Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey everyone!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
G33K5QU4D

1983 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Hey everyone! Reply with quote

Hey guys! I recently heard about you guys over at thirdgen.org, and was super excited to see a northwest forum! Just saying hello, and hope to get to know you all soon.

My 1983 Camaro [/img]
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Crew... Nice looking ride!

Schultzy

12.73 @ 109.39, 1.793 60 \ 11.794 @ 121.16, 1.62 60 (old combo)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dewey316
The Lama

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.

I think I've seen your car a time or two around on the westside of PDX.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pathology knight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the crew!! Wink
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Tell us a few things about yourself and your car.
G33K5QU4D

1983 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so starting off, I am currently a senior in high school. I got the car around october of 2012. I was looking all over craigslist for a car, and I knew exactly what I wanted; a third gen Camaro/Firebird. Something about the body style was just so epic, I knew that's what I wanted to get. I had checked out a few, but nothing really stood out. Then I saw this one listed for $700. It looked pretty much how it does now; aftermkarket rims, hood, the spoiler, and some pretty big subs in the back. Every teenagers dream.

We checked it out, and of course the thing didn't run. Guy said something about the carb or something. Had a salvage title due to being stolen at one point. We thought no worries and towed her home.

My dad and I took countless trips to pick and pull yards looking for various bits and pieces. We did end up needing to replace the carb (and other things), but the reason the thing wouldn't start was due to a bad starter. Replaced that, ran for a while. All was good.

Then came time to pass DEQ. Rolled in, thing didn't pass. Took her to a shop who tweaked it, came back, wouldn't pass it because the VIN plate under the windshield was gone (previous owner told me just to tell them to check for a hard body VIN, they said no. Of course)

We then headed to DMV, who sent us to state police, who sent us back to DMV to get the VIN on a sticker, and then back to DEQ to finally pass. Lot's of steps.

One night I was driving and took a corner and slid into a lamp post (I was going slow, still slipped on the wet road). No tickets, but the hood and front bumper took some damage. We were able to patch it up ourselves and no need of a body shop.

Anyways, was running well when the engine started to make this awful pinging noise. My dad and I ended up taking the engine apart enough to replace the timing belt, which we thought was the cause of the noise. As luck would have it, that didn't fix it. We ended up buying another engine and took it to a shop to be swapped (which took several weeks for some reason). After that, was running swell.

Just a few weeks ago, trans started clunking on shifting, and this obnoxious rattling on idle. We picked up a used trans (I was surprised how hard it was to find an 83 5 speed around here). Got that swapped out and is running fine right now.

She has a 2.8 Liter V6 engine with a five speed trans. Not the fastest thing in the world, but the V6 is a lot cheaper for a high school student to insure. After all the stuff I've been through with this car, I can say I'm happy with my decision. I can't wait for the warmer weather to come back so I can take the tops off! Surprised
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice,
My first thirdgen was a 2.8 as well. In fact 12 years later I am just now getting rid of it. it's a well used 1986 2.8L firebird. In a few weeks i'll be parting out the drive-train if you want a spare running* 2.8. i think all the bottom end stuff is the same, or at least compatible with the carbed models. You would have to migrate over a few things like your mechanical fuel pump and such.

So do you plan on doing any bigger projects on it on your own, or are you just using it as a daily driver and taking it to the shop to keep it running?

*not well. but the block/heads are sound, it's all sensors and tuning.

EDIT*

Hey, I just noticed you are in hillsboro! If you ever need any help wrenching on the car let me know! I'm not a great mechanic but I am willing to lend a hand and share what little I actually know about cars. I have learned a lot by doing things wrong and breaking stuff over the years.

G33K5QU4D

1983 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure dude, I will hit you up if/when I'm doing a bigger project with it. Right now it's just my daily driver, but at some point I was looking at swapping an LS1 engine and new trans (when I get enough saved up, those things are pretty spendy.) I was looking at builds for turbos, but wasn't sure if that would be a good route to take. Mainly just focused on keeping it running for the time being, need a reliable car for college here soon haha.
RSFreak
The other "John"

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! Very Happy
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGO's V6 board has a tone of info on turboing the 2.8. although I must warn you, about 3 paragraphs in you will be overcome by the urge to bleed from the eyes at the site of people spending so much money so they can be almost as fast as a stock 350 car.*

*or in other words don't turbo your 2.8L thirdgen.

EDIT*
WOW, shut my mouth. some dude on TGO is getting 400+RWHP from a 2.8. he did do all the labor himself though, including welding up his entire exhaust system. And I don't think that includes the tools needed to burn chips, which is nearly $500.*

*still don't do it.
aaron_sK

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.8L is a silly engine to turbo. For the returns you get it's not worth the trouble and they can't stand up to much power. Put a turbo on a 3.8 or a gen3.

The TGO V6 forum (like the rest of TGO) is an insular mess. There are two or three people who have built the same engine, and everyone else just parrots them.

V6/T5 is the best combo you can have in these cars IMHO. Leave the engine alone and put your money into the suspension. Driving a car that handles well with less power will make you a better driver.
Xophertony
Rodeo Queen

1988 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Aaron said. I like driving my 2.8 car better because of how well it handles. Once I get an all aluminum gen3 in my GTA it should bring the front weight down to make it closer to the v6 cars weight ballance

I have driven a 2.8/700r4 combo before. That was the worst. It took about half the engines power to run the tranny. Not really of course, but that is what it felt like. I have never driven a car that felt that slow.
Alphius
Peanut

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
V6/T5 is the best combo you can have in these cars IMHO. Leave the engine alone and put your money into the suspension. Driving a car that handles well with less power will make you a better driver.

I have theorized that a good running 2.8/T5 with the right driver is actually likely to be faster than a non-TPI 305/700R4 stock for stock.

I have to disagree on the V6/T5 being the best combo. The LS1/T56 is much better. Very Happy Admittedly I'm a bit biased and it sure costs a whole lot more.

Take that thing out and do some autocross, put some money into the suspension and you'll be happy.

G33K5QU4D

1983 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, turboing probably isn't the best idea haha. Suspension upgrades would be nice, I have been really happy with the handling so far. Do you guy have any suggestions as far as suspension upgrades go?
aaron_sK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Struts.

Tires.

Weight reduction.

Profit?
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eibach pro kit. Love it. Need struts and shocks to take full advantage.
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sway bars. Stock upgrades and poly end links next.
Then torque arm.

Then ball joints and control arm bushings.

Replace anything warm out above all first.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: