Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ls1 help

View previous topic :: View next topic  

should i attempt a ls1 swap? or should i build a fuel injected 383?
yes
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
no
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

IROC-stangs

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: ls1 help Reply with quote

was wondering if people that have done ls1 swaps in their thirdgens can chime in and help. im wanting to do a ls1 swap and want to see what eveyone went thru during their swap and if i should even attempt an ls1 swap or if a fuel injected motor is just as powerful, reliable, and drivable. also any good ls1 swap threads would help to. also was it all 01-02 f-bodys or just a few that recieved the ls6 heads. thanks.
d00012

2007 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard, the LS1 swap can be done as cheaply as any good SBC build. If you find a donor car, with low miles, engine/tranny/ecm/harness intact; would be even cheaper than some SBC builds. The power potential and aftermarket for the LS1 is very impressive, but so is the SBC. That's unfortunately all I really know.
IROC-stangs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d00012 wrote:
From what I've heard, the LS1 swap can be done as cheaply as any good SBC build. If you find a donor car, with low miles, engine/tranny/ecm/harness intact; would be even cheaper than some SBC builds. The power potential and aftermarket for the LS1 is very impressive, but so is the SBC. That's unfortunately all I really know.

ok thats good if it would be comparible in price thing is im just mostly worried that i cant do the wiring and such. i think all i could do is the basics- building engine, drop in engine, and install other needed things such as exhuast as long as they dont require modifications to the parts but wiring, welding and such i have no idea how to do same with tuning.
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're better off finding a 6.0 out of a truck than an LS1 specifically. There's a chance it'd be cheaper because people think the truck motors aren't as good. 345hp out of the box!

If you can't do wiring it just means you're going to pay someone else to do it for you. There are quite a few places out there that will do a plugin play harness for your (speartech, etc).

The initial cost is quite a bit more to get an LSx motor in your car but there is a ton of potential. The LSx is going to be more reliable than a genI SBC.

Couple of threads....

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ltx-lsx/511959-back-road-6-0l.html

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/952278-vvt-equipped-l92-into-my-89-trans-am-gta-pics.html

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1074409-my-3rd-gen-iroc-swap.html

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
IROC-stangs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
I think you're better off finding a 6.0 out of a truck than an LS1 specifically. There's a chance it'd be cheaper because people think the truck motors aren't as good. 345hp out of the box!

If you can't do wiring it just means you're going to pay someone else to do it for you. There are quite a few places out there that will do a plugin play harness for your (speartech, etc).

The initial cost is quite a bit more to get an LSx motor in your car but there is a ton of potential. The LSx is going to be more reliable than a genI SBC.

Couple of threads....

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ltx-lsx/511959-back-road-6-0l.html

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/952278-vvt-equipped-l92-into-my-89-trans-am-gta-pics.html

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1074409-my-3rd-gen-iroc-swap.html

thanks i'll check out the links in a bit. are the truck motors just as reliable/drivable as a ls1 engine? also with a truck motor is it more, less, or about equal work as installing a ls1 engine? thanks for your help. also i will be using ac/heater and all that extra stuff.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truck motor is the same dimension, sans the intake, but you'll want an LSx intake anyway. And everyone knows iron is more reliable than aluminumiumum. Razz
IROC-stangs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
Truck motor is the same dimension, sans the intake, but you'll want an LSx intake anyway. And everyone knows iron is more reliable than aluminumiumum. Razz

cool does the iron even weigh much more? just curious.
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truck motors take a bit more work because you have to car intake, car oil pan and car accessories unless you want to run a crazy cowl hood to fit the intake and a special spacers/adapters to fit the truck accessories.

The iron motors weigh about 80lbs more than the aluminum versions which is still lighter than your typical SBC because of the plastic intake and aluminum heads.

If you drop it in without a rebuild your probably going to find the truck motors were more beat on.

If you're wanting to use A/C and such you'll have to decide whether you want to use the 4thgen/truck compressor and notch the kmember/buy a tubular kmember and run custom made AC lines or use the thirdgen compressor on a custom bracket.

It's all the little things that add up. Very Happy Don't forget fuel system, gauges, transmission, etc.
IROC-stangs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
The truck motors take a bit more work because you have to car intake, car oil pan and car accessories unless you want to run a crazy cowl hood to fit the intake and a special spacers/adapters to fit the truck accessories.

The iron motors weigh about 80lbs more than the aluminum versions which is still lighter than your typical SBC because of the plastic intake and aluminum heads.

If you drop it in without a rebuild your probably going to find the truck motors were more beat on.

If you're wanting to use A/C and such you'll have to decide whether you want to use the 4thgen/truck compressor and notch the kmember/buy a tubular kmember and run custom made AC lines or use the thirdgen compressor on a custom bracket.

It's all the little things that add up. Very Happy Don't forget fuel system, gauges, transmission, etc.

thanks im worried that this is to much work for me to do though as i dont have anyone to help and we dont even have a shop class at my school. i wish i could just do a carbed 383 swap to make everything cleaned up and easy but i dont wanna strip the whole car out it has to much value to me. how much simplier do you think a 383 swap would be? i think i would have to go fi as it is more drivable it seems and i have to stay emissions legal.
91camaro_rs

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure you could get a carbed 383 to pass emissions, i am plannin on an LS1 swap once i can afford it haha, i met a guy in gig harbor that can get donor cars and motors and stuff cheap through his business, so hopefully he can hook me up
IROC-stangs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

91camaro_rs wrote:
im sure you could get a carbed 383 to pass emissions, i am plannin on an LS1 swap once i can afford it haha, i met a guy in gig harbor that can get donor cars and motors and stuff cheap through his business, so hopefully he can hook me up

thats cool thing is is an carb motor just as drivable as an fuel injected one if both are tuned right? i will probaly be daily driving it in high school and after that so thats why i mostly wanted a ls1 type engine or fuel injected. also say if i was to do 383 but before build the 305tpi i have now could most of the internals be used on the 383 or a 350? dam i need a job so i can finally get some mods Sad
townaj

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a carbed 383 and its perfectly driveable. Even with my huge cam. But 383's sure like to suck the gas, thats the only thing I don't like about mine. But I have been daily driving it to highschool since school started this year. Except for downtime due to the transmission problems.
IROC-stangs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

townaj wrote:
I have a carbed 383 and its perfectly driveable. Even with my huge cam. But 383's sure like to suck the gas, thats the only thing I don't like about mine. But I have been daily driving it to highschool since school started this year. Except for downtime due to the transmission problems.

thats good how much mpg does it get? would fuel injection be any better on gas? im almost wondering if i should run something like tpi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: