Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home brew

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richster
Magic Fingers

1983 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Home brew Reply with quote

Say blue89 home brew is still the best! I'm here in the miro brew capitol of the world, but nothing beats a sweet glass of home brew! Ship a case on down to me! i'll cover the freight! Oh the car has 85,000 on it! In regards to the old school pics I have a very good scanner / computer / and my other hobby is digital photography, i do lots of work on the side for friends...they just pay with beer! LOL...

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I've had with shipping beer is getting it secure enough to ship! I've thought about using expanding foam and plastic bags but the cost to get it all going has always been prohibitive. I have a box perfect for two bottles, if I get it going I just may send it to some lucky winner.

-------

FYI, a few of us brew here on the boards!

89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
Richster
Magic Fingers

1983 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Home brew Reply with quote

A good double wall box, foam and tape...good to go! i will look around my warehouse, i have boxes that we ship coffee mugs in, and those things are incredibly tough! How long have you been a brewer? i've thought about dabbling and then end up at the store!

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been brewing for 3 years now. Last year I brewed 168 gallons of beer. Lmao. I did do two weddings though and 40 gallons for an OctoberFest deal. I'm using a modified Anheiser kegs (aquired legally...) for a 10 gallon batch setup, though I could do 15 gallon, it's just messy. They guy I brew with and I have a beer review site if you want to check it out.

www.brewmunkey.blogspot.com
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richster, I'm in Gresham, and myself and Techerb (on this board) brew together. You are welcome to come over and try some, and also hang out on a brew day with us, if you would like. Seeing what is involved, might clue you in as to if you are interested or not.

--John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TecherB
Princess B

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we plan to brew our next batch or 2 on wed. whitch reminds me dewey do I need our next recipe so i can pick up the stuff on tuesday
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart, I'll work something up. We are doing at least one batch of vanilla porter. Do you want to do 2 batches of it, or do you want to do something else? Let me know, If it is one we have already done, I'll just e-mail you the list from BeerTools again. If you want to do something new, PM me, and we can figure out a time for you to come over, and work out a recipt on the computer, or to get your laptop installed with BTP.

--John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanilla Porter? I'm brewing my own porter here soon, I already have everything to do it. They didn't have cascade hops so I'm experimenting with Zues. This recipe we've made uses 8oz of hops altogether. I'd be interested to see what your Vanilla Porter consists of!
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8oz of hops in a porter... I hope you have a HUGE OG, or they are all really late hop additions.

We just did an IPA, that had 5 oz of hops, and I thought that was a lot! But we also used some hops that were 11% AA for 90 minute boil, so the IBU's ends up in a upper 60's.

I'll post the v-porter recipt for you when I get it made. You all-grain or extract?
Richster
Magic Fingers

1983 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: I'm There! Reply with quote

Thanks for the invite, i sent a pm to you, so let me know...Wow I really appreciate the offer, even better your in Gresham! I have several brewhouses as customers, most are cali & arizona, but right here in dodge is the capitol! I look forward to hearing from you!

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours is called the IPArter. Standard'ish IPA hop schedule on a porter. Lots of late additions. 60, 10, 5, 0 I think. I'll post it later when I get home. I do 10 gallon all grain batches.

I really hope to get a pump here soon so I can incorporate my sudo-RIMS idea. Do bottom up mash temps! I have a 120Vac digital temp controller I'm going to use to control a coffee heating element. Suck it from the bottom and dump it up top. Then I can do proper mash-outs and enzyme/protein rests instead of the "dump and pray" method of setting strike temps to grain/ambient temps.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to do protien rests, and stuff with a stepped mash schedule. If you are using BeerTools, or ProMash, they should both do it. You just need to do a decoction mashing schedule. They made beer that way for thousands of years. It still works. Wink

Ok, I'll post up a 10gal recipt of it for you, I'll just let BTP do its converstion magic.

Ohh, which software do you use? If you use BTP, I can also just e-mail you the file.

--John
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue, what sort of effeciency do you get? I'll adjust it for you, when I upconvert to 10gals.

--john
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decoction mash works just fine but I don't want the extra steps and pots cluttering about. My way I'll be able to just set the temp I want and walk away. Plus I'll make sure to get a consistent temperature throughout the mash without worrying about the cold spots or stratusfication I'm noticing now.

No programs for me and no math or conversions. I think I calculated efficiency once before and it was typical. Haven't really worried about it lately. Last night I didn't even get my SG Rolling Eyes I've done this recipie a bunch and I nailed my temps so I'm not worried too much about it. It'll be good beer Wink
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I have so far. I am not sure how exactly you are doing your mash schedule. So you might need to modify a little bit. I just used their default single infusion schedule. Obviosly the temp you hit, will adjust the flavor, etc. Let me know what you think.

Vanilla Porter

Size: 5.1 gal
Efficiency: 70.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 183.23 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.055 (1.048 - 1.065)
|==============#=================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.012 - 1.016)
|===============#================|
Color: 28.1 (22.0 - 35.0)
|===============#================|
Alcohol: 5.41% (4.8% - 6.0%)
|================#===============|
Bitterness: 28.27 (25.0 - 50.0)
|==========#=====================|

Ingredients:
8.5 lbs American 2-row
0.5 lbs Caramel Malt 40L
1.25 lbs Caramel Malt 90L
0.87 lbs Chocolate Malt
0.25 lbs Roasted Barley
0.25 lbs Barley Flaked
4.0 oz Lactose
2.0 oz Vanilla (extract) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 min
2.0 oz Vanilla (extract) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
0.0 ea WYeast 1056 American Ale

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:33:00 Mash In - Liquor: 3.63 gal; Strike: 162.3 °F; Target: 150.0 °F
01:33:00 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 60.0 min; Final: 145.0 °F
01:43:00 Mash Out - Heat: 10.0 min; Target: 168.0 °F
02:28:00 Sparge - Sparge: 3.29 gal sparge @ 170.0 °F, 5.56 gal collected, 45.0 min; Total Runoff: 5.7 gal

Notes:
Add Lactose with last hop addition (10 minutes)
Add 2.0 oz of vanilla @ 1 minute (just prior to flame out)
Add remaining 2.0 oz of vanilla when bottling. I like to just add then when I add the priming sugar.

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.29
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No feedback Travis? Also, that is a pretty big porter, if you want it lighter, just drop the ammount of 2-row for lower gravity, and ABV. If you want less sweetness drop the C-90 a little. And of course, you can adjust it by mash temps. I would say you could go with as little as 7lbs of 2-row, if you can hit 75% effeciency with 7lbs, it should still be a good light porter.

I'll let you know how it goes brewing it on Wed. I of course can't give you any taste feedback for about 6 weeks.

--John
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry john, i was busy at work towards the tail end of friday and I forgot to bring my book in with my porter recipe. I'll be brewing wed too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: