Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sledding Again... first impressions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Sledding Again... first impressions Reply with quote

Hey Crewbies!

An update on my ride.

Short version: New syncros, shifts great. New exhaust, sounds great at idle and nice and quiet at cruise.

Long version: Some of you know that I have been having problems with the TKO not shifting well at higher RPM. Even when I had my 11 sec pass I had to shift slow and deliverate. I have had the transmission rebuilt, ensured that the bell housing was dialed in to spec (actually had to have longer dowel pins put in) but still had trouble. Scott at Garage Motorsports (where Paul works) did a little research and it appears that I am not the only one that has this problem with the early version TKO's at high RPM. He found a company that has made prototype synchros and they were looking for people to try them out. Scott put a 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear synchros in my tranny. They have an added friction material on the inside to provide more grip. Tonight was the first time I was able to drive it and so far so good. I had a few 6k+ RPM shifts into 2nd and it was all goodness. Shifts into third and fourth were good as well. The transmission feels very firm and shifts are positive (the good ol' snick, snick, snick as you go into gear).

At the same time Paul was kind enough to build me a new exhaust setup. Basically I went from the dual 3" setup to dual 2.5". He used all mandrel bends. I have a resonator on each side inline and a borla turbo muffler on each side as well. Paul did such an awesome job. I have all of my ground clearance back as my transmission cross-member is the lowest point under my car, no more crossover pipe wedged between my oil pan and K member, no more clamps in the back that slip off and cause noise and exhaust leaks. Paul fabbed up a few different hangers along the length of the intermediate pipes that allows install by one person very easily. Other mods included an extension to my pass side header collector so that all three collector bolts are easy to access. So we got her fired up tonight. The idle is a bit subdued from the prior setup but still deep and loud - no mistaking that something is going on under the hood. The awesomness is at cruise. Paul and I were having a normal level conversation, at cruise, with the tops off. Not really possible even with the tops on before! So far I am very happy with the change. Sorry to go on and on but I am a happy boy. Paul took some pics so maybe he will post them up at some point.

The down side is that several people feel I will lose quite a bit of power by reducing the exhaust size (some are even happy about that Wink). Time will tell. I am willing to give up a few ponies at the top for the drivability factors that I just gained. I am a bit concerned as I got blown away by a turbo beetle at freeway speeds on the way home.*

End novel.

-Schultzy

*Not!

12.73 @ 109.39, 1.793 60 \ 11.794 @ 121.16, 1.62 60 (old combo)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of the naysayers as far as losing power is concerned...

I think you'll be just dandy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might gain some power by going dual 2.5". What is the improvement with new syncro's? Are the gears cut different?
89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gears are all the same. The original synchros are all brass. The new ones have bits of friction material, carbon/kevlar or something, along the inside. Looks like it would work a bit more clutch-like. Apparently the theory is that the solid brass just doesn't have enough grip at the higher rpm.

Time will tell. I am supposed to abuse the transmission and provide feedback. This I can do!

-Schultzy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jakemk8706

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have longtube headers or shorties???
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he has shorties.

nice mike, very nice.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gain some torque in the bottom end, lose some top end HP.

Yall gotta remember this is a N/A 400RWHP 6000RPM 383 here. This is the motor that's going to start to utilize dual 3". Especially on a long piped setup like an F-body with side route duals. I forget the phrase right now but air builds up around the walls and the farther down the pipe you go, the thicker that build up becomes. So your effectice pipe diameter becomes smaller the father down. That's why I went 3" originally. 2.5" would be fine and ideal actually if the exhaust routing wasn't so long.

I guarantee atleast a 15HP drop on the top end on the dyno.
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
Gain some torque in the bottom end, lose some top end HP.

Yall gotta remember this is a N/A 400RWHP 6000RPM 383 here. This is the motor that's going to start to utilize dual 3". Especially on a long piped setup like an F-body with side route duals. I forget the phrase right now but air builds up around the walls and the farther down the pipe you go, the thicker that build up becomes. So your effectice pipe diameter becomes smaller the father down. That's why I went 3" originally. 2.5" would be fine and ideal actually if the exhaust routing wasn't so long.

I guarantee atleast a 15HP drop on the top end on the dyno.

umm, backpressure?
Shocked

My 3" Y pipe setup is good for 500rwhp after the modifications I had done to it (more for rasp than anything, but the merge makes a huge difference)

a 2.5" dual would flow better up to about 600hp but a 3" would be overkill even if I do heads, and I'm revving right up to about 6700rpm on my current lifters (that may change, heh)

If he loses anything, it should be minimal, though my experience and others similar with an LS1 are running long tubes, not shorties, so that may make some difference, though I can't imagine much more other than the scavenging effects...

I am, however, really curious to see the results of the change in exhaust.
Have to admit though... if I were to do duals myself, I'd want a pair of electric cut outs behind the doors, regardless of the size, and keep the duals fairly tame in comparrison.
But thats me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TecherB
Princess B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to hear it is up and running. i know you are all about drive abilty you still have ac
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
Especially on a long piped setup like an F-body with side route duals. I forget the phrase right now but air builds up around the walls and the farther down the pipe you go, the thicker that build up becomes. So your effectice pipe diameter becomes smaller the father down.

And THAT is why i want to do a "before the rear tire" side dump on the six. you think a 600HP 383 or your 355 is chocked by long exhaust. i have a 173... Sad
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron there are too many variables to just say this pipe is good for this hp period. How's this for an example....

3" Y pipe with Cutout@Cat spot....
Dual 3" with Mufflers full length....

Ran the exact same time in the 1/4. Same MPH same ET. On my motor, repeatedly. That 3" Y-Pipe with cutout should be similar to a full length 2.5" dual setup.
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something to be said for the excitement of making your car that much more fun (fun = enjoyable) to drive. It's almost tedious and annoying to cruise a car that just isn't exactly what you want it to be. Nice job on the setup.

Honestly, I didn't really like the noise it made before. It was cool, but not my cup o' tea. I'm looking forward to hearing the current growl. Smile

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, I did a side dump. Was never happy with it. For starters, my car is really low so I always scraped the tip and glasspack. Secondly, the butt dyno did not show any gain at all. Plus it was always super loud on the right side. I'd just get headers and then do a single 2.5" out. Thats my current setup (minus headers).
89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was not so much looking for power, this is my millage car. in addition to making the engine more efficient it will cut some big weight out of the exhaust. i have a flowmaster 40 that is only about 3.5" tall, and my cars not that low.

it's something i am interested in trying. but in all honesty it may never happen.
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i still have my setup in the garage I'll send it to you. All you have to do is cut the y-pipe where its straight and points back. Then attach a cherry bomb and a tip. Fits like a champ except the tip pokes down.
89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you made a true "y"pipe that bolts to the v6 exhaust manifolds? i would be down for that for sure. are you going to make mangus's up north gathering? perhaps someone could cart it down to Portland for me?
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry you've gone through so much trouble with that transmission. I promise that it was brand spankin' new! Wink

The 2.5 inch dual exhaust will probably work better with your engine. The 3" duals were too much. Your average power during acceleration will probably increase.

So.... what's this problem with VW beetles??? Razz
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's awesome! Glad to hear you've gone sleddin again!

~JAKE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: