Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking about buying this...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
IROCDave
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 957
Location: Snohomish WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner of the boat I am looking at called me yesterday after he got back from taking it out on Havasu. He said it runs 74 - 76 with a 24 degree 4 blade and hits the rev limiter hard while trimmed down a touch. He said it will run over 80 with a 28 degree prop. Not bad for a family hauler that can still yank some one out of the water with 6 people in it.

Man I cant wait to pick this up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have to pick your brain about props later. I have a 302 in my lake boat and might need to learn more about props later. I was thinking of changing the intake manifold and cam for more bottom end but one thing i cant figure out is why it wont run over 24mph (per the pitot tube speedo).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jchaussee
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 1318
Location: renton


PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

76 knots or MPH? That's cruisin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IROCDave
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 957
Location: Snohomish WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been out of the boating world for 20 years and it has obviously advanced. You can PM me or give me a call, might be able to give you some decent advice. First time I saw a 4 blade prop was a month ago. From what I can tell they became the norm in the early 90's.
Back in the day if your ride could swing a 3 blade non cupped 23 pitch it should have been hitting 68MPH at 5200RPM pending hull effeciency. Put a 25 degree on and would be a dog out of the hole but most BBC's could hit 5200 RPM and turn low 70's.
We had a guy bring a 21.5 Carrera low profile sterndrive in to have us figure out what was wrong with it. It had a built 502, 27 degree prop and would run well into the 80+ MPH range. I went for a ride with the owner and the boat rode wolid until it hit 80. After 80 it would get so for out of the water that it would ride up on the rounded portion of the hull at the back, wobble, then fall of to the side. The lifting strakes in the hull would grab and pitch the boat sideways even though the drive was pointed straight. Not much you can do with that other then trim it down and use the front of the deep V to help keep it straight, which kills MPH.

Thats why manufactures started using notched / stepped hulls and flat pads at the back of the hull.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IROCDave
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 957
Location: Snohomish WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the deal is done, Lisa and I will be Arizona bound Wednesday night. The kids are going to my parents, dog goes to my brother. If the boat is in good condition we will be back in town Sunday with this -





Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Schultzy89GTA
M.R.A. (11sec Club)


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 4417
Location: Gresham, OR

1989 Pontiac GTA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I hope it all works out for you guys!

-Schultzy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
IROCDave
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 957
Location: Snohomish WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa and I will be leaving town tomorrow night at 6:00pm. We plan to take 90 east to 82 to 84 and drop down in LV, then head southwest on several HWY's to Mesa. If the weather and pass conditions suck we will be coming back on I5. Not a fan of towing anything in the snow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IROCDave
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 957
Location: Snohomish WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, the last 3 days have been a blur. We left Mesa AZ at 2:30PM Friday and arrived home today at 4:00pm. I drove the whole way, 1500+ miles, non stop except for fuel and food. I am so friggin tired, havent slept for two days...
3,300 miles in 2 days of driving. Lisa drove for about 200 miles, I handled the rest.
We didnt have much time for pics, but did snap a couple.
Boat being shrink wrapped -


Boat at Carls Junior in LA getting a couple Bacon Western Cheese burgers -



And last but not least, boat infront of my house after 26 hours of driving, without sleep..man I am so friggin tired. Last layed a head to pillow Thursday night.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IROCDave
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 957
Location: Snohomish WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost forgot, this thing pulls like a freight train. Punch it at 25ish and it pins you to the seat until it hits the rev limiter hard at 72 MPH a couple of seconds later. I see a larger prop in it's future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Where are you going to put that thing!? Very Happy
_________________

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
IROCDave
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 957
Location: Snohomish WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is to long to fit in the garage so as of this moment the plan is to pour a pad in the back yard ( left side of the house) and put a tent type full cover over it. Wish I had room to build a conditioned shop.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool deal, nice looking boat. Does it need any immediate attention?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
IROCDave
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 957
Location: Snohomish WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GPS based speedo isnt working, other than all it needs is warm weather and a full tank of gas Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IROCDave wrote:
The GPS based speedo isnt working, other than all it needs is warm weather and a full tank of gas Very Happy


Good luck!

_________________

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
IROCDave
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 957
Location: Snohomish WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found something else that is needed. The surge brakes do not work. Pulled the master cylinder fill cap and found goowy sludge in it. The brakes did not work at all on the trip home. The trailer has surge / disc brakes. With all the gunk in the MS I am geussing that there is a leak and all of the lines need to be flushed and the leak fixed. Might need a MS also.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iansane
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 5742
Location: Bothell

1991 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would've presumed a boat that big would have electric brakes. Wow. Crappy.
_________________

Quote:
Sometimes I actually think I'm slightly retarded in the mouth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about something like this, Dave?

http://www.easternmarine.com/dexter-electric-hydraulic-disc-brake-actuator-k71-651-00

I have never used one, but it seems preferable to pulling the hubs off to convert to full electric.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IROCDave
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 957
Location: Snohomish WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats pretty cool, might have to look into it a little more later.
Havent had much time to even think about the boat since I got back. Work blew up, been running two shifts and spending 12 hour a day babysitting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IROCDave
Member


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 957
Location: Snohomish WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finaly the weather and work cooperated and I was able to remove the shrink wrap tonight. I didnt have much time to scour the boat and look for + and -'s when my wife and I were in AZ. So these are things I discovered in a breif amount of time tonight.

The stereo system is friggin stupid. 4each 8" woofers, 2 each 3 way 6x9's, 10 each 3 way 6" and who knows haw many watts go to the speakers. It is stupid loud.

There is an electrical problem. I am guessing bad grounds. Gauges go weird when the PERKO switch is turned on. They work fine when the engine is running though.
It has 3 each gel batteries and the PERKO switch is not wired correctly.

The boat looks baddddd when cleaned up.






Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blue89
Member


Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 3482
Location: Bellingham/Eugene

1986 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the resistance through the perko. Maybe the switch is giving out?

That boat looks great.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group