Cascade Crew Forum Index Cascade Crew
Message Forums
 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MegaSquirt Build Log
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
I don't need MS anymore because I ended up with a stock TII Rotary ecu/wiring that's upgraded.... but I still kinda want to!

Looks like there is the good info on setting it up for a rotary and it might make my wiring easier than hacking into this gnarly harness.



Hmm...... Oh well, gotta get a turbo and the motor prep finished... just as soon as I move!


Good Work Gabe!


Thanks!

Are you going to be running a 13b with the TII setup? That's basically an FC swap in that case, right? Sounds like fun. I've always like RX7s, in fact when I was looking for my first car the choice was between an FC and a thirdgen Camaro. Wink

Keep in mind the cardinal law of turbo rotaries:

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Yeah that's what I'm doing. I haven't found an answer if the MS can use the rotary Knock Sensor stuff yet though.


I've got the motor and all the mazda stuff but it's such a junky integrated system I think I'm going to ditch it and sell those parts off. It should fund the MS just fine. They run a ghetto version of a MAF they call the air flow meter. It works like edelbrock carb secondaries. It's dumb and they are DAMN expensive.





Is there a place to get tried and true base maps for stock engines?



Firmware is just the integrated software on the ECU right? It doesn't have anything to do with the tune....?

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilightoptics wrote:
LOL Yeah that's what I'm doing. I haven't found an answer if the MS can use the rotary Knock Sensor stuff yet though.


I've got the motor and all the mazda stuff but it's such a junky integrated system I think I'm going to ditch it and sell those parts off. It should fund the MS just fine. They run a ghetto version of a MAF they call the air flow meter. It works like edelbrock carb secondaries. It's dumb and they are DAMN expensive.





Is there a place to get tried and true base maps for stock engines?



Firmware is just the integrated software on the ECU right? It doesn't have anything to do with the tune....?


MS understands a knock sensor signal that's been translated by an ESC module or equivalent. For instance, a GM ESC outputs 8-10V as long as there is no knock, then pulls the signal to ground momentarily for every knock event, and that's the kind of knock logic that MS understands. I have no clue how the rotary knock stuff works, but if it's similar it should work. If it's like later GM systems where the ECU understands and decodes the raw knock sensor signal (integrated ESC), then that won't work.

There is this though, it may be an option, though I've heard it's finicky to set up:
http://www.viatrack.ca/

AFMs are lame-o big time.

There's no central source for "base maps" but you may be able to find something on an RX7 enthusiast forum or on http://msruns.com/. I don't know. I always have liked starting from scratch on tuning because I feel that I gain a better understanding of the quirks of the engine that way; I've never really started with someone else's tune and simply modified it.

Firmware is the software, you're correct. The tune is independent from the firmware. However, a tune that was written and designed in one family of the firmware cannot be loaded on a different version. The individual tables (VE, Spark, AFR) can be exported and re-imported on a different version, but not the entire tune. By different family, I mean they are separated like this:
MS1
MS1/Extra
MS2
MS2/Extra
MS3

The "Extra" versions typically include many of the features that made it into the next processor family, for instance MS2/Extra was sort of a testbed for many of the features that are now part of MS3.

So, I am planning on upgrading my standard MS2 to MS2/Extra in my Camaro. I will not be able to import my tune (stored in a *.msq file on my PC) into the MS2/Extra firmware. I will have to export my tables and reimport in Extra after setting up all the constants and warmup tables etc. Then of course I'll have a lot of tuning to do since I'm switching heads. Very Happy

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all makes sense.

Since I have no idea how the rotary should be set up, it'd be nice to find someone that knows, that made a tune for a stock TII motor.

The TII uses a knock module, and a sensor. I have no idea what the output is though.

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
aaron_sK
Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 8834
Location: Back in beautiful Tacompton

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.aaroncake.net/rx-7/megasquirt/ProgramMS2.asp

That dude ditched the knock sensors, however.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help too?

They even link to Aaron's article at the bottom. Wink They at least give you all the ignition settings and stuff but no tables. Sad

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_mazda_fc_rx7.htm

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Leejo2005
Member


Joined: 12 Jul 2009
Posts: 466
Location: Kennewick


PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you did your MS-2 on your Camaro did you make a new harness or did you use the TPI adapter plate?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leejo2005 wrote:
When you did your MS-2 on your Camaro did you make a new harness or did you use the TPI adapter plate?


I made a new harness. I had a MAF TPI harness, but I wanted to run several things differently than GM did. I did harvest connectors from the MAF harness however. Wink

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Leejo2005
Member


Joined: 12 Jul 2009
Posts: 466
Location: Kennewick


PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If and when I do it, I'll probably do the same. The wiring is over 20 years old and not getting any newer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron cake ran Ms1 and guessed at ms2. I think I want ms2 extra.
_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does have VE and Timing maps on that MS2 page for a 13b turbo at up to 20ish psi. Wink
_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. I'm doing it. I'll need your help though!

As soon as I get everything moved, I'll get to work on it and sell the stock ECM and parts.

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badass! I'm in. Very Happy

Where are you moving to?

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
RSFreak
The other "John"


Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Posts: 2946
Location: Renton

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I have an extra TPI laying around and a carbed small block... All I would have to do is upgrade the fuel system to stock LB9 or better and Megasquirt it! Cool
_________________
'86 Trans Am - 5.0L TPI - LT1 cam - 700R4 - WS6
'85 Camaro Berlinetta - IROC clone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking like Auburn.
_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.. looks like this is the cool thing to do LOL I'm seriously debating it myself. Probably for the 74 though..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Twilightoptics
Hardcore (12sec Club)


Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Posts: 9191
Location: Auburn , WA

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's the "cool" thing to do... but with no one having concise knowledge about what the TII ECM needs and doesn't need... it just sounds easier to get rid of the pig and it's fuel pump relay resistor nonsense and needing a special orifice for the MAP sensor or the map sensor reads erratically........

Yeah....

_________________
A redline a day keeps the carbon away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
chevymad
Master B


Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Posts: 5477


1987 Pontiac Formula

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I definatly see why you'd do it Paul. Just mean that with Gabe, Aaron, you, possibly me and/or John.. It seems to be the crew thing at the moment.

I've been thinking about efi for a long time and I like electronic projects, so this might be fun. But i'm also cheap as hell.. so we'll see. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
jchaussee
Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2010
Posts: 1318
Location: renton


PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been an interesting read. I don't know enough about efi or management of it, bit if I do get the hang of it, nothing seems better then to be able to fine tune it yourself. I have read a bit about megasquirt on the intraweb since this post and I find it pretty cool.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alphius
Peanut


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 2429
Location: Grand Mound

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, a trip to Rat Shack and an hour or so of work and the MegaSquirt is completely done. No more pictures (the additional circuits were pretty boring) but I am happy to say it is all packed up and ready to go!

Now Aaron and I just need to build a wiring harness and get it all attached to the engine. I kind of guesstimated a decent base map for the system and programmed everything in, so hopefully it'll fire and run without too much fiddling with the tune.

Brandon, I know you would enjoy a MegaSquirt. Wink

_________________
84 Camaro Z28 - LS1/T56
85 Silverado - Low and Slow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cascade Crew Forum Index -> Back Porch All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group