Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

post swap blues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
flea
Member


Joined: 25 Jul 2008
Posts: 1246
Location: Raymond WA

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Chart Paul, I will check those things out this weekend probably.
I might even be getting the hang of this Diagnostic thinking stuff. In my mind I was thinking one of three things, wrong KS, bad ECM or bad memcal. didn't know exactly how to narrow it down from there, but armed with this info, I can either confirm or eliminate the KS now.
I feel like I'm closer. Funny how information does that.

_________________
Killing mailboxes since 2009
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMNIT ELIMINATE THE FUEL SYSTEM BY CHECKING FUEL PRESSURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool Laughing
_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
flea
Member


Joined: 25 Jul 2008
Posts: 1246
Location: Raymond WA

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to, but first I need to get a fuel pressure tester. That will be on Friday.
_________________
Killing mailboxes since 2009
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
flea
Member


Joined: 25 Jul 2008
Posts: 1246
Location: Raymond WA

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I did it wrong, fuel pressure was 20. Sad
So either I boned up buying a fuel pump, or boned up checking the pressure.

_________________
Killing mailboxes since 2009
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the pressure regulator could be stuffed. Try crimping the rubber return line while its running. Pressure would increase if the regulator is bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
flea
Member


Joined: 25 Jul 2008
Posts: 1246
Location: Raymond WA

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which one is the return line?
_________________
Killing mailboxes since 2009
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
91RSVert
Member


Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 2736
Location: AR

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smaller one.... atleast on the hardline its smaller.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flea
Member


Joined: 25 Jul 2008
Posts: 1246
Location: Raymond WA

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no difference when pinched off with channel locks.
_________________
Killing mailboxes since 2009
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then somethings wrong with the pump, or the install. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys remember what pump went in the car? Did the wrong one get bought?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flea
Member


Joined: 25 Jul 2008
Posts: 1246
Location: Raymond WA

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't remember what pump was bought. Obviously I thought it was the right one, I know there were no markings on it. I knew even then that I needed 40 PSI vs the 19 or 20 of the TBI pump, so I was looking for some marking to confirm that it was the right one.

I simply don't have any way of dropping the tank here, so I'm gonna have to do some thinkin on it.

Being on a budget sucks.

_________________
Killing mailboxes since 2009
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
91RSVert
Member


Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 2736
Location: AR

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did a swap on my s10, I put a higher pressure pump in it. Since the pump was used it didnt come with a short section of hose that was needed. First time I hit that key, it split the old section of hose right in half. It ran, but ran like total crap.

IIRC these camaros have same setup. You could have split that hose, or not gotten it on right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i've got some real bad news for you Jim. I was just out in the barn and the box for the new fuel pump was still there. So I took the part # off of it. Airtex E3902. Just crossed it on the O-really site. Fits TBI trucks and cars. Sad You bought the wrong pump. At least now you know.

I did see one error in their listings. Did you by chance ask for a pump for a 92? Becuase they've got a mistake saying it fits 92 camaro tpi. But that is the only 1 of 485 cars in the reference for tpi. Every other listing is TBI.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 4417
Location: Gresham, OR

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

That sucks but at least we know. 20 psi @ the rail on tpi no bueno.

-Schultzy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
flea
Member


Joined: 25 Jul 2008
Posts: 1246
Location: Raymond WA

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Brandon, I didn't ask for a 92 pump. I wasn't even thinking 92 had any relevance to the project.
But its all good I guess, I'll get a pump in a couple of weeks and see about getting that put in. I will probably just take it to a shop, I don't have the tools to drop the axle here so I'm SOL as far as that goes. Too bad too, its a pretty simple job now that I've participated in it once.

_________________
Killing mailboxes since 2009
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Al Hasse
Member


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 4379
Location: Bremerton, WA

1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the fix. I have that same swap coming up in the near future. Sis gave me a Summit gift card which goes toward a fuel pump, I have a tank to swap in also, and I found a TBI mounted variable regulator that will work nicely.
_________________
92 Camaro
89 Camaro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
flea
Member


Joined: 25 Jul 2008
Posts: 1246
Location: Raymond WA

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything got swapped.
Motor.
ECM
prom.
Exhaust.
Cat got swapped for nothing at all, just more pipe.
Harness.
Plugs
wires
Igntion coil
Cap and rotor
pump

All of it in one fell swoop, it's no surprise that there was some hang up. Trying to figure out which part are ordered for the 88 motor which are ordered for the 91 chassis and which are ordered for the 92 ECM. More importantly how to get it all speaking the same language so Frankencamaro will run. A fuel Pump sounds like a step closer.

_________________
Killing mailboxes since 2009
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup yup
_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not such a frankenstein.. You can order everything for a 91. That ecm was used from 90-92 for tpi. Your harness is for a 91 just like your car.. There's only a couple things mechanically different in the motor, which make no difference with the electronics. So order everything for a 91 tpi unless you are talking heads and valve covers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
flea
Member


Joined: 25 Jul 2008
Posts: 1246
Location: Raymond WA

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% finished now.
Speedo still doesn't work, everything but the gauge has been replaced, so it must be that.
Oil pressure gauge is pegged. . .sender is not sendering.
Now the hatch won't open. . .I think it's haunted. Fought with it for years to get it to close, now that it is closed, it won't open. No one likes a smart a$$ ghost.

Thanks go out to
Mike for the motor.
Brandon for the much needed help with the swap and working out of various bugs.
Skyler for the exhaust and other assorted goodies.
Al for the wheels, although I bet you didn't know anything about it.
Aaron for the help with the fuel pump swap.
Paul for always being right. . .it was the wrong pump, I asked for the correct one, but got the wrong one. I've never heard of getting the wrong part from a parts house, who'd a thunk it.
And to everyone else that offered suggestions. The input was appreciated.

Anyway thanks a ton to everyone involved. Next time I feel like spending too much money on a car, I will just buy a new one.

_________________
Killing mailboxes since 2009
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group