Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel injector cleaner
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Fuel injector cleaner Reply with quote

So I've run my tank down and I'm thinking of adding some fuel injector cleaner. Do you guys have any suggestions? With 220kmiles on the motor, I bet it could use some sort of cleaning. Not to mention its hesitating from a low rpm WOT condition.

So which one seems to be the best one to get?

89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones I always hear are the best are the Chevron stuff and the Lucas. And the lucas is cheap! $2-3 a bottle.

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always B12 Chem Tool.

--John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lucas oil cleaner seems to do well... but honestly, with that many miles on the car, I would look into doing seafoam treatment ....

Regular

Deep Creep

All it does is clean out the crap, carbon buildup, blockage, dirt, grime, etc ... even with only 22k on my SS I'm tempted to do it...

You need:
2 can regular seafoam
1 can deep creep
flathead
pliers
funnel (skinny)

on a completely FULL tank (yes, full), use the funnel (the can is shaped oddly, unfortunately) and pour the entire can into the tank, then take it for a drive to mix everything around... don't fill up till you've run the tank down or you'll dilute the potency

This is just for the injector cleaning.

with that many miles, you may as well just go all out... and clean the oil system along with it.

On your current oil (hopefully it's not brand new if you do this), take the second can of seafoam and add it directly into your oil (like you would by adding a quart)... 1.5oz seafoam per quart of oil... so basically, just add half a can and call it good. Do this when the car is cold, otherwise you could kill your valvesprings by introducing a room temp item to a 200+degree engine. The nature of seafoam is pretty aggressive, so you'll want to change your oil after about 100-150 miles because your oil filter is going to HATE you. So will the oil. It's like a deep cleansing and your car will love you.

And hey... while you're at it... go for the top end cleansing as well!
since you have half a can of seafoam left, you can use it to clean out your cylinder banks, and you can add it directly into the engine via brake booster vacuum line.

Start your car, wait for the car to warm up until it hits regular operating temperatures, after its warm, shut it off and pull the booster line. How you do it is up to you (pliers/flathead) ... find a small funnel to put into the end of the hose, because you want to be able to control how much you are adding into the system, and you can stall it out before you want to

with the hose off, and funnel in the hose, re-start the car, and your rpms should be a bit higher (obviously, you have a vacuum hose off).

you have half a can of seafoam left (8 ounces). you should, in your head, divide that into three equal parts. you're going to want to SLOWLY pour the first two thirds of the seafoam left in the can into the engine via the funnel. the engine will start to sputter and choke as you pour in the seafoam. you DO NOT want your engine to stall out. go as slowly as possible pouring the seafoam into the engine as necessary so the engine does not die. do this for the first two thirds of the mixture. with the final third of the seafoam, quickly dump it down into the funnel. the idea here is to stall out the motor, suspending the remaining gulp of seafoam in the cylinder banks (don't be alarmed if your engine bay is smoking the entire time this is happening). if your car does not stall, quickly run and turn off the key.

Don't start the car again for 15-20 minutes, you want it to soak as much as possible... now go grab that bottle of Deep Creep...

since your engine is off, you may as well clean the rest before you go starting everything up again... disconnect the hose to the TB, and find a way to keep your throttle blade open (brick on the gas pedal haha)... spray the piss out of it, soak the blades, bottom, top, into the intake manifold, etc ... don't flood it, but don't be a pussy either.

re connect everything, the TB hose, brake booster line, and anything you may have pulled apart.

after 15-20 minutes have passed, time to restart your car, and it'll be a challenge ... you've got a ton of crap into the engine at the moment. Once it's started, let it idle for 10-15 minutes, it's going to smoke like a chimney for awhile... if it doesn't, tap the gas pedal a bit for the RPMs to go up slightly (1500 max) ... less smoke = less dirty. After your 10-15 minutes of idling, you need to go for quite the spirited drive, rev the piss out of it in your drive to get all that lovely seafoam into every last place possible in your engine, so burn outs, running through the gears and shifting as late as possible, etc are all perfectly acceptable... the only worry you'll have is cops and a fair amount of nasty smoke following you around for a bit.

Since I have never done the process myself, I'm really curious to see how well it works for somebody with that many miles...

My opinion after typing this out though... Fill up your oil with the half can of seafoam FIRST so it heats up on the drive with the oil, then go fill your gas tank and add the full amount of seafoam into your car, and you'll be at operating temps throughout for the rest of it (so after you go for a drive to get back home from getting gas, it'll be mixed in, and you won't have to wait to do the top end portion)

Of course you need to have the seafoam, so if you don't, you kind of have to end up doing it ass backwards... which is why it's posted the way it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
The ones I always hear are the best are the Chevron stuff and the Lucas. And the lucas is cheap! $2-3 a bottle.
you have, available to you at the dealership... something far more potent... I forget what it's called but I was given a few cans of it... worked out nicely on an older car too... lol

next week when I have the time, I want to do the seafoam treatment to selma's car... its old, it needs it, haha
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing the seafoam up. I'll see if I can try it out this weekend. Might be a good thing on my truck too, since I had water in my oil due to a bad intake manifold gasket.

So you put seafoam in the gas, oil, and then injest a bunch in the intake?

89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just take it step by step... if you have two cars, go pick some up in the car you're not doing it to ...when you get back, do the oil seafoaming first because its cold, then take that car for a spin to get some gas, put it in the tank, drive it around a bit and back home, then do the brake booster and then the deep creep into the TB/etc

after it's sat for awhile, go for a blast... look up the seafoam videos on youtube, they're things of greatness...

if you drive a decent amount after doing your oil, you can rack up 100+ miles pretty quick, so you might want to consider getting a new fuel filter and oil/oil filter while you're out as well... just my thoughts anyway
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do that as well. Sounds like its time. I forgot how many miles were on the chassis, but I bet its up there too.

Think the seafoam will dry out the water in the oil in my truck too? That would be awesome if it could.
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the seafoam on my old v6 for removing carbon build up. Never ran it thru the gas.

I normally just get a big bottle of 90% rubbing alcohol and dump that in.
blue89

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would alcohol work to desolve hard deposits? I know that seafoam is some pretty volatile stuff.

It would be cool to get something to pressurize and atomize the seafoam so it will get everywhere in the intake. Like run it through your window washer pump and spray it into the intake.
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue89 wrote:
I'll do that as well. Sounds like its time. I forgot how many miles were on the chassis, but I bet its up there too.

Think the seafoam will dry out the water in the oil in my truck too? That would be awesome if it could.
well, it'll clear anything up, but after running seafoam through your oil, the most you'd ever want to run it is maybe 200 miles... then you'd have to more or less drain, chang filter and refill, like you said it's pretty volatile... and like adding any additives to your oil, its going to thicken up... but after running seafoam through it you shouldn't have any problems once you change out your fluid
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue89 wrote:
Would alcohol work to desolve hard deposits? I know that seafoam is some pretty volatile stuff.

It would be cool to get something to pressurize and atomize the seafoam so it will get everywhere in the intake. Like run it through your window washer pump and spray it into the intake.
trust me, thats what the deep creep and top end seafoaming are for... the deep creep is in aerosol form, the regular is just a liquid for you to dump in.

thinking about doing it next week on both cars... but living downtown has its disadvantages so I might have to do the top end stuff alongside the highway and just blast it out before i go home Surprised
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demon wrote:
iansane wrote:
you have, available to you at the dealership... something far more potent... I forget what it's called but I was given a few cans of it... worked out nicely on an older car too... lol

next week when I have the time, I want to do the seafoam treatment to selma's car... its old, it needs it, haha

That's just seafoam I think...
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
Demon wrote:
iansane wrote:

That's just seafoam I think...
no its something else, its a GM made product I'm sure of it... or at least is made for GM specifically
alloy
T56 Elitist

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top 3 cleaners are Seafoam, Berryman's, and Chevron. Read that in a counterman's guide at my old job. STP which we sold a ton of wasn't even on the list.

And, I'd highly recomend running nothing but chevron gas. My kid drives tanker, and after listening to him, I NEVER put anything but chevron in my tank. There is a noticable difference in how my car runs with the chevron fuel. I didn't believe it at first, ran a few tanks of chevron, then one tank of arco. I felt like draining the arco stuff out there was so much difference after getting used to the good fuel. Couldn't wait to get some good fuel back in the car.
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alloy wrote:
The top 3 cleaners are Seafoam, Berryman's, and Chevron. Read that in a counterman's guide at my old job. STP which we sold a ton of wasn't even on the list.

And, I'd highly recomend running nothing but chevron gas. My kid drives tanker, and after listening to him, I NEVER put anything but chevron in my tank. There is a noticable difference in how my car runs with the chevron fuel. I didn't believe it at first, ran a few tanks of chevron, then one tank of arco. I felt like draining the arco stuff out there was so much difference after getting used to the good fuel. Couldn't wait to get some good fuel back in the car.

I wouldn't even run Arco in my damn old Beretta... much less anything performance oriented...

I go between Chevron and Costco gas, maybe the occasionally Shell if it's closer... but it seems that a handful of Chevrons even beat out the Costco prices of gas, so I just go to them instead... but the costco membership has paid off alone in gas savings Surprised
DBL_TKE

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard great things about chevron gas too. BTW, shouldn't you change your plugs after you do an injector cleaner? All the carbon and crap that may be in the bottom of your fuel tank and lines are probably going to foul out your plugs, no?
Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBL_TKE wrote:
I've heard great things about chevron gas too. BTW, shouldn't you change your plugs after you do an injector cleaner? All the carbon and crap that may be in the bottom of your fuel tank and lines are probably going to foul out your plugs, no?
depends on your plugs... most of the stuff in the fuel tank and lines will be filtered anyway, so its a good idea to do the filter at least after the entire tank of gas is gone through...

yes, your plugs may get slightly dirty from doing the rest of it though, but they won't foul out... the way I see it, especially with the seafoam, if you need to change your plugs afterwards, they were likely already on their way out anyway.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any mechanic out there have an opinion on the Motorvac's?
91RSVert

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demon wrote:

thinking about doing it next week on both cars... but living downtown has its disadvantages so I might have to do the top end stuff alongside the highway and just blast it out before i go home Surprised

I now have uncle buck plastered in my head after that Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: