Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mmm.... greeeeen...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the pic, it looks like the driver side header is quite close to the power steering return line. Maybe just camera angle
_________________
92 Camaro
89 Camaro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:


It is not a tuuumaaah!

aaron_sK wrote:
Is that a fixed reservoir or is that just where the divorced unit is mounted?

Either way maybe a PS cooler in your future. Laughing


It's a type2 pump so the divorced unit is mount directly to the pump. I'm going to look into remote reservoirs. Laughing

_________________

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it only the veesix fourthgens that had the reservoir way over on the fender then?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea! But that gives me one to look at! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the 3800 at least has it divorced and mounted to the framerail.

No idea on an LS1 car, I haven't paid that much attention.

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LS1s are mounted where I have it, it's a factory fbody bracket.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went out to the shop to grab a pic of mine. This is the factory fourthgen pump, reservoir and lines running into the thirdgen box. The reservoir is just hanging in this picture. There is enough slop in the lines to get it farther out of the way.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know offhand if the diameter of the shaft is the same between your 4thgenv6 pump and a thirdgen one?
_________________

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F**k no, not a clue. Laughing

How would the old thirdgen pump help anyway?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing As far as I know, shaft diameter is the same between 3rdgen and fourthgen v8 pumps. If I can just pick up a new pump from my work and swap over the pulley that'd be easiest. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, for my LT1 swap I used the resevoir over on the driver side but I got some stock high pressure lines to actually work. All I needed to do was bend one of the hard parts a little. Not sure if it will work with what your doing but thats how the LT1 ended up.
_________________
E30
86 RS - 7.4L V8 SOLD
89 RS - 3.25L V6 REMOVED
89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iansane wrote:
Laughing As far as I know, shaft diameter is the same between 3rdgen and fourthgen v8 pumps. If I can just pick up a new pump from my work and swap over the pulley that'd be easiest. Smile


Why change the pump at all? Does the draw side of the reservoir have a rubber line or is it like some press-fit BS? Seems to me like you could mount and sort of reservoir anywhere you wanted and just run the line into the low side of the pump. Shrug
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can remember, the res just has an oring fitting to the pump and it's just held on by some clips to keep the seal. I don't remember there being a fitting or tube coming off...

blue89 wrote:
Just a thought, for my LT1 swap I used the resevoir over on the driver side but I got some stock high pressure lines to actually work. All I needed to do was bend one of the hard parts a little. Not sure if it will work with what your doing but thats how the LT1 ended up.


That's exactly what I did for the ls swap. 4thgenv8 hoses fit with just a slight bend to them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're just using the normal type-2 pump shouldn't the inside of the inlet be tapped for threads? If not maybe it could be tapped.

If not then you are right about needing to find out which shaft diameter you need. Summit sells a universal unit with a 5/8" shaft like so:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-340106P/Application/?prefilter=1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type-2, hose barb on the low pressure line... doesn't list shaft sizes.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/A1C0/20874.oap
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that looks promising. I hope the orientation is the same as mine, I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks buddy!

Incidentally, while digging around in the garage tonight "cleaning up" I found all the v-band flanges/clamps and turbo flanges I had ordered years ago. Laughing It's like free parts!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that pump was quite a bit off. Laughing the shaft diameter was much smaller and the bolt holes were smaller and threaded. Oh well.

But I did get my weight jacks in!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it only took three weeks! Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PS pump I knew about the next day, just put it on the back burner while I tacked together the hotside.


Now I need some red spray paint for those springs!


Edit; Laughing Sorry guys I forgot I can't shrink photobucket pictures from my phone! I'll edit when I get home from work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think GC supports drinking while working on my car. This spanner wrench looks an awful lot like a bottle opener...

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group