed to kill my vacuum pretty good but it was noticably better than stock at the upper end. I think I may have had an intake leak though that could have been killing me this whole time.

My dad tells me it probably ran like crap at the bottom because of the already low compression of even a healthy LG4 and the longer duration of the cam I picked, turning it into a tractor motor. That, and possibly a leaky manifold.
izcain
9sec Club

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran comp 270H magnum cam in the 305 I put together a LONG time ago and it had a GREAT idle sounded awesome but there is no way it would run on your fuel injection setup it took some tuning with even the big ol double pumper I had on there!

I liked the peaky little motor it was a lot of fun I kinda miss it in a way.

1983 Z28 383 + 201ci more = New Heart for this season!
9.17 @ 148
91camaro_rs

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i should have added that i am putting TPI heads on the motor, and im definatly getting headers and i took the exhaust off of the blue parts cars, its all 3inch and in great shape with no holes. also are the Torque converters different for V6 and V8? cause my V6 tranny only has 17k miles on it, i had a shift kit, and the vette servo put in it, converter is new, so its all still pretty new, would puttin that newer converter on the V8 tranny work or no? Confused just a thought

would having TPI heads change what cam i can run?

91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The v6 tq converter is different then the v8.

Heads make ALL the difference, just as much or more then the cam profile.

You can put the vette servo on the v8 trans.
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TPI heads and LG4 heads are the same thing.
91camaro_rs

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did a search on TGO and i guess all of the 305 motors had the same heads, LG4, L69, LB9, LO3. i should have done research before posting Embarassed

so its the dished pistons that cause the lower compression then, hmmm idk if i want to take the motor that far apart to change pistons...

i think i will just get headers and a new cam/lifters

rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

91camaro_rs wrote:
i did a search on TGO and i guess all of the 305 motors had the same heads, LG4, L69, LB9, LO3. i should have done research before posting Embarassed

so its the dished pistons that cause the lower compression then, hmmm idk if i want to take the motor that far apart to change pistons...

LO3 heads are differant, stay away from those. Two differant LB9 heads, only differance being centerbold vs perimeter valve covers and the middle intake holes are at a differant angle. 416's and I think 081's are the LB9 heads. All LG4's are 416's
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcgee wrote:
91camaro_rs wrote:

LO3 heads are differant, stay away from those. Two differant LB9 heads, only differance being centerbold vs perimeter valve covers and the middle intake holes are at a differant angle. 416's and I think 081's are the LB9 heads. All LG4's are 416's

Cept mine! Wink 87 lg4s got the 081s and flat top pistons.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

91camaro_rs wrote:
also are the Torque converters different for V6 and V8? cause my V6 tranny only has 17k miles on it, i had a shift kit, and the vette servo put in it, converter is new, so its all still pretty new, would puttin that newer converter on the V8 tranny work or no?

Fixed bellhousing transmissions, Luke. Your 3.1L has a GM Metric 60* bell, your 305 has a normal smallblock bell. You will need a new trans, torque converter, and flexplate.

It might be worth taking the guts out of your old trans and throwing them in the new one, but while you have everything apart you may want to just sell the whole mess and look at a T5 swap. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:

If you're going to change the cam, go ahead and get set up to tune custom chips. You'll also probably want to find a cam that can live at peace with the computer.

If you want it to run nice from the get go, get an OEM replacement cam for that TPI motor your copying... L98 or LB9

Dv8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Question, Suggestion Reply with quote

Are you planning on going with a flat tappet cam or a roller cam???

Flat tappet... I highly recommend the Lunati 60101. its computer friendly and really wakes up the TPI. Considering everything chokes at 6000 rpm

Roller cam... I'd use a LT1 roller cam. you'll have to cut some of the front pin off or you can buy them on ebay with the pin already altered.

comp cams anything with a 268 or 270 grind.

remember if you go too big with the cam youll need to start changing torque converters and burning PROM chips, etc...etc..

54 chevy 5 window Truck ( in creation )
91camaro_rs

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think im gonna go with the summit cam that gabe recommended, and i already have a 700r4 for a v8...its still attached to the motor haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: