Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

let's talk more HD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
'92 camaro boss

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: let's talk more HD Reply with quote

Ok, so i just bought a sharp aquos tv, i looked on the box and it say's it has the resolution of a normal 720p tv.. but it doesn't actually show 720 on the box, so i plugged in the xbox and i flip to the output and it say's 480.. so i go on the xbox and change it to 720p...i didn't notice any real difference in the picture, but i did notice on the tv it said 720p.. did i actually change it? also when i play the games it looks amazing, why is it my dish picture went down hill.. alot.. it looks like i'm watching tv in the 70's all pixel-y and faded looking.. any insite on that?

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your Tv say's it's in 720p it probably is. I have a Samsung LN40550A 40" lcd and i have my xbox hooked up via HDMI and my xbox says 1080p and my tv also says 1080p. As for your dish, do you have a Dish Hd receiver?
'92 camaro boss

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright thank's on the info about the xbox
but as for the satalite, the picture quality went down quite a bit for just switcing tvs.. and it's not an hd box...if it were hd i'd be really mad haha
chevymad
Master B

1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much larger is the new tv? Remember without an HD satellite box, enlarging the tv just enlarges the pixels the box puts out.
JohnnyIROC-Z

1995 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
How much larger is the new tv? Remember without an HD satellite box, enlarging the tv just enlarges the pixels the box puts out.

DING DING DING,

If you're not watching a program in HD it's going to look worse on large screen HD tv because of the size of the pixels. Get yourself the HD set top box and you will notice a difference when you watch HD programming.
'92 camaro boss

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i switched from a 27 inch to a 32, but i was looking at the old tv today and it has hd plug in's... but it doesn't say hd anywhere on it.. i picked it up years ago on clerance and it didn't come with a box or remote , does that mean it's actually hd?
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get agood picture with the xBox you need to get the xBox component video cables or it will look like crap.
JohnnyIROC-Z

1995 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'92 camaro boss wrote:
yea i switched from a 27 inch to a 32, but i was looking at the old tv today and it has hd plug in's... but it doesn't say hd anywhere on it.. i picked it up years ago on clerance and it didn't come with a box or remote , does that mean it's actually hd?

There is really no "HD" connection. Barring HDMI of course. Most all TV's have RGB connections (Component) and SVIDEO and Yellow White Red. RGB is the superior on a non HD TV. the best connection on HD tv is HDMI. It carries both video and audio so means less cords. On the 360, unless you have HDMI out the best way would be the HD RGB connections to your TV.
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyIROC-Z wrote:

There is really no "HD" connection. Barring HDMI of course. Most all TV's have RGB connections (Component) and SVIDEO and Yellow White Red. RGB is the superior on a non HD TV. the best connection on HD tv is HDMI. It carries both video and audio so means less cords. On the 360, unless you have HDMI out the best way would be the HD RGB connections to your TV.

No connection other than HDMI is HD. All the others simply separate the color out from the audio but it is all still RF (480x320?). Coax is RF+audio, Yellow/Red/White is a separate RF video with separate stereo audio, RGBRW is a separate wire for each color (similar to S-video but they are all separated).

89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coax can transfer HD content. Any over-the-air or QAM signal from cable providers is transfered over coax. I would assume that RGB can also transfer it. HDMI is by no means the only way to get a HD signal, DVI, vga and coax can all do it for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true, but television sets are not setup to accept an HD signal through their coaxial connector. The cable itself has enough bandwidth to run it as do many other types.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beg to differ. It depends on the TV, my TV has a digital coax, and an anolog coax, and the digital coax will display HD content. How do you think people get over-the-air HD? How mnay antena's have you seen that have HDMI connections?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed John. Folks got an HD tv with no digital cable box. Just Coax from the wall and are able to pick up 1080 signals from the broadcast networks.

To get the widescreen effect and best picture from your xBox you need the component (RGB) cables. The new "elite" xbox 360s have HDMI capabilities, but everyone elses like mine... come with Yellow/Red/White audio/video cables. You gotta go buy the Component set from a store that sells consoles.

'92 camaro boss

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the blue green and whatever other color wires mean nothing? and that switch that say's hd/tv on it doesn't do anything?

gameplay between the ps3 and 360 right now the 360 picture's alot more clear. are all hdmi cable's the same? i was looking and i've seen some for $30 and i've seen the one's straight from sony that cost $80, i guess i need a set for both systems?
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'92 camaro boss wrote:
so the blue green and whatever other color wires mean nothing? and that switch that say's hd/tv on it doesn't do anything?

gameplay between the ps3 and 360 right now the 360 picture's alot more clear. are all hdmi cable's the same? i was looking and i've seen some for $30 and i've seen the one's straight from sony that cost $80, i guess i need a set for both systems?

If you're hooking your console straight to the TV.... you need cables for each component. As for the xbox it sounds like you have the component (blue green red) cables already. Yes flip that switch to HD/TV. Then there may be a setting in the dashboard of the 360 but it's been a while I don't remember. Configure your tv for 16x9 and you're set.

No idea on the PS3.

We bought a 35$ HDMI cable for our DVD and it looks just fine.

blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey316 wrote:
I beg to differ. It depends on the TV, my TV has a digital coax, and an anolog coax, and the digital coax will display HD content. How do you think people get over-the-air HD? How mnay antena's have you seen that have HDMI connections?

Guess I'm behind the times then. Embarassed Sorry about that.
JohnnyIROC-Z

1995 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD content can be carried over most means of connections, Coaxial from the cable company can carry HD content, All signals coming from an outside source (Cable, Antenna, Satellite) Come into the house through a Coax connection. What I was referring to is HDMI is only going to be found on the Newer Mainly (only?) HD tv's due to it's superior transfer capabilities. DVI, Digital coax, et al, can all carry the HD signal but it's better on HDMI than anything else, Plus HDMI carries your audio signal as well. Of course the fiber optic audio connections are the best. I personally have a 52" LG 1080 television and anything broadcast in HD looks awesome. It's things that are NOT broadcast in HD that look like crap. IE Very pixelated and dimmer colors.

Personally, I have HD cable box (not all are HD, my provider makes you pay to get the HD box) hooked to my TV with HDMI and I have digital audio out to my surround sound so I can hear it in true dolby 5.1 (assuming it's broadcast as such).

As far as HDMI cables I have a $40 one and it looks fine, the more expensive ones are gold plated and such which help with signal transfer and less degradation also less ingress and egress of other signals (better shielding)
'92 camaro boss

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i went shopping today and talked to a manager at best buy and i was talking about getting a sony cable and he said that the one's made by game system's usually don't give you the full potential of your system and tried selling me an $80 cable, i told him i was really looking to spend no more than 50, and he knocked it down to 53 bucks, so i ended up getting a good deal on a rocket fish cable.. i guess it's made by monster for best buy is what they told me. it's a 10.2 gbps cable and i guess that's the best one out? reguardless i was a sceptic about this whole thing that's why i asked about it, but it's really a day and night difference with the picture.. just beat mgs4 and the picture was amazing..
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does PS3 hook up with a straight HDMI cable? No special connection at the console like the 360?
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
Does PS3 hook up with a straight HDMI cable? No special connection at the console like the 360?

It has an HDMI port on the back along with the old school low res connector.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: