Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

so, I broke down and bought a Canon 350D

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: so, I broke down and bought a Canon 350D Reply with quote

should be here friday.

8 mp, digital SLR rebel XT, two lenses, a 2gb memory card, flash, filters, cleaning kit, extra batteries, battery grip, whole nine yards basically... f***ing expensive, but well worth it IMO

Now I don't know a whole lot about SLR, but I realized, I always want a point and shoot with a high optical zoom. But with those, not everything is what it seems, and you miss out a lot of opportunities with them. So, I went the slightly more costly route, and got something a bit more "professional" where I can change ISO levels, etc, and have some fun with it. I'll probably be starting a photography course in october just for the hell of it, will give me sometihng else to do with my spare time...

put a lot of thought into it and compared 4 different cameras, the Canon 350D, the Canon 20D, Nikon D70, and Olympus Evolt-300

the two canon and the olympus are 8mp, the nikon is 6
of the four, the 20d and D70 had 1/8000 shutter speed, the other two have 1/4000.
At higher ISO's (beyond 800), only the 20D and the 350D take decent pictures, the D70 and E300 get very poor pictures.
they're all roughly the same cost, with the exception of the 20D, which is about $500 more, but for a good reason, since its a higher end camera

Just wnated something to have fun with and challenge myself with, since I don't have a car I feel like dumping assloads of money into, I'm going to start a new hobby Wiggly wiggly (other than videogames and weight lifting)

should be interesting

Soon to be less than stock
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: so, I broke down and bought a Canon 350D Reply with quote

bastid!

Sounds like a really nice set up you got going there. Probably way too complicated for a beginning photographer but once you learn how to use everything you will be happy you decided to start out with an expensive camera that does everything, instead of buying an easy to use one and realize you want to upgrade once you get experienced.

All hail digitalness... I have so many rolls of film lying around I have no desire to spend 7 dollars to develope.

12sec Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed I am

and its not complicated, just more to learn. and I look forward to the challenge, will give me sometihng to play with, to focus on, and to improve at...

I didn't want a point and shoot for the simple reason that there is nothing to do but point and shoot, there is no depth of field, and while there is quality, the SLR offers more in the ways of great photos and opportunity.

plus, it opens many a door if I choose to do other things with it, like taking pictures of a girls tits from across a parking lot and still being able to have a picture of them in all their glory close up Surprised Surprised Surprised

I've played with it enough to know my way around, and I've got some experience with Film SLR cameras, I just want to have one for myself.

its just a very expensive hobby, moreso than say, cars can be... Shocked

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demon wrote:

its just a very expensive hobby, moreso than say, cars can be... Shocked

Except... you can sell those bewbie pictures on the internet for money... Whereas cars just sit and make you agravated.

12sec Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true

edit ~
one of the reasons its a good hobby to get into though is that when I want to sell a lens, I won't have a problem doing it later on, they don't go down in value a whole lot, and if I buy used lenses, chances are I can sell it for the same price I bought it for.

in which case, when I need to upgrade to another lense, I can get rid of what I've got and not feel badly about it, as it won't be a poor investment

it shall be fun.

iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those DSLR's are fun.

My dad's got the 20d I think. Big ol f***ing thing compared to my small point and shoot SD100. But even with shitty settings it'll put to shame anything I could take. Congrats!
Demon
12sec Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
Those DSLR's are fun.

My dad's got the 20d I think. Big ol f***ing thing compared to my small point and shoot SD100. But even with shitty settings it'll put to shame anything I could take. Congrats!
I had considered the 20D quite a bit for the extra shutter speed and the fact that it really is a better camera, but I couldn't justify spending another $600 for just a body than I spent on the 350D with a kit lense (read, not great but usable, hence an extra lense)... accessories for the 350 are slightly cheaper too, as far as camara specific parts go, though if I do need to upgrade the body at some point, canon's all use the same lenses and flashes and all that so I'm safe there Smile

the 350D isn't that big, its slightly smaller than the 300D and a bit smaller than the 20D, but its still larger than most P&S cameras, and adding the battery grip to it gives more stability plus a few other things, such as longer battery life, stable vertical photos, etc

iansane

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the size of the big-un 20d (compared to my tiny canon) makes taking any worthwhile photos easier to me.

If I had the cash I'd get a dslr in a heartbeat. I'm jealous. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: