| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
Alphius Peanut

Joined: 05 Sep 2006 Posts: 2429 Location: Grand Mound
1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:33 pm Post subject: |
|
|
The T5 was apparently swapped in sometime in 2001 according to the previous owner who had owned it since 1998.
Then it was rebuilt by an AAMCO employee after hours as a favor in 2004 and broke within a couple hundred miles.
2.77 is a little low for a T5, I agree.  _________________ 84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:52 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Check the rear deck on the motor to see if it's actually a 5.7L.
My old car had the 5.7 badges and RPO code for it and sticker under the hood..... but it was a 305.
Just sayin'. _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
fiveoformula Member

Joined: 08 Aug 2007 Posts: 1799 Location: OR
1988 Pontiac Formula
|
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:18 pm Post subject: |
|
|
When I was selling auto parts there was a customer who told me he had an IROC with a tuned port 350, he said the dealer told him it was a 305 but he said he knew it was a 350 because it took a 350 dizzy cap.  _________________
'88 FORMULA |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Alphius Peanut

Joined: 05 Sep 2006 Posts: 2429 Location: Grand Mound
1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:26 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Twilightoptics wrote: | Check the rear deck on the motor to see if it's actually a 5.7L.
My old car had the 5.7 badges and RPO code for it and sticker under the hood..... but it was a 305.
Just sayin'. |
I tried to check. Can't see diddly back there due to like 5 wiring harnesses and the VIN stamp is under the A/C bracket so I can't match that either.
If I get bored one day I will try harder to see the rear deck stamp. Its unlikely that it would be a 305, but you are right; you never know. _________________ 84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:30 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Good flashlight and mirror is your friend :O) _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Alphius Peanut

Joined: 05 Sep 2006 Posts: 2429 Location: Grand Mound
1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:55 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Well, I saw a bit of rust behind the driver's door rub strip so I pulled it off gently and a bunch of paint came off revealing even more surface rust. I might start looking for a new door. It had a bit of crash damage (really just a bump) anyway which is what started the rust. The rest of the car is solid, even if the clearcoat is a little worn.
This thing might get a Maaco special and new IROC decals after it's on the road to make it look nicer. _________________ 84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Alphius Peanut

Joined: 05 Sep 2006 Posts: 2429 Location: Grand Mound
1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:32 am Post subject: |
|
|
Now that I've slept on it, I think a new door is the way to go. That's part of how I talked the guy down, you could see rust bubbling under the red paint on the door right at the rub strip under the door handle. I was a little discouraged by how much was actually there, but I knew it needed to be done anyway.
On this specific picture you can see how the rear end of the rub strip on the door is kind of pulling away and you can also see the rust starting to form right above it. You can also see the only two noticeable dents on the car, one on the front fender lip and one right in front of the gas door.
Regardless of cosmetic issues, step 1 is to get it on the road (with all gears!). I will be working on that through this weekend. _________________ 84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:54 am Post subject: |
|
|
Do you have a DA? If it's doomed to be repainted and can't be touched up then I would buzz down any areas to see how bad they are before you do any work.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Alphius Peanut

Joined: 05 Sep 2006 Posts: 2429 Location: Grand Mound
1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:07 am Post subject: |
|
|
I think for max value it is doomed to be repainted. It literally has no clearcoat on the hood, fender tops, roof or rear deck. That's a hard sell at the price I'm thinking I would like to get eventually.
I don't have a DA. I can borrow one from my dad when it gets to that point though.
I was gonna block with 80 grit on some areas before I decide if it's worth painting.
I will look closer tonight but as far as I have seen it's the factory original paint everywhere else on the car so there shouldn't be any repaired damage.
Not gonna lie, I got pretty pissed when I peeled the strip back and a bunch of paint came with it.  _________________ 84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
jchaussee Member
Joined: 14 Nov 2010 Posts: 1318 Location: renton
|
Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:24 am Post subject: |
|
|
| At least they should be easy dents to fix. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Alphius Peanut

Joined: 05 Sep 2006 Posts: 2429 Location: Grand Mound
1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:13 am Post subject: |
|
|
| jchaussee wrote: | | At least they should be easy dents to fix. |
True, I could do this kind of bodywork with one hand tied behind my back but the rust is aggravating. I was hoping to get away with not painting it and just leaving the clearcoat issues alone since it doesn't look that bad with dull paint. Now the only way I am gonna get away with not painting it is if I can find another straight, good bright red door somewhere (and maybe a front fender to replace the dented one).
If and when I end up at the paint point I will probably do most of the prep myself then take it to Maaco for a quickie. I don't want to get upside down on this car at all since resale and profit are forefront in my mind. An '89 IROC with a nice cheap Maaco job and a new decal kit combined with a well-running 350TPI and 5-speed should still be worth a decent amount when it's all said and done. _________________ 84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
jchaussee Member
Joined: 14 Nov 2010 Posts: 1318 Location: renton
|
Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:27 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Should hopefully push her into the 5 grand range. I used to have a guy who would respray for 200 bucks , but have since lost contact |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Alphius Peanut

Joined: 05 Sep 2006 Posts: 2429 Location: Grand Mound
1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:44 am Post subject: |
|
|
Paul, I used a mirror and a bright flashlight and it is a 5.7 still. No 305 nonsense in this engine bay! _________________ 84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
RSFreak The other "John"

Joined: 23 Jan 2004 Posts: 2946 Location: Renton
1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:16 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Alphius wrote: | Paul, I used a mirror and a bright flashlight and it is a 5.7 still. No 305 nonsense in this engine bay! |
But 2.72s!  _________________ '86 Trans Am - 5.0L TPI - LT1 cam - 700R4 - WS6
'85 Camaro Berlinetta - IROC clone
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Alphius Peanut

Joined: 05 Sep 2006 Posts: 2429 Location: Grand Mound
1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:21 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| RSFreak wrote: | But 2.72s!  |
Well, to be fair, 2.77s.
Perfect for a low-end torque highway cruiser!  _________________ 84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Twilightoptics Hardcore (12sec Club)

Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Posts: 9191 Location: Auburn , WA
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:40 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Excellente! _________________ A redline a day keeps the carbon away! |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Alphius Peanut

Joined: 05 Sep 2006 Posts: 2429 Location: Grand Mound
1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:50 pm Post subject: |
|
|
1850 RPM at 70MPH with the .73 fifth trans that is in there now.
If I can't fix the trans, I'll throw in my spare one with the .63 fifth and only be spinning 1600 RPM at 70. It's like a poor man's T56!  _________________ 84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
aaron_sK Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2006 Posts: 8834 Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton
1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
|
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:37 pm Post subject: |
|
|
TPI curve + 700R4 ratios (3.07 first, 0.70 fourth) mean the 2.77's make perfect sense for a normal car.
Good to hear it is a genuine L98.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Alphius Peanut

Joined: 05 Sep 2006 Posts: 2429 Location: Grand Mound
1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
|
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:52 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| aaron_sK wrote: | | TPI curve + 700R4 ratios (3.07 first, 0.70 fourth) mean the 2.77's make perfect sense for a normal car. |
This is very true.
I'm hoping it will be livable with the 2.95 T5 first gear. Starting out in second is a horrible experience but I am assured that when first works it is perfectly livable. _________________ 84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
RSFreak The other "John"

Joined: 23 Jan 2004 Posts: 2946 Location: Renton
1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS
|
Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:40 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| aaron_sK wrote: | TPI curve + 700R4 ratios (3.07 first, 0.70 fourth) mean the 2.77's make perfect sense for a normal car.
Good to hear it is a genuine L98.  |
"Normal"? Why pay the premium for the L98 if you want an automatic and low rear end ratio? I would have ordered the LB9 with T5 and 3.23s. Seems like it would be much more fun.  _________________ '86 Trans Am - 5.0L TPI - LT1 cam - 700R4 - WS6
'85 Camaro Berlinetta - IROC clone
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|