Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starter issues...again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jchaussee
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 1318
Location: renton


PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct. I didn't think about headers and how close and hot everything gets
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The originals are direct drive. Outdated technology.
_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cooked a solenoid every 2-3 months and the starter itself about every 8 months when I had an original direct drive. It sucked.

LT4 starter slapped in and it's been good for about 3 years now.

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My LSx is a bit of a problem for starter. I needed something a little more stout than stock to crank the engine. Unfortunately, the gear reduction starter I bought *might* have fit with stock manifolds (doubt it), but definitely not with my headers. And it's not just a matter of fitting because you don't want the ambient air around solenoid above 120C and the skin temp of the exhaust is HOT. Fortunately, the starter has an indexing front housing so I mounted the starter upside down and I'll have to drill new drain holes and move the vent tubes. Hoping it works out okay with my tubular K-member. Definitely gives the solenoid some space away from the headers though.

If the starter solenoid cooks then I guess I'll have to make a thin aluminum heat shield to protect the starter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They make starter blankets.
_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will keep heat in and probably hold moisture and cause corrosion. Starters generate a lot of heat themselves that needs to dissipate.

A piece of metal heat shield does wonders.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jchaussee
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 1318
Location: renton


PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/pts/2843674508.html
guaranteed for a year
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QwkTrip
11sec Club


Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 3942
Location: Peoria, IL

1989 Pontiac Firebird

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitachi style, or Hitachi? Big difference.

$59 is in the territory of what it costs just to buy a decent automotive starter from manufacturer, and that doesn't even include store markups. The only way to get store price that low is for it to be a Chinese knockoff. And the copiers do not understand why the design is the way it is. Run away and don't look back.

Besides, I despise copiers. They hurt good businesses and have disregard for the law. And seriously, do you think a guy selling on Craigslist is really going to be around when you need to make claim on that warranty?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ThunderChicken from down South a ways. All Chinese knockoff sh**. All of it. Try finding a brand name for anything they sell. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jchaussee
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 1318
Location: renton


PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya thunder chicken ranch. I want to check out thier store.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? I wouldn't buy anything from them on principal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jchaussee
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 1318
Location: renton


PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have none. If its Chinese and lasts while I need it and is half price. Si be it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jchaussee wrote:
I have none. If its Chinese and lasts while I need it and is half price. Si be it



LMAO.

I'm reminded of George McFly as he once said, "You're my density."





It wont last. That's the point EVERYONE is trying to make.

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
jchaussee
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 1318
Location: renton


PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure of the percentages butvi would assume well over half of everything you have is either Chinese or Mexican made. Some last. Some don't. It all Has to do with quality control.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the well below cost knock offs have zero quality control.
_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
jchaussee
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 1318
Location: renton


PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably would not use a knock off starter on my Camaro, mainly because a pain in the ass to r and r. But I would roll with one on my truck. That is how I determine off ibwould use a knockoff. Ease of replacement , cost of part and if it fails what negative impact would it have.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jchaussee
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 1318
Location: renton


PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another think you have to remember with Chinese knock offs is they have have a long ways over the last few years. A lot of them are just no named stuff of the brand name stuff just so they can enter more markets.the cost of laborbis so low that they can sell a name brand part that we buy for 500 for 50. Case in point. I pad. Cast like 6 dollars to make. Yet people pay 600. And machining has come a long way. I was looking at buying a taruas 357 mag. They are considered lower tier guns, yet the machining and tooling is almost on par with companies such as Smith and Wesson, yet they half the cost.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
91camaro_rs
Member


Joined: 03 Dec 2008
Posts: 1712
Location: Fox Island, Wa

1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do have headers which could be heating up the starter, but i dont think thats the issue because the first starter i had lasted a year, and i can drive for at least 30 mins turn it off and turn it back on and its fine, today i drove maybe 5 mins and it did its click thing again, i wouldnt think thats enough time to heat soak it
_________________
Photobucket
'91 Camaro RS 5.7 TPI- 700r4- 3.27 posi- headers- chambered exhaust-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jchaussee
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 1318
Location: renton


PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some are against it, but maybe try your luck with a jy starter of a lower Milage third gen. May solve your issues for a while.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jchaussee wrote:
Some last. Some don't. It all Has to do with quality control.


I agree with that. The issue is these low-tier sh**hole factories pumping out these ultra-cheap knockoffs. The dead giveaway is that they don't ever list any manufacturers info. No brand names, nothing. If someone is selling me something but wont tell me who made it I'm just going to go ahead and assume it came from Ching-Chong Charlie's Chinese Slave Factory, Rat Poison Distillery and Baby Formula Bottling Plant.

I have bought lousy American products and great Chinese products. Shoddy cheap garbage I will never buy, regardless of where it comes from or how much of a "bargain" it is.

Luke, go find a good used LT1 starter and be done with this BS. I got a factory starter for my IROC off of LS1tech for like $20 shipped. Worked great for years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Garage All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group