Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job Help...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Job Help... Reply with quote

I'm sure a few of you have come across this steping stone once or twice and I'm just curious as to what you've done.

I dislike my job. I mean I do like it, but I'm so underpayed it's hardly funny. Two nut hairs above minimum wage. It is fun but I've acquired a bit of debt getting ahold of my bird and I'd like to get rid of it. (the debt, not the bird). With the payments I make now I'm just a bit above minimum payment mark each month and I keep getting tempted by other goodies for the thing, big brakes, large wheels, manifolds, turbos, etc. While for the most part I can hold off on those things It'd still be quite awhile before I would be able to pay this crap off and start a fresh.

I don't even have enough moola to have my own place. I'm still living at home at 21.

I'd like to start a job (or heck, even a career type) that'll pay decently to get myself out of the hole and out by myself. I'm quite capable at most anything I do job-wise. Hell, the last job I had was head cake decorator/manager at a Baskin Robbins. I'm just ignorant about what's out there I guess. I don't know what kind of jobs are available.

So how did you guys stumble into the jobs you have? Suggestions? Job offers? Smile (No, I won't be your lackey...) Comments? Swift kicks to the hind-side?

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
85 T/A WS6

1985 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a stint as a rent a cop, I took a job as a laborer on a steel erector crew. I learned the trade and became a leadman and also started my own crew up on the side, putting up the steel for (at the time) the worlds largest Nissan dealership.

Working with steel and having 4 years drafting experiance in Highschool led to a position in a steel fabrication plant scrubbing drawings and being an assistant to project mgrs. This came at a good time as dreams of falling off the steel started to haunt me (we were required to walk on thin beams without safety harnesses very high in the air)

At one of the steel fab locations a guy showed me Autocad and I was blown away by the program and learned it by myself. This skill has opened up many doors for me and I use it at my present job. It was not always a smooth ride as the manufacturing industry is hot and cold and I had a few lay-offs here and there, but fortunately each new job was a better one. I also started my own consulting biz providing CAD drawings for Arch, Civil, and Mech Engineering firms. I also ran a QC program for an ASME certified boiler shop, qualifying welders to work on high pressure steam boilers. I was lucky to have connections that brough these opportunities and I was very carefull not to burn any bridges. Right now I design the gas and power distribution system for a master plan community and being in a union, the pay isnt too bad. I also do storm damage surveys.

Because I had the chance to go to a university, but being young and wanting to party I turned it down so this made it very hard and long to get where I am now. It does not matter what your degree is, just get one, it always helps and most places require it. I was trapped in car payments so I had to work and this left little time for college. I did go to a Junior College and have 60 credits but still no degree.

It was cool to have a nice car though at a young age but dont make it a priority, it slows things down. Get a beater thats good on gas.

I moved back and forth between home and shaking up with GF's. If you parents dont mind and your not being a leech (lol) keep that arrangement.
It was a killer deal for me, just do stuff around the house and show your parents appreciation (you may already do these things because your still there Smile )

I would like to see you get into an lineman appretice program and possibly get a job with Seattle City Light. Lineman make an excellent wage and you can get a job anyplace. We will always need power so security is a given.

Get the latest stats on job market trends, see where its going, do some research.

One last thing, and its not for you specifically, but I wanted to say something about work ethics that the younger crowd has today, it needs improvement in most cases.

Leave your cellphone off, only use it if really needed. Take your lunch (dont expect to be driven to micky D's everyday if in the field) When given a task do it quickly and efficiently without complaints, dont drag your feet. Remember the tasks that you do and the procedures so you dont have to ask again and again ("Do it just like last time" I always say)
Show up for work ontime (Early is on time and just on time is late)
Bring all the required tools and never ask to borrow someone elses. Dont be afraid to ask and clarify the mission, this reduces mistakes. Treat your supervisors with respect, you may be the smartest and best worker but a bad attitude snuffs that out (even if you hate you job, dont let it affect your tude). If asked to work overtime, jump on it, be willing and able to help at all times.

Thats it for now, good luck!

1985 Trans Am Recaro Option (AS5)
67,000 miles 5.0 TPI Hi Flow MAF
TPI Airfoil w/Bypass Flowmaster WS6 (.92g)
3:27 Borg Warner Posi K&N Filtration
miamivice

1982 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you still coming up here tomorrow? we can talk about options then...
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also suggest some sort of Certification, or Degree.

I am about the same age as you are Ian. Although I am doing OK, with a degree, I could be doing so much better than I am. While you are living at home, it would be a great time to get some schooling done. Having a degree, even if you don't do something in that field, opens up SO many more doors.

If you are not happy with your current job, look for a job that will be flexable with your hours, so that you can go to school, there are a lot of companies, that will help with your college bills (via tutition rembersment, and so forth), and will be flexable enough with your hours, that you can attend the classes you need.

The only way you are going to land, a good carrier type job, is to either have a fair ammount of experiance in the field you are trying to get the job in, or having a degree. (Yes I know there are expections).

FWIW, When I lost my last job, I took the down time, and took a Cisco class at the local community college. Within 6 months, I had my CCNA certification. Without that peice of paper, I likely wouldn't have gotten my current job, even though I do nothing with Cisco stuff in my job, the certification was my in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey316 wrote:
I took a Cisco class at the local community college. Within 6 months, I had my CCNA certification. Without that peice of paper, I likely wouldn't have gotten my current job, even though I do nothing with Cisco stuff in my job, the certification was my in.

dewey wrote:
@ dyno, on friday night when i pointed out his CCNA book "you don't need the class, just buy the book and take the test"

Laughing I KNEW you took the course!!!!! i am also going to PCC getting my CCNA right now.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the course at MHCC, its much cheaper there.

If you need any help with some of the stuff, let me know.

--John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
miamivice

1982 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dewey wrote:
@ dyno, on friday night when i pointed out his CCNA book "you don't need the class, just buy the book and take the test"

ive got one of the cisco books they use for that degree at the CColeges. ill give it to you tomorrow if you want to take a look.
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miamivice wrote:
dewey wrote:

ive got one of the cisco books they use for that degree at the CColeges. ill give it to you tomorrow if you want to take a look.

I'm not saying cisco is the way to go. I'm just pointing out that, education and certifications of any sort, really help.
Kage87Z

1969 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not sure how I landed this gig.

Planets aligned? The right tide sequence?

I never set out to become a political consultant. It just kinda happened. And the bizarre thing is that I really, really hate politics. But it seems kinda like the Mafia... you try to get out, and they just keep pulling you back in.

I qualify for three different kinds of Veteran's Preference and was designated an "Outstanding Scholar of America" (Purely because of my college grades... anyone with a 3.45 4 year average or higher GPA is so designated) by the federal government, a lifelong designation that puts you at the front of the line for hiring at ALL federal agencies at the GS 5 or GS 7 level.

I also filed some 300 applications for federal jobs around the world in a wide variety of fields. I got not even an interview.

I even took a job that paid a 3rd as much that had nothing to do with politics. But all my buds are senators or reps... or people who want to become a senator or rep... and the phone kept ringing.

Since most political types use OPM, tho, they don't have any trouble paying, so our new consulting company that another political junky and myself just started bills out at $125 per hour... and we're on the low end of the spectrum.

So, unless I win the powerball lottery and become the next Boyd Coddington or Chip Foose type... this kind of gig seems to be my lot in life.

The downside is that, like many small businesses, this thing can suck all the time right out of your life.

Six months of last year, 80 hour weeks were common, though not charged, on campaigns I worked on. (I then charged a flat fee) Candidates can be, and frequently are, total head trips... and hard to deal with.

But, to paraphrase Churchill, it's the worst form of job, but it'll do until something better comes along.

Todd Beamer - 9/11
Never Forget

My 69's story: http://myspace.com/69camaro454

My 87 Z/28's tale of woah... http://myspace.com/87Zcamaro383
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kage, when I run for dictator. I am so going to hire your company. Wink
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you've got my vo... wait a minute! i'm on to you!!!!
Kage87Z

1969 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Todd Beamer - 9/11
Never Forget

My 69's story: http://myspace.com/69camaro454

My 87 Z/28's tale of woah... http://myspace.com/87Zcamaro383
mrpopo573

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for jobs, I cannot discount the idea of sticking with something that can lead to a better life for you and your future family or whomever.
Dewey is right on about CISCO, as I did something very similiar in HS and have gotten into college because of it, and carry the Senate of Hawaii Academic Award that got me into evergreen state.

But for a job that is relatively easy to do, has great benefits, and will help you pay for a life while you go through school, take a look at Helper Clerk positions at big grocery stores. I was paid 9.25/hr, time and a half on sundays, full dental, medical and vision, paid birthdays, paid leave, huge overtime benefits, and the 2nd largest union in the US. My friends who still work there are now getting over 13 an hour. Checkers get close to 19.50/hour to scan groceries.

It isnt a career, but it pays the bills and is a fun environment.

Just my .02 cents.

2000 Maxima SE 5 Speed VQ30
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my little brother was being paid insane ammounts of money to stock produce in a grocery store. grocery unions kick ass.
miamivice

1982 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xophertony wrote:
my little brother was being paid insane ammounts of money to stock produce in a grocery store. grocery unions kick ass.

yeah, thats funny you should say that...my buddy makes 18 dollars an hour doing that at fred meyers up here. crazy
rice B-4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bang bang My job somedays. Crying or Very sad
mrpopo573

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Produce Clerk was my title. It was great money and great benefits. Good for college guys.

2000 Maxima SE 5 Speed VQ30
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riceb4, you work at a knects right?
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrpopo573 wrote:

My friends who still work there are now getting over 13 an hour. Checkers get close to 19.50/hour to scan groceries.

It isnt a career, but it pays the bills and is a fun environment.

Just my .02 cents.

Whoa dude... where do they pay checkers that? I'm a Produce Clerk, make a bit over $15/hr and can't make any more without going into management, which is only a few cents more. Checkers make the same as produce, and the Union in the Portland metro area signed a new contract limiting checker/clerk wages to 12 something for new hires, and it takes a long time to get there.
Raiden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be looking for some help this sumer. I used to be a contractor 15yrs ago. Looking to start back by starting my own painting business, then progressing upward. Currenlty, I'm in shcool till the end of June, then I plan on starting,considering I do not get a job right a way. I'll keep my options open, If I can help, Excellent Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: