Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

utilizing my constitutionally guaranteed rights.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: utilizing my constitutionally guaranteed rights. Reply with quote

specifically the second ammendment.

went to the Rose City gunshow today and picked up this little beauty. it's a romanian avtomat kalashnikova model 1947, more comonly refered too as the AK-47 or kalashnikov. it is a "post-ban" meaning it is semi-automoatic only (WAY too much paperwork to get a full-auto one) and has the bayonet mounts ground off. it was new-in-box and included the two 30 round magazines pictured as well as a 10 round magazine. also included was the cleaning kit, manual, and a strap. since this is a romainian model it has a stampt reciever instead of a milled reciever. for those who do not know: a milled reciever is hevier, but has increased reliability. it also costs much more to make, milled ones cost about $100 more for very used models.

i am headed out tomorow to put some rounds through it. going out to the quarry at browns camp.

rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on!!!

Is that 7.62 x 39 ammo?
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hail hail

Nice.

Rod, IIRC that was their basic ammo, yeah.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, 762X39. in 1942 Russia created the 762X39 as an intermediate round (making people who call the AK a "high powered rifle" wrong). it was used in the SKS, AK-47, RPD (belt/drum fed machine gun), and the RPK.

until the mid 90's you could get chinese steel core for DIRT cheap, then a few manufacturers designed pistols for it (most of which never saw production, NONE of which have made it into public hands) and the ATF banned it as being "armor peircing" despite it's never being proven to peirce armor. so the cost went up. now with the war on, cost has almost doubled on it in the last year. Sad but if/when we conclude our overseas conflicts in the middle east the cost should go down. i hope.

they aso make kalashnikovs chambered for .22LR. the "california AK" since california has banned both the semi-auto and full auto AK-47s.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet dude!! I'll have to go with you guys sometime to the range...I'll bet it even still kicks pretty hard.
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll let you know in 16 hours. Very Happy

rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quasi-Traction wrote:
sweet dude!! I'll have to go with you guys sometime to the range...I'll bet it even still kicks pretty hard.

You'll be surprised, very little kick. Most of the recoil energy is used to cycle the action.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.....I've only fired a handful of guns in my life

An Ex Army Browning (semi)Automatic Rifle
Winchester .308
Enfield .303
Jennings .22
Glock 40

And whatever BadDawg brought to cows...

The Browning kicked real hard. The Enfield was a little better.

The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I'll have to post some pics of my heavily modified SKS. Its got a Fiberforce stock (looks like a Dragonov), M14 style flash suppressor, RedStar scope, 30 round mag and few other items.

BTW, post or pre ban assault rifles are ALL semi auto. Only law enforcement and a few other select individuals can legally own full auto weapons. My pre ban SKS still has its bayonet lug which is one of the items removed from post ban weapons.

Wolffy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Tony
first off there is no ban anymore, it went the way of the dodo a year ago, so if someone is using pre/post ban to jack up the price, slap em
and full auto weapons are restriced in who can own them anymore, police, military & class 3 dealers/manufacturers
if a weapon was full auto prior to 86, then you can jump thru red tape to get the permit to own it, any full auto weapon that has been made since 86 is not allowed by private citizens.
there are a few certain ways you can kinda side skirt it, if you really want it, but its not cheap. if you become a class 3 dealer/manufacturer, then you can have them, but if you ever quit the business, they gotta go bye-bye & the federal license is like $750 a year (depending on how much business you do, if its over a certain $ amount, then it goes up even more), plus your local/state liceneses, here in WA you gotta have a normal business license ($35 for everything if i recall) plus a firearm manufacturer license ($150 i think)
i looked into it, as i was thinking of getting into gun manufacturing, it would cost like around 1k a year
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as to the guns performance:

WOW. what an acurate piece of equipment. my friend geoff and i put 440 rounds through the gun today. what a blast. at a range of 100 meters i was able to shoot a clay pigeon (sitting on the ground) within three attempts. to my surprise the rear hardsights range-adjuster is actualy fairly usefull. the gun is so easy to shoot and aim. i am very pleased with my purchase.

two minor problems.
problem one: after onlyy 60 rounds the wood around the gas chamber was quite warm. we reloaded the magazines and after the next round of 60 (120 so far) it was HOT and you had to be carful where you grabbed the wooden grip. i burned myself good by touching the metal rivet that holds it on.
solution: a pair of gloves would solve this issue, but what if i don't have time to grab gloves when the comunist invaders are at my door, huh, what then?!!?!

problem two: it "doubled" once. meaning one trigger pull, two rounds. this is usualy caused by the inertia of the bolt slamming forward causing the firing pin to strike the primer too hard, firing the round.
three possable solutions:
a. lighter firing pin (titanium ones are available i think)
b. stronger firing pin retention spring
c. "milspec" ammo with primers requiring a greater force to trigger. this ammo is more expensive.

after getting back home i proceded to field strip the wepon, (a process taking only a few seconds with only a little practice) and give it a good cleaning.

regarding full-auto wepons:
the ban expired in 2004. but there are still many AKs around with filed down bayonet mounts, so the term "post-ban" is still used to describe them. even though we are now in a post-"post-ban" era.

and as to being unable to own a full-auto wepon that depends on your state of residence, as many states have additional laws, the federal law says you may under the following conditions:
you pay the $200 federal "tax". (not sure if this is yearly or one time)
you are not a felon (oregon says you can't own ANY guns if you are a fellon)
you pass the EXTENSIVE federal backround check
your local county sherif says it's ok (this would be the hard part i think, as the law does not specify any conditions for rejection, so it's just up to the sherrif)

in addition to that you give the gov. the right to knock on your door anytime day/night and demand to see proof that the wepon is securly stored in your domicile.

you are also legally required to inform the gov. anytime you move the wepon accross state lines. if you move it permanantly (change of residancy) you must re-pay the $200 tax.

also the gun is not allowed to be oporated, or to travel without you present.

for further information visit the following webpages, or consult your local library.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Control_Act_of_1968
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act Smile

Wolffy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad u like your AK 74, in 1974, ALL AK's were then made with some minor design improvments, so if it was made after 74, then it is technically an ak74, not ak47, but most people refer to them as ak47

the ban that u are referring to was the assault weapons ban, not the full auto one, there is no time limit on it
the assult ban, stated certain weapons could not be imported & had to have a certain # of US made parts in them, there were 2 differnet bans

the "doubled" effect u are refering to, is called BUMP firing & is usually preffered, as its the closest we average joes can get to full auto anymore
some weapons can almost do full auto doing it, its a matter of timing to get it to work & the gun itself, its a matter of the recoil moving the gun back & forth & you holding the trigger at the sweet spot, i have not been able to do this with my ak74, but once on accident
i belive the $200 u are refering to is in reference to the federal tax fee, which applies to class 3 firearms & such
short barrled rifles, shotguns, silencers & AOW's (any other weapons)
which yes diff states have diff laws, here in WA u can no longer build short barrled shotguns & haven been able to since 94 as i recall
keep in mind wikipedia is not always 100% accurate as the average joe enters the data with no fact checking
the heat problem is a fact for our guns, the barrels get REALLY hot, if u wanted to switch over to a polymer front handgrip, as i have, that may help some
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolffy wrote:

the "doubled" effect u are refering to, is called BUMP firing & is usually preffered, as its the closest we average joes can get to full auto anymore
some weapons can almost do full auto doing it, its a matter of timing to get it to work & the gun itself, its a matter of the recoil moving the gun back & forth & you holding the trigger at the sweet spot, i have not been able to do this with my ak74, but once on accident

i think you are combining two seperate things:
"its a matter of timing to get it to work & the gun itself, its a matter of the recoil moving the gun back & forth & you holding the trigger at the sweet spot,"
THIS is a perfect discription of bumpfiring. and it is FUN. but it is done on purpose, and you have to hold the wepon a certain way. http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/bump.htm

the "doubling" effect in my case was not a bump fire, it was a slamfire. http://www.simonov.net/uberslamfire.htm and is caused by the firing pin striking the primer whan the trigger was NOT pulled. sure it is cool, but it can be verry dangerous as it can cause the wepon to discharge with a not yet fully chambered round, which can cause harmful/deadly results for the firearm oporator.

also, don't ak74s shoot 5.45 x 39 mm ? i thought the ak74 based ak-47 (7.62X39) were called AKMs. i could be wrong on this though, i have done so much reading on this in the last few weeks some of the details are a bit fuzzy.
Wolffy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah u are refering to slamfirring, yes that is dangerous
ak's come in 3 main caliber, 7.62x39, 5.45 x39? & 5.56, being the rarest of those 3
i belive the M in AKM stands for machine, meaning machine gun, aka full auto, its kinda like an m-60 or M-249, an AKM uses a heavier barrel to help with the heat issue
mines chambered in 7.62x39, PWC 05 i brought mine, a couple of the guys shot it & had fun
RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AKM is what most people refer to as an AK47 these days as it was the replacement for the AK47 in the 60s though it is basically the same rifle with a few improvements such as the heavier barrel. Actual AK47s haven't been produced for several decades. The 5.45mm variation is the AK74 which is the current standard issue assault rifle of the Russian military. Why go to a smaller caliber? Through experiences in the Vietnam war, the Russians found that the smaller caliber M16 (5.56mm) round was much more likely to cause a fatal wound because the bullet would tumble as it hit the body and riccochet off bones causing much more damage to the body than the large (7.62mm) AK round which was more likely to go straight through its target.

My buddy and I once went shooting out off an old logging road in or around Elby (near Mt. Rainier). We duct taped two Seattle phone books together and fired several 9mm and .45 hand gun rounds at it. These rounds penetrated a few inches before flattening out stopping in the middle. Our SKS rounds however went right through with a perfect 7.62mm hole on both sides due to the combination of a larger cartridge, a jacketed round, and way more mussle velocity.

rjmcgee
The Hammer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolffy wrote:
ah u are refering to slamfirring, yes that is dangerous
ak's come in 3 main caliber, 7.62x39, 5.45 x39? & 5.56, being the rarest of those 3
i belive the M in AKM stands for machine, meaning machine gun, aka full auto, its kinda like an m-60 or M-249, an AKM uses a heavier barrel to help with the heat issue
mines chambered in 7.62x39, PWC 05 i brought mine, a couple of the guys shot it & had fun

Anybody have any good info on the 5.56? Any good web sights to get info and what not?

I found one under the Christmas tree today but don't really know any thing about it.
Quasi-Traction
"I have petals"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky!!!

I had no guns under the christmas tree...But santa brought me a grand total of $550. So I could potentially have fun playing with Gambino with the 7.62 Ammo.

i think most of it will probably be spent on dyno preperation....

hehehe...no sneeky pete, but I have a higer lift camshaft in my future Very Happy 200hp is not acceptable from a 350. I need at least 250. I can't afford to lose to Brandon or Gambino in present state Razz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before boot camp I had shot a couple .22s, a .45 handgun, and a Mauser sniper rifle.

During boot camp I fired the M16-A2. It sucks just like you hear or read in the news. Double feeds, stovepipes, any kind of stoppage you can think of it happens. And Alot.

In Combat training I fired these bad boys...
M-240G

M-249 SAW

M-203 40mm Grenade Launcher

AT-4 84mm Rocket Launcher

Browning M2 .50cal Machine Gun

Mk-19 40mm Grenade Machine Gun

And I keep this little bugger on my hip everyday at work... Beretta M9

I almost bought a Yugo 59/66 while I was on leave before I came to Japan, but I couldnt justify buying something I wouldnt be able to use for 2 years.... however it is just one of the many on my list to get once I am stateside.

Good purchase though, Sounds like you got a good quality rifle there since you only got one instance of slam fire while putting that many rounds through it. As far as the heat issue, have you checked out the other types of aftermarket grips out there? Quite a few good choices to keep your hands from getting toasty. Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
littletank170

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice AK. Very Happy ill have to post pics of my AR-15M4 sometime.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gloves solved the problem Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: