Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hmmmm.... something look funny to you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious what LS1 brakes might do so I measured out the C4 HD rotors and found it spaces out the wheel 3/8 inch. I stacked up 3/8 inch worth of washers and put them on my stock brakes. It might work but the wheel is right out there and I'm not sure if it will rub on the fender when the suspension compresses. I need to get the engine in the car to know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm... not to be a dick here, Jon, but how attached are you to those rims? Seems to me that's the crux of your problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
I was curious what LS1 brakes might do so I measured out the C4 HD rotors and found it spaces out the wheel 3/8 inch. I stacked up 3/8 inch worth of washers and put them on my stock brakes. It might work but the wheel is right out there and I'm not sure if it will rub on the fender when the suspension compresses. I need to get the engine in the car to know.


Maybe it's because I just got off work here but I'm not sure what you're trying to express that you did... you stacked washers on your factory brakes for what reason now? Factory wheel or the ROH?

Sidenote, wtf ever happened to ROH? For awhile all I was seeing on thirdgens were the RTs and the Snypers. Now you NEVER see them?

_________________

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the wheels are the major problem. Are you thinking of going LS1? You know, you could do the drifter rice thing and stretch some 215/40 rubber on those rims. Hehe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I like my ROH wheels a lot. They look very nice and the price was right. New wheels are an option but everything I have found that is nice is very expensive. Options suck in economy wheels for our cars now that ROH can't be purchased.

Which is a perfect lead in to let you know that ROH is still in business but they are no longer importing to North America. Any new ROH wheels you see for sale is old inventory that is being used up. When they are gone, they are gone forever.

Ian, I was trying to see where the wheel would sit if I did an LS1 brake swap. I added 3/8 inch stackup to my stock brakes to simulate the thickness of the LS1 rotor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
Ian, I was trying to see where the wheel would sit if I did an LS1 brake swap. I added 3/8 inch stackup to my stock brakes to simulate the thickness of the LS1 rotor.


Ooooooh. Makes mucho more sense now. FWIW, My fronts put the wheel almost flush with the outside and I don't rub under normal driving.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the 3/8 inch spacer, if I put a plum-bob on the fender then the string is getting pushed out by the tire.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much room do you have from tread to fenderlip? What springs are you using again?

Edit; If I dropped a plumb bob from my fenderlip it would hit the sidewall bulge and be ~1/4" from my wheel lip.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine measures 1/2 inch from outside fender lip to edge of tire. I have particularly small tires for the rim to help clearance to the sway bar. It will stick out more if I use a bigger tire.

I was using Suspension Techniques springs that are pretty stiff, but those didn't fit in the spring pockets of the BMR A-arms. Now I have a set of Moroso Trick Springs so there is going to be a lot of wheel travel.

I'm considering some CCW modular wheels so I can buy new center sections if this issue ever happens again. Thinking about a set of 16 inch rims on the back with some chubby Mickey Thompson drag radials.

http://www.ccwheel.com/wheelprofiles-display.php?id=LM20
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dewey316
The Lama


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 7295
Location: Bringing the tech

1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCW wheels are sick! I say do it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you guys know that BMW wheels fit on our cars? Those are a heck of a lot cheaper than what I've been looking at.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,.. they're actually just a hair off on the bolt pattern.. difference from metric to standard.. but it doesnt seem to bother.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, why didn't you tell me this earlier??? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cause I figured you were like me.. and that "hair" off stuff would bother me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does bother me, but not half as much as the fact that I can four BMW wheels for the price of one CCW wheel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why worry about wheels til you are all done anyway? 10 years from now they may have some really sweet wheels out there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
DBL_TKE
Member


Joined: 28 Feb 2007
Posts: 1505
Location: Aloha, OR

1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QwkTrip wrote:
Using the 3/8 inch spacer, if I put a plum-bob on the fender then the string is getting pushed out by the tire.


Roll and pull the fenders, maybe even dial in .5* of camber. That's an easy fix. If you really like your wheels you can make the car fit them.

QwkTrip wrote:
Did you guys know that BMW wheels fit on our cars? Those are a heck of a lot cheaper than what I've been looking at.


I've been keeping my eye out for BMW 7 series split 5 spokes. I think they are 18x8.5/9.5 but dont be stealing my idea now Razz

_________________
Richmond 3.73 posi| 36/24 sway bars | SLP LM2 | Koni's | Ground Control 800/200 | Y2K wheels | Dyno Don headers & Y-pipe | airfoil | BBK underdrive pulleys | Raised strut mounts | Extended ball joints | LCARB'S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And their brake rotors fit as well. Same offset and you can get almost any size. But their wheels are awesome. Thats the reason I didn't get the 2" offset spacers, so I can run the 19" M3 wheels Cool
_________________
E30
86 RS - 7.4L V8 SOLD
89 RS - 3.25L V6 REMOVED
89 RS - 5.7L LT1 SOLD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.... Sure are a lot of those BMW wheels with cracks in them. They're going to live a lot harder life on my car than any BMW.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that most bmw drivers, oddly enough, don't know how to drive. Present company excluded.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group