Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I know Im post Whoring, but I missed ya'll
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
STEEL

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: I know Im post Whoring, but I missed ya'll Reply with quote

Well, after some careful consideration, I have determined I need a second job, and I think I may need to sell my second camaro.

Well, on thanksgiving, I went out to the garage to install my fog lights. This went remarkably well, and they installed nice. (Linked them into the parking lights so I didnt have to run another switch)

As I stood looking at what a good job I had done, and being amazed by how easy it had all gone in, I noticed that the front passenger side tire was down to the threads. I cussed loudly, because I had JUST FINALLY gotten together enough money to get my block to the machinist. I looked at the rears, and they were also down to nothing.

After Military discount and everything, it still came to $450 for my tires. (The wheels I had laying around)

On the way to get the new tires, my hood solenoid went out, disabling my ram air. I looked into a few ways of doing it, and finally decided that I would just use a door lock solenoid, (see the TGO thread here)

So, at this point, it will be a while before the black camaro is ready to go, so I just decided to forget it and put my nine bolt posi into the blue car and when the time comes, find another one for the black car once I had the stroker.

I got to comment, the rear end went in REALLY well. (That was the most severe mechanical undertaking I have ever attempted without my dad's help, and I did the entire thing in one night.)

The following day, I am driving to church, and wouldnt you know, I get pulled over. This is the first time I have ever been pulled over by a female officer, and she went easy on me by only writing 10 over instead of the 24 over I was actualy doing. Even still, it will be $200 for the lawer, because I already have a deferred ticket that I dont want to come back.

Now, my $1600 is down to less than $900. Its taken me 3 months to get from 1k up to the point where I could buy this engine, and now Im back to the same place. Im so frustrated! It doesnt help that pizza hut is screwing me for hours. (I dont know if any of you guys know anything I can do online or w/e to earn cash, that would be awesome) but I think im just going to go back to one camaro, and plan on putting the stroker in the blue car. I love the 91, its my baby, and the big reason I bought the black one was a lack of confidence in myself as far as converting to carb, and installing an engine. Now, I feel I can do this.

I have also been wondering if I am going about this stroker wrong. The block I have is so rusted and nasty, which would be ok, if I take it to a professional, he can clean it up no problem. I am wondering if I could go get a running 350 block (That way it isnt so nasty), and then stroke it myself. I mean, I have never attempted anything along these lines. I dont know how hard balancing will be, I dont know what Head work Bud would have done for me, and maybe I can do it all myself for cheaper.

Stroker 383 for dummy's?
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to school? If not, quit Pizza-dump. Can you cook, or are you delivery? If you can cook, you can get a job anywhere. Not a good one, but a job nonetheless.
STEEL

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in high school, and my skills are in customer service.

Edit: I am a waiter.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're sticking with serving, jump to a full service place. Tips are better.

I'm honestly starting to go back the other way. Been working in Restaurants full time since I was 17, and I know there's no money or future in it. Which of course means more school. Meh. Rolling Eyes
STEEL

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost everywhere I go they want me to be 18, because they serve alcohol. I am planning on more job hunting tomorrow.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be a problem yeah. When's your birthday?
STEEL

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not until March, the goal was to get the engine DONE by then Sad
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STEEL wrote:
Im in high school, and my skills are in customer service.

Edit: I am a waiter.

Might go looking for a second job at a Grocery Store. I started at one when I was 17, and worked there until I was 21.

When I left I was making like $11.75/hr.

Bam-Ba-Lam

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this isn't really what you want to hear, but you don't have to rush your car project. Most guys here have had their cars for years! Myself not included. I'm still a total newb amongst this crowd.
I love how motivated you are but if you aren't finished by march don't be hard on yourself, you have the rest of your life to play!
~JAKE

Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. As much as I still have to do to my car, and still have planned. Half the fun is the project aspect of it. It is a hobey not just a car. Enjoy getting to work on it, and plan for it.

--John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing: don't ditch your project car, or if you do mod the RS buy a daily. You'll need something to drive when your project car goes down.
Al Hasse

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
One other thing: don't ditch your project car, or if you do mod the RS buy a daily. You'll need something to drive when your project car goes down.

I'm with stupid

Fortunately, for now, both of mine are drivable. I'm glad I had the V8, though acting up the way it was (plug wires Embarassed ), it saved me some sick days when my V6 sprung a leak in its timing cover. If you're going to have two, keep one as a daily and the other as a project to have fun with.

I've had my "project" for a little more than a year now and all I have done is some suspension (shocks/struts, springs, SFC) and some headers. It will probably be that way for at least that much longer, unless I find a deal I can't turn down...

Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the consensus....

Don't give up on the project car, especally if your other camaro is daily transportation.

I suspect my camaro will be down until Cows next year. Maybe longer depending on if I run into complications.

Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially when you sell parts off of it!

But hey... You still have that divorced choke piece! That's a start!

Laughing Wink Very Happy
STEEL

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I been looking around, and here is what I found. Forged "Probe" pistons, SIR eagle connecting rods, and a cast crank, internally balanced, for $800. Took the part numbers to Bud at Bud's machine shop, he told me it was a great deal and to go for it. Now, I need to clean the 350 block (I got it stripped now, and it doesn't look like the rust went very deep.) see if I can revive the heads, and then order this kit.

Tonight Im going to go out into the garage, clean up the block as much as I can (Brake cleaner all over the damn thing) then load it into my grandpa's truck so he can take it with him to work (Seeing how he works right next to bud) and get this block cleaned tomorrow. I am going to see about restoring the heads I have, and check to see if it needs bored any. Then save up till I can buy the $800 kit. finally, at that point, I will just need to buy a Cam and lifters (Since this is a 70s block I am thinking rollers) and then some roller rockers, and then just little shizzle.

I can do this!

As far as selling the second camaro, I think if I am going to go ahead and get rid of it. My second vehicle should be a Chev Truck, or a moter cycle I think.
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STEEL wrote:
As far as selling the second camaro, I think if I am going to go ahead and get rid of it. My second vehicle should be a Chev Truck, or a moter cycle I think.

Think gas mileage and reliability. This is the car you'll be driving in the snow, rain like we had the last two days. Get something FWD and easy on gas. Chevy Cavalier maybe?
QwkTrip
11sec Club

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with the majority and think you should sell the other car. You just don't have the bank roll to fund two "projects". At this stage in your life your daily driver is your project. You do stuff on days off or holidays and have it running by the time you go back to work. If not, make sure you can borrow your parent's car in a pinch. You'll get a LOT more done and have a MUCH better car putting your resources into a single vehicle. My suggestion is to keep the nicer vehicle for yourself. It just costs more money to make a lesser vehicle nice.

The classic example is a guy I knew that had 12 old engines. Each was tired and worn and no matter what he did none of them would be fast. I asked him one day why he didn't just sell all the junk and buy a hot crate engine? Kind of made him think for a bit....

Last edited by QwkTrip on Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STEEL wrote:
finally, at that point, I will just need to buy a Cam and lifters (Since this is a 70s block I am thinking rollers) and then some roller rockers, and then just little shizzle.

I can do this!

Good luck. Smile

Retro roller cam and lifters, plus roller rockers, plus pushrods, springs, and misc other valvetrain will be about $1000 itself.

Also, it's the little shizzle that will kick your wallet's a**!

Definately get a second car.
STEEL

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjmcgee wrote:
STEEL wrote:
finally, at that point, I will just need to buy a Cam and lifters (Since this is a 70s block I am thinking rollers) and then some roller rockers, and then just little shizzle.

I can do this!

Good luck. Smile

Retro roller cam and lifters, plus roller rockers, plus pushrods, springs, and misc other valvetrain will be about $1000 itself.

Also, it's the little shizzle that will kick your wallet's a**!

Definately get a second car.
shouldn't need retros, its an early 70's block...
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhh... does it allready have roller tipped rockers? "retro" in this case refers to retro-fit. as in to install newer technology where it once was not. if you want to put rollers on a non roller block you will need retro rollers. gm did not install roller tipped rockers until 1987. thus all 1987+ SBCs are "roller blocks", and everything pre 1987 is a "non-roller" block.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: