Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hold on to your butts...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 2083
Location: Aloha

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found an awesome place called Hydraulic House that was able to make me a totally custom clutch hose in about 5 min. And cost me only $40! Less than half of the dorman piece.

I've started to plan out the engine wiring today. I want the install to be tidy, look factory, and be easy to trouble shoot later down the road.

Buried in my box of wiring fun that came with the swap is the factory fuse/relay box. I started tonight by cutting all the leads and labeling the entire fuse box. I figure this way I can keep all engine related fuses and relays in one place. I'm also thinking about relocating the fuel pump relay and the fan relay to this box.

Maybe I'll have made enough progress tomorrow to warrant a few pics. Now it just looks like a mess of wires on the floor.

-jake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

83Z28BlackBetty wrote:
Found an awesome place called Hydraulic House that was able to make me a totally custom clutch hose in about 5 min. And cost me only $40! Less than half of the dorman piece.


Sounds a lot like the place I had make my braided brake lines. Small place, but just enough business to keep two guys busy for eight hours a day. I walked in and had 3 brake lines in about 30 minutes for about $60 apiece.

83Z28BlackBetty wrote:
I've started to plan out the engine wiring today. I want the install to be tidy, look factory, and be easy to trouble shoot later down the road.

Buried in my box of wiring fun that came with the swap is the factory fuse/relay box. I started tonight by cutting all the leads and labeling the entire fuse box. I figure this way I can keep all engine related fuses and relays in one place. I'm also thinking about relocating the fuel pump relay and the fan relay to this box.

Maybe I'll have made enough progress tomorrow to warrant a few pics. Now it just looks like a mess of wires on the floor.


Sounds like a fun project you have underway. Electronics can be really fun, or a nightmare, but it looks a if you've got the beginning of it under control.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 2083
Location: Aloha

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the fuse and relay box finished tonight. I de-pinned the entire thing and have it now totally rewired. I also drew up an accurate color diagram for future reference if necessary.

Its a pretty simple concept. I have a main relay that receives its signal from keyed power and main power from the battery that powers the line of fuses. Power then goes through Each fuse and provides power to a separate corrosponding relay. Aka fan 1, fan 2, fuel pump, ac compressor clutch. Other fuses will power engine based wiring. Aka injector bank 1, bank 2, O2 heaters, sensor power. This way each relay is easily tested and replaced if necessary, as well as I'm not messing with the under dash fuse all engine based relays and fuses are all centrally located.

Does anyone know if the lt1 maf has a burn off function? Also are there any other engine functions that should be relay driven and other circuits I'm forgetting that need to be fused?

-jake

_________________
1983 Z-28 5.7 LT1, T56, Headman headers, BW 9 Bolt Posi Disc, WS6 suspension
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 2083
Location: Aloha

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started the arduous task of engine wiring today. Remember the post about how i pulled the old harness out of the loom and de-pinned the pcm connectors? This was the next phase of the project. I took each connector bundle and plugged it in to its corresponding sensor and then routed the wires around the back of the engine bay the way i wanted.

I plan on mounting the PCM where the coolant bottle used to go. the problem is the wires aren't long enough to reach there, so the next few days will be spent lengthening wires to reach. here are a few pics of my progress so far.

~JAKE




_________________
1983 Z-28 5.7 LT1, T56, Headman headers, BW 9 Bolt Posi Disc, WS6 suspension
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
RSFreak
The other "John"


Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Posts: 2946
Location: Renton

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Jake! Cool
_________________
'86 Trans Am - 5.0L TPI - LT1 cam - 700R4 - WS6
'85 Camaro Berlinetta - IROC clone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

83Z28BlackBetty wrote:


Spaghetti mess!! Laughing Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite things is seeing that pile of chaos turn into a seamless loom of perfection.
_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spaghetti anyone?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpeDge2ViLdjLbY4oO_qKJpYSijTUQ-dguJO9dQcbktL942rc-BA[/img]

Something like that.

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's stopping you from hiding the ecm where the factory mounts the thirdgen one up under the dash?
_________________

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lmao.. is that supposed to be an attempt at an equal length header? Wow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 2083
Location: Aloha

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you mention that ian, I was thinking the same thing earlier today while looking at pictures of my engine bay.

So I actually measured it out and it looks like my lengthening the wires gave me enough to tuck the loom through the bulk head connector on the passenger side so i can hide it completely. Smile

Now off to get more heat shrink, to think that 8 feet wasn't enough...

-jake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chevymad wrote:
Lmao.. is that supposed to be an attempt at an equal length header? Wow


Yeah, it looks like somebody wanted to do an equal length header on an inline six. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richster
Magic Fingers


Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Posts: 879
Location: The Black-Hole

1983 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Christmas lights!
You got it dialed, well done! Cool

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dewey316
The Lama


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 7295
Location: Bringing the tech

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaron_sK wrote:
chevymad wrote:
Lmao.. is that supposed to be an attempt at an equal length header? Wow


Yeah, it looks like somebody wanted to do an equal length header on an inline six. Laughing


hehe..or on an inline 5....

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
91RSVert
Member


Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 2736
Location: AR

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wire mess looks like my car about 3?? years ago when I went OBD2.

I extended the wires to go thru the bulkhead and into stock position. IMO it looks much cleaner. I never did like the pcm in the engine bay idea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewey316 wrote:
or on an inline 5....


Weirdos. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
83Z28BlackBetty
Bam-Ba-Lam


Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 2083
Location: Aloha

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enough of this crazy talk of 5 cylinder headers and italian pasta...

I've just about finished the sensor wiring harness. All that's left is to set up the external connections, fuel pump relay, fan relays, 12v ign, and grounds.

A few questions,
Does a t56 use a park neutral switch? Or can I just use the clutch switch?

I'm Using the pcm to control the ac clutch relay, if I ignore the evap temp sensor, and the refridgerant pressure sensor will I run into problems? Or should i leave the pcm out of the ac loop, except for the ac clutch status wire?

There is a brake switch signal wire on my diagrams that I think is related to tcc, I shouldn't need it for a t56 right?

-jake

Ps, just scored a trick flow intake elbow off craig's list to replace the old ripped rubber boot. Score!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

83Z28BlackBetty wrote:
A few questions,
Does a t56 use a park neutral switch? Or can I just use the clutch switch?

Clutch switch yes, park switch no. You have the reverse lockout wired, right?

83Z28BlackBetty wrote:
I'm Using the pcm to control the ac clutch relay, if I ignore the evap temp sensor, and the refridgerant pressure sensor will I run into problems? Or should i leave the pcm out of the ac loop, except for the ac clutch status wire?

I don't know much about A/C systems but if there are provision for a pressure shutoff switch I would keep it!

83Z28BlackBetty wrote:
There is a brake switch signal wire on my diagrams that I think is related to tcc, I shouldn't need it for a t56 right?

Does the LT pcm use the brake signal switch to deactivate the reverse lockout or is it only under speeds of 5mph?

Good find on the elbow, that's the metal one, right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group