Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stumped on TBI idling problem
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Stumped on TBI idling problem Reply with quote

My car runs good enough to drive everyday, If you fire it up cold, let it warm up for 5-10 minutes and drive away its fine. If you shut it off for half an hour and fire it back up, its sluggish and has to go thru the warm-up period (or so it seems).
Ocaisional stalling, slight miss, tries to idle too low sometimes, runs good when all the way warm.

Could this be an Internal issue? Or does it sound more like maybe a TPS or IAC issue? Im ruling out the tune-up stuff for now since its all new, maybe Im overthinking? Suggestions?

'88 FORMULA
Boostd1
12sec Club

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey...

I would check your front 02 sensor, it could be that. I would look into replacing the 02 sensor, my car did the same thing. It would stall sometimes, it would idle all weird and a ton of other stuff. It drives fine for the first few minutes because your system is in open loop. 02 sensors have to warm up to operate correctly, hence when they are warm, your car switches to closed loop and doesn't run properly.

It probably feels sluggish because your AFR is WAY jacked up in closed loop due to a faulty 02 sensor.

Also, if you have replaced it recently, just check the connection. You may have tugged a wire during the header install or something.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would make sense, I have replaced it recently tho... Maybe coolant temp sensor? I don't wanna just start throwing parts at it, I may put a scan tool on it tomarrow and see if I find anything wierd.
Boostd1
12sec Club

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiveoformula wrote:
That would make sense, I have replaced it recently tho... Maybe coolant temp sensor? I don't wanna just start throwing parts at it, I may put a scan tool on it tomarrow and see if I find anything wierd.

A bad coolant sensor wouldn't cause random stalling I wouldn't think...

I would seriously check the connection on the 02 sensor, that's where my problem was...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would cause it to run wierd if the sensor is telling the computer its all the way warm when its cold tho... It could really be a million things, lol but ill check the 02.
Boostd1
12sec Club

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiveoformula wrote:
It would cause it to run wierd if the sensor is telling the computer its all the way warm when its cold tho... It could really be a million things, lol but ill check the 02.

Could be, but to me it sounds like an AFR problem.

blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might check your EGR valve. The controller on mine was haywire and would cause hard start situations when it was warm.
89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
Boostd1
12sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue89 wrote:
Might check your EGR valve. The controller on mine was haywire and would cause hard start situations when it was warm.

Could very well be that too...makes sense because he just installed headers.

Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was EGR I'd think it'd be crappy when warmed up too. Would be useful to check and make sure the EGR is sealing. If it's good, plug the EGR vacuum and go drive it.

O2 maybe, however since it's OBD I.... I'd get a scanner on it and see if it's happening in open loop or closed.

First indication is Coolant Temp Senser, Map Sensor, Fuel Pump, Dirty throttle body.

If you've got 150k on the car, you might do well to pick up a Walbro 255 fuel pump and install it. You'll have a fresh pump, and it will handle all the mods you ever throw at it.

fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had alot of problems with the EGR, I have it bypassed right now because when I plug it in it has a flat spot in the throttle, maybe Ill pop it off, clean it ans put in a new gasket...

As for recent parts I have installed;
02 Sensor
V power NGK's
Taylor wires
Fuel filter
cleaned K&N
MSD cap & rotor
Complete throttle body rebuild 2 days ago (made it a little better)
Re-man stock injectors
EGR solenoid

Last edited by fiveoformula on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:

If you've got 150k on the car, you might do well to pick up a Walbro 255 fuel pump and install it. You'll have a fresh pump, and it will handle all the mods you ever throw at it.

Do the Fuel Pumps just gradually go bad? As far as I know, its got the stocker in it, and yes it has just under 150K
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boostd1 wrote:
blue89 wrote:

On these motors the EGR is actually on the intake manifold rather than exhaust. Wink
Boostd1
12sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiveoformula wrote:
Boostd1 wrote:
blue89 wrote:

On these motors the EGR is actually on the intake manifold rather than exhaust. Wink

Then what the hell is this lol

chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked on alot of tbi trucks. They can get that flatspot due to the egr too. Easiest way to get rid of it, is by using an aftermarket egr valve. There are actually 3 different types of egr valves. All differ in the way they open. Most aftermarket ones are positive pressure valves, whereas the stockers are usually negative. This should be engraved in the top of the stock valve. The positive valve requires exhaust pressure to exist before it will open. The negative does not. This means a positive valve will not open early, even if there is vacuum to the pod.
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the AIR injection tube. All EGR passages are in the intake on a v/8 of this vintage.. unless you own a vette.
Boostd1
12sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
That is the AIR injection tube. All EGR passages are in the intake on a v/8 of this vintage.. unless you own a vette.

That's a weird design...does it help with gas mileage? What is its purpose.

fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:

What he said Marc! lol
On alot of older GM's theres a belt driven pump that pumps air into the exhaust via those ugly tubes....

It helps a little bit with emissions...
fiveoformula

1988 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
Worked on alot of tbi trucks. They can get that flatspot due to the egr too. Easiest way to get rid of it, is by using an aftermarket egr valve. There are actually 3 different types of egr valves. All differ in the way they open. Most aftermarket ones are positive pressure valves, whereas the stockers are usually negative. This should be engraved in the top of the stock valve. The positive valve requires exhaust pressure to exist before it will open. The negative does not. This means a positive valve will not open early, even if there is vacuum to the pod.

The EGR I have on there now looks to be aftermarket, Ill have to doublecheck to see if it says positive/negitive on it, but I don't remember it saying anything...
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purpose was to burn off the unburned hydrocarbons as they came out of the exhaust port. There's usually a line that goes to the cat as well.
Boostd1
12sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiveoformula wrote:
chevymad wrote:

What he said Marc! lol
On alot of older GM's theres a belt driven pump that pumps air into the exhaust via those ugly tubes....

It helps a little bit with emissions...

Sounds like something GM would do lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: